• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1001 New uses for hero points

Aramax

First Post
Ok the way I use Hero points is Ive made a stack of cards w/ a bunch of different abilities and hand them out,I dont use RAW,so lets come up w/ a lot of creative ways to use hero points-remember these are not automaticly available and should be given out and then put back in the 'deck'

1)Make an immediate 5' step
2)lose 1 con,you are no longer dead
3) add3 to any allies roll
4)all allys get d6 temp hp
5)use of the spell doom
6 use of the spell bless
7)use of the spell bane
8)add 2 to allys ac for 1 round instantly
9)ditto8 for self
10)regain hero card just used
11)ally regains hero card just used

ok its a good start,I got the ball rolling now RUN w/it!

I like the use of cards. We use the crit cards and they are always a fun time drooling.

I was thinking about using magic cards to represent psionic combat. It runs along the hyperconscious d20 where there are dreamscape terrain, except we replace the 6 terrains for the 6 terrains of mtg. You populate your deck with lands and spells. You draw seven cards and can play all the land as a free action. You can only play lands up to your spell level. The spells mimic the psionic power in the handbooks but there is an added element of psychic defenders (in the form of dreamscape summons). Non psionic players draw from a random deck and can only play summons as defenders. They can draw +1 card for every +1 int bonus and can choose only 1 defender, then they discard and only draw again when their defender dies.

I'm sorry if I'm boring you with all this, I think your hero cards are a great idea. Anything random can be alot of fun.

Cheers,

Aramax

First Post
I like the use of cards. We use the crit cards and they are always a fun time drooling.

I was thinking about using magic cards to represent psionic combat. It runs along the hyperconscious d20 where there are dreamscape terrain, except we replace the 6 terrains for the 6 terrains of mtg. You populate your deck with lands and spells. You draw seven cards and can play all the land as a free action. You can only play lands up to your spell level. The spells mimic the psionic power in the handbooks but there is an added element of psychic defenders (in the form of dreamscape summons). Non psionic players draw from a random deck and can only play summons as defenders. They can draw +1 card for every +1 int bonus and can choose only 1 defender, then they discard and only draw again when their defender dies.

I'm sorry if I'm boring you with all this, I think your hero cards are a great idea. Anything random can be alot of fun.

Cheers,
Joah casts dispell crickets-YEA!

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Sorry for the crickets. I tried Hero Points for the first time in our last session. I've been reluctant because I felt Action Points ruined our last 3.5 campaign. After our Hero Point experiment, I am opting to not use them. Even with only 3 points per level (and possible hero point spells), it played out poorly and reminded us heartily of the failed Action Point issues we had previously. So, no Hero Points for our game, from now on.

I'm none too excited about the mechanic, so I can't compel myself to be creative with your thread.

For me Hero Points are meh...

LS

First Post
Hero points have always seemed way too meta-game for me.

I recently decided to start allowing my players to burn XP to achieve the same effect as hero points, but I prefer *fewer* options, rather than *more.* If the player can convince me this is something their character could do in a moment of adrenalin-fueled desperation, then I'll let them do it.

Otherwise, it's just encouraging players to think outside the game.

I was thinking to day that it would be nice if we could use cards to minimize the rules instead of adding rules and effects. The cards would represent the state of the character and would be used to by pass certain game mechanics, such as automatically passing a dangerous maneuver, or automatically defeating a non-boss battle, etc.

So for a stretch of the imagination-- if a character has full everything, no damage, he has a green card that he can toss to pass any test. I better gets back to programming unity if this is all I gots, heh heh

Remove ads