D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook reveal: "New Sorcerer"

I'm conflicted on Sorcerer Rage, as it's a class-defining mechanic that comes online at lv1, and is not useful to multiclass-dip for as it only affects Sorcerer spells, so it's already ahead of a lot of other early faetures... but it's just so baaasiiiiic. 'here you go, a number if 1 higher, how does that feel'

And you'd imagine a Wild Sorcerer pumping even more magic through their veins might cause them to wild magic surge more, but of course there's no interaction with the class's unique mechanic because it's just thrown in late.

lall

Explorer
Your liking Twinned isn't the same as Twinned being balanced or good for the game. It needed a nerf because it was the only real option for Meta Magic, everything else was a waste.
It was un-errata’d for 10 years. I only use Twinned on Wish for two Clones instead of one. I’d use Subtle on every spell if I could.

GarrettKP

Adventurer
I'm conflicted on Sorcerer Rage, as it's a class-defining mechanic that comes online at lv1, and is not useful to multiclass-dip for as it only affects Sorcerer spells, so it's already ahead of a lot of other early faetures... but it's just so baaasiiiiic. 'here you go, a number if 1 higher, how does that feel'

And you'd imagine a Wild Sorcerer pumping even more magic through their veins might cause them to wild magic surge more, but of course there's no interaction with the class's unique mechanic because it's just thrown in late.
I think people need to start wrapping their heads around features as a package instead of individually.

Yes, Innate Sorcery alone is a power buff but not exciting. But Innate Sorcery is not just a +1 and advantage. At level 7, it becomes +1, Advantage, and two Meta Magics a turn. At 20, it is all that plus a free meta magic every turn.

If all of that was written into the 1st feature like the 2014 books often did, people would be much more enamored by it. The same thing happens with features like Favored Enemy in the Ranger or Cunning Strike with the Rogue. People are judging the first instance of the feature when really it has 3 or 4 features throughout the progression, and when taken as an entire package it is much more appealing.

Remathilis

Legend

I mean, rage is +2 damage and 1/2 damage to P/B/S damage. Not exactly exciting but it allows for so many options to build onto (reckless attack, etc).

GarrettKP

Adventurer
It was un-errata’d for 10 years. I only use Twinned on Wish for two Clones instead of one. I’d use Subtle on every spell if I could.
Because errata is not for redesigning rules. It is for fixing minor mistakes.

Also, your example is exactly why Twinned is getting the nerf. Twinned Wish is an absurd notion that should have never worked. Mages already have the most power in the game, they don't need a feature that can double it.

Stalker0

Legend
I mean, rage is +2 damage and 1/2 damage to P/B/S damage. Not exactly exciting but it allows for so many options to build onto (reckless attack, etc).
Wait, what is not exciting about having DOUBLE the tanking ability of everyone around you?

+1 DC does not compare to the sheer tanking power of rage

Remove ads