Unearthed Arcana 16 New UA Feats: THE POLL!

Which of the new UA Feats do you like?

I agree. It is also a problem that games with guns should probably award proficiency to people with martial weapon proficiency, but that's not how the game works so far. There also should probably be some active ability in the feat, but I think it works okay as is.
The proficiency part of the feat may be wasted, but it does allow a character without martial weapons proficiency to become proficient in Firearms if they are martial weapons for example.

The ignore loading effect is a bit boring, but it does address the main issue that a martial-type character would have with firearms, as with crossbows.

Hussar

Legend
Chef seems to be the only shoo in right now.

The rest seem to be hovering around the 50-65 mark with a couple of exceptions. Poisoner seems to be not so good, although, I imagine it's for the same reason Gunner isn't getting vote - most games don't use guns or poison.

The Warlock invocation not giving a warlock cantrip is lame.
All other spell-granting feats either give two spells or a spell and 1-2 cantrips.
Magic Initiate (Warlock) already does that.

This ability can grant infinite castings of some first level spells, or an effect more powerful than any 1st level spell.

Seriously tho: If you don't use feats, or artificer, or guns... Don't go about downvoting this UA into the ground when the stuff in there would have no impact on your game!
It kinda does though. It means you have to spend an extra 10 minutes in session zero explaining to players why you campaign setting has no guns, or cope with an angry player who has chosen the Gunner feat and can't find a gun to use it with.

Bagpuss

Legend
I worry about how easy Tandem Tactician has made it to get advantage. So as a bonus action you can give advantage on attack rolls to two PCs within 15ft.

Undrave

Legend
It kinda does though. It means you have to spend an extra 10 minutes in session zero explaining to players why you campaign setting has no guns, or cope with an angry player who has chosen the Gunner feat and can't find a gun to use it with.

Oh wow... a WHOLE ten minutes?! :rolleyes: Poor little you... just going "No feats/guns/Artificer" totally takes ten minutes. Yeah that's totally worth ruining the fun of people who want more feats...That's not going to ruin your game or make it less fun.

I worry about how easy Tandem Tactician has made it to get advantage. So as a bonus action you can give advantage on attack rolls to two PCs within 15ft.

Heh... Advantage is already cheap. It's worth an ASI on a class with no good bonus action abilities.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I try to impose Disadvantage as often as I grant Advantage...I find the game runs a little more balanced. I give enemy spellcasters the Frostbite cantrip, for example, and make heavy use of things like cover, exhaustion, blindness, poison, and so forth. It's not so much for giving Disadvantage; I'm more interested in removing Advantage and restoring the balance. (And I think it's more interesting than just trying to inflict damage every round.)

I try to impose Disadvantage as often as I grant Advantage...I find the game runs a little more balanced. I give enemy spellcasters the Frostbite cantrip, for example, and make heavy use of things like cover, exhaustion, blindness, poison, and so forth. It's not so much for giving Disadvantage; I'm more interested in removing Advantage and restoring the balance. (And I think it's more interesting than just trying to inflict damage every round.)

I think this is one of those things you balance group to group. My players are less hellbent on exploiting the system for near perma-advantage, so I feel it would be punishing them unduly if I were so zealous to all but require them to optimize their tactics or suffer disadvantage.

It certainly is a great equalizer, though, and it's why as much as it can be frustrating that they don't have stacking advantage mechanics to prevent one disadvantage from cancelling like 3 or 4 advantages, sometimes it can also be good at times for the sake of balance that all one has to do is seek a single disadvantage to equalize the field.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Does that not already happen, with firearms being in the DMG, mentioned in the Artificer class, and the Gunslinger (Matt Mercer's subclass)?

If none of that has effected your games, and you're willing to get rid of something someone else finds fun just to get rid of 10 minutes of explaining your world to players, I guess that just seems a bit selfish to me.

Remove ads