• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

Catulle

Hero
Somehow, I don't believe Mr. Brand (I don't wanna type that first name out, sorry) is interested in this sort of thing.
He is generally not, but gift horses and mouths... (also Neutral Evil, albeit comedically so - it keeps people from doing anything as long as one is amusing...)

Greed is Master Brand's sin, not malice. He's just... inexorable on that point (fortunately his associates recognise that fact and steer him accordingly)

You divided your forces. You had your forces attack the Sanctum Complex and the Diviner at the same time, when the Diviner was clearly described as on the road well away from his Sanctum Complex. You made your choices, and you gotta live with them.
Besides which there was never any justification provided for how the sorcerer would know the location of the sanctum.

I do hope I have been at least as clear as I've needed to be. I'm mostly a GM, and this sort of thing is 100% not my forte.
I think your declarations were as precise as needed to establish setting.

As much as I loathe it, it appears there may have been confusion when Hohige stated his action was to "dispel them all", which can be read in a few different ways and is not at all precise enough to establish starting positions.

The confusion has been compounded by later spells and attacks directed specifically at the wizard

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Before you get a chance to roll a save: The die is going to come up 2. That means, with your Trance of Order, that it's a 9. You have an INT of 10, so even if you're proficient, you can't make the DC 19 (right? operating from memory). That about wraps it up for the sorcerer.

prabe

Supporter
I think your declarations were as precise as needed to establish setting.

As much as I loathe it, it appears there may have been confusion when Hohige stated his action was to "dispel them all", which can be read in a few different ways and is not at all precise enough to establish starting positions.
There seems to be a preference for vagueness with some declarations, yes.

Prabe: the wish you formulate is outside the bound of the replication of a 8th level spell, since it's replicate the 9th level spell Gate. The simulacrum, by RAW, would incur post-wish stress, which might include necrotic damage if he casts a spell, much reduced STR score (to 3 for a few days) and a 33% chance for the simulacrum not to be able to recast wish.

prabe

Supporter
Prabe: the wish you formulate is outside the bound of the replication of a 8th level spell, since it's replicate the 9th level spell Gate. The simulacrum, by RAW, would incur post-wish stress, which might include necrotic damage if he casts a spell, much reduced STR score (to 3 for a few days) and a 33% chance for the simulacrum not to be able to recast wish.
That's acceptable. You can roll, if you wish (that Sim is roughly finished, anyway, of course).

I do hope I have been at least as clear as I've needed to be. I'm mostly a GM, and this sort of thing is 100% not my forte.
From my stand point you were more than clear about the location of your character and @Hohige was more than clear about what he was doing, he clearly and plainly said, the assassin was searching for traps at the sanctum and the sorcerer was attacking the Wizard, who was on the road. @Galandris repeated this back at least twice, with no objections from Hohige. He broke the cardinal rule of D&D and is paying for it.

prabe

Supporter
From my stand point you were more than clear about the location of your character and @Hohige was more than clear about what he was doing, he clearly and plainly said, the assassin was searching for traps at the sanctum and the sorcerer was attacking the Wizard, who was on the road. @Galandris repeated this back at least twice, with no objections from Hohige. He broke the cardinal rule of D&D and is paying for it.
So ... the cardinal rule of D&D is either "Don't mess with Wizards," or "Make sure you and the DM are on the same page." He's definitely breaking both of those, that I can tell.

Before you get a chance to roll a save: The die is going to come up 2. That means, with your Trance of Order, that it's a 9. You have an INT of 10, so even if you're proficient, you can't make the DC 19 (right? operating from memory). That about wraps it up for the sorcerer.

The latest bastion build retracted using the Resilient feat twice, so as of post 574, has +0 on INT saves. Not that you have any mean to know that.

Remove ads