D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

If the DM doesn't cap it at 20d6 as per RAW (average 70 damage) or if the Demigod is ever compelled to actually calculate in the HP loss from Magen making then the matter becomes fairly trivial to statistically kill him (or at least his simulacrum).
It has been established that at best he has 26 hit points, 2 HP + 24 for Inspire Leadership. On a really good day, he might have 61 HP, 2 + 35 expending an 8th level slot for Aid + 24 for Inspire Leadership.

You still need to have the DM agrees that a drow political leader, coming for a society where intrigue and betrayal is the normal mode of doing politics, would AGREE (as the spell needs a consenting target) to let you cast a high-powered, unknown magic which you claim will make a servant, loyal to you, of HER likeness and knowledge. If your goal was to replace her with your servant and rule as a shadow advisor, you would do that exactly and abuse the guillible lady. It is totally out of characters for Drow Matron Mother to be gullible. It is a total use of "DM, pwease" to set up theses circumstances and to allow your convincing skill to let a DMM take a suicidal position.

The Drow Matron mother need not consent (though once again, simulacruming a lady without her permission is definitely all sorts of creepy). Since it is a touch spell, presumably he could even cast it through some sort of Wished for familiar. I wouldn't put it past him managing to pull it off once, before hightailing it out of whatever Drow citadel she lives in.

The real issue is that it is not a one and done deal. The Matron Mother simulacrum will "be instantly destroyed" as soon as he casts Simulacrum through Wish again, which, since he has his own simulacrum burning through magic all the time, will be every couple days.

The actual Matron Mother has to be the Sorcerer's live in house guest or at least somewhere he can get to every few days to touch her again.

@Hohige - I think your issue here is that you are trying to win so hard!

Enjoy the fact that you have come up with a really interesting and powerful build with a lot of very strong combos! But don't shift the goalposts when people work out a way to beat you. I've been following a lot, and that list of spells is certainly different from what it was several days ago.

Think of it this way - are you setting up the challenge, or not? Are you cleaver enough to overcome a challenge someone puts to you? I'm sure you think yes, and I suspect you are right... given a challenge you could come up with a cool solution to overcome it. BUT, I think you have let that cleverness slip into this game. In this game your Job is NOT to over come any challenge sent to you - you have to set the challenge that others have to overcome.

You've done that and it is good, but do you think that as well as coming up with an answer to anything reasonable someone challenges you with, you are able to come up with a challenge NOBODY else can beat? That would be hubris and pride. Don't run down that path.

You set a real tough challenge that was fun and interesting, and took a bunch of time to work out how to overcome. That sweet - that was your challenge, and it was cool. When people have missed the specifics it was okay pointing out how things didn't work. But when people have pointed out a way of overcoming, changing the challenge to "win" isn't correct. This isn't the game... that is you being a player and a challenge setter simultaneously. Be happy people have played the game and have fun because they have fun! You should go "sweet, that's a great solution. any other ways someone can overcome it?". Maybe you could go - okay that would work, I have lost. If we change the sorcerer in this way can we still overcome it?"

And the thing to note, loosing here isn't failure. The game is fun... but I'm pretty sure most players would agree any idea they had to "win" the game were not with unkilliable characters - we have not tried to make a character who is unkilliable (infact they were very killiable), just a character who could defeat your challenge.

TLDR:
  • You are cleaver enough to overcome a challenge when people put one to you
  • Be wise enough to let other people overcome your challenge when you have put one to them :)

As I mentioned before I think its a great build, and really strong - well done!
Blessings,
James

It has been established that at best he has 26 hit points, 2 HP + 24 for Inspire Leadership. On a really good day, he might have 61 HP, 2 + 35 expending an 8th level slot for Aid + 24 for Inspire Leadership.

In that case: Any Level 20 Character with Simulacrum (or Wish), True Polymorph, and Invisibility.

1. Create Simulacrum. Have them ready.
2. Wait for Sorcerer and Entourage to fly by.
3. Simulacrum casts invisibility on self. You True Polymorph Simulacrum into CR 20 Ancient Brass Dragon.
4. Invisible Ancient Brass Dragon catches more or less entire group in:

Sleep Breath. The dragon exhales sleep gas in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 10 minutes. This effect ends for a creature if the creature takes damage or someone uses an action to wake it.

It would be more fun if the magens didn't have hover. But even with advantage saving against magical effects they will mostly fail and sleep through the fight.

With +9s on con saves, purported Demigods and simulacra thereof have a 55% chance of failing and falling 660 feet.

Naturally there can be another Invisible Ancient Brass Dragon along in a couple days to try again.

Hohige

Explorer
A new Demigod. 3 Powerful versions.

The Bastion of Law Demigod

1610643316157.png

Stats
Race: Mark of Shadow Elf (+1 CHA +2 DEX)
Classes: Clockwork Sorcerer 20
Stats (Point Buy): 8 STR / 10 DEX / 12 CON / 13 INT / 14 WIS / 15 CHA
ASIs: Skill Expert (Stealth +1Wis), Resilient (+1 Wis), Resilient (+1 int), +2 Int, Metamagic Adept
Final Stats: 8 STR / 12 DEX / 12 CON / 16 INT / 16 WIS / 16 CHA
Metamagic: Quicken, Distant, Subtle Extended, Empower, Twin

Saving Throw: +7 CON, +9 INT + 9 WIS + 9 CHA.

Trance of Order​

Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to align your consciousness to the endless calculations of Mechanus. As a bonus action, you can enter this state for 1 minute. For the duration, attack rolls against you can't benefit from advantage, and whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can treat a roll of 9 or lower on the d20 as a 10.

Once you use this bonus action, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.

He automatically wins every mental saving throw.

Stealth check: Pass without trace +13 stealth check +1d4 (Mark of Shadow)
With Trance of Order, It means 33~43+1d4 of Stealth check.

Final HP: 102+40 Tough feat +35 = 177 HP(Extended 8th Aid Spell ) +25 th Armor of Agathys +5d8 Bastion of Law. The Clockwork heal instantly 100 hp with his class feature.

Stealth Check:1d20. +10 Stealth (Pass without trace) +12 Expertise + 1 Dex +1d4 Mark of Shadow. With Magical Guidance to rerol.
With subtle spell, It's the most powerful stealth casting of the entire game. When you cast a subtle spell, It doesn't reveal you.
Extended Seeming avoid detection.

Wished Contingency condition: If the enemy detect me. (Casts Greater Invisibility).

Spell Known:

Spells
1 - Armor of Agathys, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor
2 - Aid Spell, Earth Bind, Pass without trace
3 - Counterspell, Dispel, non detection, Eruption Earth
4 - Dimention Door, Banishment
5 - Seeming Spell, Wall of Force, Skill Empowerment
6 - Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate, True Seeimg
7 - Etherealness, Reverse Gravity, Teleport, Plane Shift
8 - Demiplane
9 - Wish

Active spells: Twinned Simulacrum, Twinned Mind Blank, Extended Ethrealness (I'm invisible stalker), Subtle Pass without trace, extended aid, subtle armor of agathys.

edit: wrong spell slot, 5th level Skill Empowerment and Wall of Force for Clockwork list

Last edited:

The actual Matron Mother has to be the Sorcerer's live in house guest or at least somewhere he can get to every few days to touch her again.
So I guess we know where the 6 murder hobos hired by that unknown wizard hired in post #154, are doing. While the sorcer is out looking for Alfred and Binky, they are infiltrating the sorcerers fortress, rescuing the Drow Matron Mother and looking for that ridiculously powerful magic item the unknown wizard told them was in there.

Spells
1 - Armor of Agathys, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor
2 - Aid Spell, Earth Bind, Pass without trace
3 - Counterspell, Dispel, Glyph of Warding, non detection, Eruption Earth
4 - Dimention Door,
5 - Seeming Spell, Wall of Force

This list can't be right. The Clockwork magic spells (two for each level 1 through 5) can only be traded for abjuration and transmutation spells of the same level, so any spell list for a Clockwork sorcerer without at least two abjuration or transmutation spells each for levels one through five is wrong.

Hohige

Explorer
This list can't be right. The Clockwork magic spells (two for each level 1 through 5) can only be traded for abjuration and transmutation spells of the same level, so any spell list for a Clockwork sorcerer without at least two abjuration or transmutation spells each for levels one through five is wrong.
This is normal spell know and extra spells together.

Remove ads