D&D 5E 0 Hit Points and Polymorph

Uller

Adventurer
Without the errata I'd have allowed it with the caveat that if there is spill over damage after the new form hits 0hp it will result in a death save failure. The polymorphed character would no nger be unconscious or dying since those are a result of being at 0hp, which they no longer are. But when their new form reverts they will again be at 0hp, unconscious and dying.

It's a fourth level spell. It ought to be powerful and versatile but with potential risks. I don't see a downside.

My group has no cleric. They do have a paladin. At 9th level they frequently find themselves in need of a healer. Polymorph serves as a nice filler but definitely has its costs (4th level concentration spell). It is usually either the monk or the paladin that is T-rexified so they can't use their other kewl abilities.

Here is a question: can you polymorph a petrified character? I'd say sure...they remain petrified...but might be handy for moving a petrified ally to safety.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I would say it works fine. I'd even allow temporary hit point spells to revive characters. I don't see any benefit to keeping a player unconscious just because one specific category of spell (hit point restoration) is not currently available. Especially since the alternatives have significant risks and drawbacks.

I would apply the same logic to other form-altering conditions that require specific magic to cure such as petrification: polymorph can give you temporary respite.

Remove ads