Unearthed Arcana 16 New UA Feats: THE POLL!

Which of the new UA Feats do you like?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
But, by putting the firearms in a player-facing book it turns the conversation around, with the DM having to justify why a setting does not have firearms when they are quite clearly in the core rules.
I don't think they're going to put the firearms in a player book, as that would kind of be a useless reprint. If they put a feat focused on firearms, sure, that discussion is reignited, but the DM gets final say, and this feat doesn't do much to change the current situation regarding firearms.

Horwath

Legend
I cannot believe "Chef" is the most popular UA feat in this poll...

View attachment 123897

It is just yet another way (albeit "flavorful" ;) ) way of boosting healing in 5E...

It would be more interesting IMO if it did something other than boost healing and provide temp HP. Alternatives could have been removing an extra level of exhaustion after a long rest meal, or even allowing the removing of a level of exhaustion during a short rest maybe? Maybe allowing advantage on poison saves? There are all sorts of things that this feat could have done that would have made it interesting for me.

because it's a fun feat, with nice flavor to it.

then a question comes up; would you take it instead of +2 to your primary stat or instead of GWM or SS?

of course not! or only if you have 17 wisdom and you are a caster.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
because it's a fun feat, with nice flavor to it.

then a question comes up; would you take it instead of +2 to your primary stat or instead of GWM or SS?

of course not! or only if you have 17 wisdom and you are a caster.
No, I would never take it. If I wanted to bump WIS there are better feats for it and I could just do an ASI for WIS (and maybe another ability score if I only need the WIS +1).

Granted, the flavor is nice, but the features fall flat IMO. That is why I posted it could have been actually interesting (more healing??? :sleep: ) and useful.

But, by putting the firearms in a player-facing book it turns the conversation around, with the DM having to justify why a setting does not have firearms when they are quite clearly in the core rules.

Two points here though:
1) Both feats and firearms listed in the DMG are both considered "Rules Variants" and therefore the DM has final say on if they are allowed at their table. At best the should have to say, "Gunner and any firearm related feats are banned, but you may use other feats."

2) I would argue that the existence and prevalence of gunpowder and firearms is something that every DM should already be considering in their setting or their portrayal of another setting. It is a technology that would have widescale impact on the world and is frankly just as key a component to consider as religion or magic itself. Frankly the gunpowder is a bigger societal gamechanger as it's existance allows roads...actual paved and flat roads to be build MUCH easier without the use of magic, which has a huge impact on the economy and trade potential of nations. It's like a core component of the advancement of civilizations. I don't want to go so far as to say a DM who has zero opinion on firearms in their setting is "doing it wrong", but it's really one of those core things they should have an opinion on, and it begs to question as to why they would've selected a preexisting setting where firearms are cannonly considered common officially as the one to run in if they aren't comfortable with having gunplay at the table.

The Mercer Gunslinger class DOES include rules for guns Misfiring and jams.

I never claimed it didn't sir. Not sure what you are implying. 🤔

That said, my partner and I have actually been looking at various rule sets for firearms as of late and I must suggest to people this one:

It extrapolates on the dmg rules, it's simple and as long as one remembers the noise of firearms (potential con saves to avoid being deafened in closed spaces and making it obvious when someone fires a weapon - I suggest audible to 300ft like shatter), and it works well enough. It still irks history buffs like myself slightly, but less jarringly so than the default rules (or mercer's). I also suggest adding a smaller pistol (in the same vein as Mercer's palm pistol) that is light, does d8 damage and has a shorter range (something akin to 30/90 or 30/120). Call it the derringer and you're good for representing the smaller "concealed" sort of pistol one would use for point blank ambushes.

I don't begrudge Mercer's ruleset totally, just find it a little too fiddly for dnd 5e (again like most of his rules I find). The multiple scaling misfire and reload thing I just find less elegant a system, though your milage may vary. I do however like his system for "fixing" misfires, so I'll be extrapolating that with the above link.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
At this moment, there have been 87 voters.

The Top 3 Favorites are:
Chef (70.1%) 🥇
Crusher (60.9%) 🥈
Fey Touched (59.8%) 🥉

And the Bottom 3 are:
Tracker (44.8%) 🐾
Poisoner (37.9%) 🏴‍☠️
Gunner (27.6%) 🔫

Interestingly, most of the "Lemon Curry" 🍋🍲 voters also voted for other options. This suggests that the 14.9% of people who voted for it weren't trying to say "I don't like any of these feats," but were just feeling silly and having fun. Like I am, right now, with all these emojis.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases