D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook reveal: "New Sorcerer"

So JC said sorcerer is about casting flexibility that metamagic provide. But I don't think they said anything about the number of meta magic option you can have at once, nor the pacing you aquire more. If based on UA7 they got two at Lv.2, two more at Lv.10 and another two at Lv.17, I really would prefer they spread the rest 4 more evenly, like instead two at Lv.10 you get one at around Lv.6 then get another one at Lv.10, same logic for the Lv.17's two.
I also think, to make at really more creativity at the table, the number should increase. Otherwise it is once again only depending on your build. Only having two for half your career makes your options at the table too restricted.

Nadan

Explorer
Per the playtest, it's 1 SP for +1 target but only for spells that upcast to have more targets.

I.e. Hold Person.
But not haste (unless haste can be upcast now).
I have checked the old sorcerer spell list, here is the list of spell I can find that can use with UA7 twin metamagic
Lv.1 :Charm Person
Lv.2 :Enhance Ability, Hold Person, Mind Whip
Lv.3 :Fly, Intellect Fortress
Lv.4 :Banishment, Charm Monster
Lv.5 :Hold Monster
Lv.6 :Chain Lightning

That's it. If you ask me, unless WotC change a LOT spell, it is a bad metamagic that most option allow for it aren't impressive. Last time we saw Banishment it got nerfed so bad just not worth the concentration.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I have checked the old sorcerer spell list, here is the list of spell I can find that can use with UA7 twin metamagic
Lv.1 :Charm Person
Lv.2 :Enhance Ability, Hold Person, Mind Whip
Lv.3 :Fly, Intellect Fortress
Lv.4 :Banishment, Charm Monster
Lv.5 :Hold Monster
Lv.6 :Chain Lightning

That's it. If you ask me, unless WotC change a LOT spell, it is a bad metamagic that most option allow for it aren't impressive. Last time we saw Banishment it got nerfed so bad just not worth the concentration.
They said there would be more that scale by spell level. No mention on how many or which ones.

There are definitely spells on the warlock list that need to scale as well.

Horwath

Legend
They said there would be more that scale by spell level. No mention on how many or which ones.

There are definitely spells on the warlock list that need to scale as well.
still do not understand why i cant work on all spells. Just have a rule that no single target can be affected twice by the same spell.

Twin fireball, sure, but any overlap in AoE does not deal extra damage.

Staffan

Legend
still do not understand why i cant work on all spells. Just have a rule that no single target can be affected twice by the same spell.

Twin fireball, sure, but any overlap in AoE does not deal extra damage.
Main potential problem I see is that the system has been quite careful not to allow multiple castings of the top levels of spells. You don't get a second level 6+ spell slot until level 19, and at least in 2014 all the methods of getting more slots only work on level 5 or below: Arcane Recovery, Pact Magic, Font of Magic, or Natural Recovery. To me, this indicates that you're really not supposed to get a second forcecage or feeblemind in a day. Twin Spell is currently, AFAIK, the only way around this.

Remove ads