WotC “Atomic Arcade”— WotC’s New Digital Platform?

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers: Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive...

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers:
  • Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices
  • Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures
  • Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games via a global network

1747059F-FBAE-4E84-ABA5-1472765AA3EC.jpeg

Earlier in the year, rumours spread regarding WotC’s plans for its own virtual tabletop platform (VTT) following a survey in which they gauged opinions and allegedly showed off graphically rich 3D screenshots.

D7AB56AE-A866-4333-9E26-3D96E3D7B751.jpeg

“TSDR” is the application’s status which reads:
LIVE/APPLICATION/Awaiting Examination
The trademark application has been accepted by the Office (has met the minimum filing requirements) and has not yet been assigned to an examiner.

New application will be assigned to an examining attorney approximately 6 months after filing date.

yup that is the one. The chart near the bottom is crystal clear. D&D is a fraction of a fraction in the Hasbro empire. Does the W&D division have the highest profit margin, no doubt. But overall D&D is a chunk inside that.

This sound like a streaming service, but for videogames, but also other products as PDFs of TTRPGs, interactive comics, webomics (gamebooks like Endless Quest serie?) and maybe a limited version of streaming service (but nothing to be rival for Netflix, Disney+ or DiscoveryFamily).

Is it a bad idea? Not, but it needs the right work by the right people, and time and money. Who would pay for it? Parents who want family-friendly titles to enjoy with their children. Or adults who miss the retro/vintage videogames.

Osgood

Adventurer
If they are planning their own digital tool in the vein of DDB, I really hope they just acquire or license the existing tool rather from starting over from scratch. It would be a lot less effort on WotC's part, less risk of customer backlash, and mergers and acquisitions is the way all the cool kids do business these days anyway.

Re-purchasing content sucks, but with the anniversary edition on the way, I think that's kinda baked into the cake. For me the real issue is that it's taken Beyond a while to get to become a useful tool (and it still has a lot to do IMO). I have no interest in losing that to watch them flail around on a new character builder for a couple of years, never really getting around to any DM tools.

PS. I've never seen any Critical Role, so I can't speak to it specifically, but how did this thread get derailed so fast?!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nope, you are not even close.

My numbers were 2020, yours are 2021. Mine were for the year, yours are for one quarter.

Consumer Division Q3 profit = 210.4 million. W&D profit = 159.4 milion, and that includes Magic items.

The Consumer division made that 210.4 million out of 1,282.7 million in revenue - Hasbro got to keep about 16% of what it took in.

W&D made its 159.4 million out of only 360.2 million revenue - Hasbro got to keep 44% of what it took in.

In this sense, W&D is about 2.75 times better than Consumer in making money for Hasbro.

It is indeed a good subset of the overall chart. You have cut out the revenue section, which shows that the W&D revenue is only 18% of Hasbro's total revenues. But W&D profits are 43% of Hasbro's profits. That being said, D&D is a chunk of that W&D profit. Now imagine how much profit DBB, Roll20, or any other affiliates contribute to that W&D profit. We are into fractions of fractions of fractions. I doubt Hasbro has given much thought to DBB and Roll20 when it comes to launching a digital distribution system. Centralizing digital releases, like new D&D books, might make sense, instead of licensing others. And as I said, if Hasbro wants to incorporate a VTT inside that digital rollout, it makes even more sense to crush the competition by tying Hasbro's digital offerings to that new VTT.

darjr

I crit!
My numbers were 2020, yours are 2021. Mine were for the year, yours are for one quarter.

The Consumer division made that 210.4 million out of 1,282.7 million in revenue - Hasbro got to keep about 16% of what it took in.

W&D made its 159.4 million out of only 360.2 million revenue - Hasbro got to keep 44% of what it took in.

In this sense, W&D is about 2.75 times better than Consumer in making money for Hasbro.
Look also at the 9month ending numbers

darjr

I crit!
@Vince_Snetterton considering the cheapness of licensing vs creating things my bet is a large part of the cheap profit WotC made IS in fact licensing to DDB and role20 and also the Magic licensors

Edit to add I dint mean to use the word cheap badly

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads