2000-2009 Aging Badly?

Undrave

Legend
View attachment 115590

Retro gaming night. Girls broke out rock band/ guitar hero in 2019.

Wine and beer festival.

Remember when we all collectively decided to just stop playing with plastic instruments practically over night?

And presumably also the fact that they're rebooting all their shows and movies (except Rescue Rangers for some reason)

The Rescue Rangers are appearing in the next season of DuckTales!

Shows like jackass are probably dead. Once the shock value wears off they become stupid fast even if you went heh heh at first.

Plus you can find that sort of thing on Youtube now...

The show as a whole just didn't age very well, in my opinion.

But now that I think about it, my opinion might be biased. I saw a Jerry Seinfeld interview on Late Night back in 2015, where he was complaining about political correctness and how he wouldn't perform on college campuses anymore because "kids today are so easily offended" or somesuch.
There are a ton of comediennes who agree with him. "Safe spaces" and "comedy" don't really go together. The truly strange thing here is it is Jerry Seinfeld saying this. He works clean, for the most part and is the opposite of edgy/in-your-face and yet he still feels limited by what is allowed on many campuses today.

As for the show, the show is about unlikable people. That's the core of its humor. That can be off-putting. I doubt it's that it didn't age as much as getting older makes it harder to tolerate bad behavior and stupidity
. The same could be said for people who may have one liked Jackass and don't like it now. The material didn't change. Your tolerance for stupidity changed.

Zardnaar

Legend
Seinfeld was very different to most sitcoms I 1989. I think it got here 1990 or 91.

I never got it idk why. I was young, Friends exploded a few years later 95 here iirc.

Early 90s for comedy I liked Hogan's Heroes, Married with Children, Simpsons, Bottom. Hogan's Heroes was on Saturday mornings or afternoons 1991 iirc I was 12.

Not big on sitcoms or stand up generally.

There are a ton of comediennes who agree with him. "Safe spaces" and "comedy" don't really go together. The truly strange thing here is it is Jerry Seinfeld saying this. He works clean, for the most part and is the opposite of edgy/in-your-face and yet he still feels limited by what is allowed on many campuses today.

Yeah. That's today's socio-policial environment.

EDIT:
And that's why the world needs Jackass now more than ever

60s pre M*A*S*H it was on TV here around the same time as Seinfeld started. Reruns.
Then every popular show that ever existed is "on" if it is in reruns. That's not what is usually meant by contemporary with Seinfeld. Hogan's Heroes was show during the time of the Vietnam War. Seinfeld was not.

Remove ads