• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

It's your turn. There is a Yuan-Ti wizard standing next to you. You used your action to strike at him and missed. There is another Yuan-Ti wizard approximately 100' in the air, hurtling toward the ground. You are 312' closer to your sim, measured along the surface of the earth, than when you started. There are two riderless Pegasi about 650' up in the air, and a riderless Nightmare some 1000' feet away from you.

What do you do?

Hohige

Explorer
It's clear that Galandris misunderstood positioning since you declared your contingency after he declared his action. It's theater of the mind so either accept the DM's ruling or abdicate.
I strongly disagree.
The contingency trigger is revealed 3 days ago. :cautious:

nogray

Adventurer
If that's your opinion, you need to recheck the logs. Note that when he posted his second self's action, he thought you were still mounted on the Nightmare, even to the point of mentally commanding you to hit your mount. Once it was clarified that you were no longer mounted, but were, in fact, alone on the ground, he acted accordingly.

What I am concerned with is the wording of the two distant dimension doors -- I'd thought it was the same word, so they should trigger simultaneously. That means the destinations should have been chosen before the Dispelling. I don't know if I misread or misunderstood the situation, though. Maybe @Galandris or @fearsomepirate would be willing to clarify that for me?

Hohige

Explorer
It's your turn. There is a Yuan-Ti wizard standing next to you. You used your action to strike at him and missed. There is another Yuan-Ti wizard approximately 400' in the air, hurtling toward the ground. You are 312' closer to your sim, measured along the surface of the earth, than when you started.

What do you do?
Wrong.
You won't change his actions.
Sorry.
It's 240ft of me.

The Simulacrum casts Distant Empowered Freezing Sphere on Pegasus and the Yuant ti

The Sorcerer casts Distant Dimention Door.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I strongly disagree.
The contingency trigger is revealed 3 days ago. :cautious:
You "remembered" it, after the wizard's actions had been declared. The stream of the battle has been edited to reflect that: Your contingency went off before his turn, so he was allowed to revise his turn to reflect that the situation was different than he'd originally understood.

It's as clear as water.

Hohige

Explorer
If that's your opinion, you need to recheck the logs. Note that when he posted his second self's action, he thought you were still mounted on the Nightmare, even to the point of mentally commanding you to hit your mount. Once it was clarified that you were no longer mounted, but were, in fact, alone on the ground, he acted accordingly.

What I am concerned with is the wording of the two distant dimension doors -- I'd thought it was the same word, so they should trigger simultaneously. That means the destinations should have been chosen before the Dispelling. I don't know if I misread or misunderstood the situation, though. Maybe @Galandris or @fearsomepirate would be willing to clarify that for me?
The Yuant A usis his Contingency to Distant Dimention door at 240ft at Nightmate and dispel Nightmare.
The Nightmare become hostile, triggering The Bastion Contingency:
He teleports to ground, closer to his Simulacrum.
Yuan ti B, uses his contingency to Distant Dimention door and casts Distant Crown of Madness at 240ft at air.

Clear as water.

Hohige

Explorer
You "remembered" it, after the wizard's actions had been declared. The stream of the battle has been edited to reflect that: Your contingency went off before his turn, so he was allowed to revise his turn to reflect that the situation was different than he'd originally understood.

It's as clear as water.
Hahahahha, I posted on the build 3 days before ahahaha, don't cry my friend.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
The Yuant A usis his Contingency to Distant Dimention door at 240ft and dispel Nightmare.
The Nightmare become hostile, triggering The Bastion Contingency:
He teleports to ground, closer to his Simulacrum.
Yuan ti B, uses his contingency to Distant Dimention door and casts Distant Crown of Madness at 240ft at air.

Clear as water.
Except that he can reach you on the ground, so--after the changed situation has been clarified--that is what he chose to do.

It's up to you to keep track of when your contingency triggers. If you forget, maybe it doesn't trigger. You "forgot" then "remembered" and you were allowed to deploy it. The wizard's situation had changed, so he was allowed to change his declared actions.

As you say, clear as water.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads