• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.0] Wall of Iron stupidity

Stalker0

Legend
Otterscrubber said:

Well spooky old wizards have a hard time finding help in the middle of nowhere, they have to build their towers somehow :)

And that poor wizard has to constantly rebuild his tower, for every week or so it keeps getting dispelled:(

drnuncheon

Explorer
Stalker0 said:

And that poor wizard has to constantly rebuild his tower, for every week or so it keeps getting dispelled:(

Wall of Iron's duration: Instantaneous
Wall of Stone's duration: Instantaneous

J

ZR

First Post
For the info of yall,

1" for every 4 levels ....at say level 13 that would be 3" or 1/4 of a foot

at 5 foot cube/level the volume is :

5x5x.25x14=87.6 cubic feet
1m3=27 cubic feet
14th level wall is 3.24 m3
Iron has a density of 7.88
That makes the wall 1000x7.88x3.24 =25566kg

In pounds thats 56250 pounds!!

14060 long swords

Have a skill level of say 15 in weponsmith and an Int bonus of +5.

cast wall iron then fabricate

three rounds later rolld20 (result is say 12)
Total=32

Puff 14060 masterwork longswords
by DMG: 14060x300 + 14060x(normal cost that I dont have at hand but lets say 4gp) = 4,274,240gp

Whilst all the economists may point out that you would be better creating a mix of products I think the fact is clear that the mix is crazy.

LokiDR

First Post
ZR said:

For the info of yall,

1" for every 4 levels ....at say level 13 that would be 3" or 1/4 of a foot

at 5 foot cube/level the volume is :

5x5x.25x14=87.6 cubic feet
1m3=27 cubic feet
14th level wall is 3.24 m3
Iron has a density of 7.88
That makes the wall 1000x7.88x3.24 =25566kg

In pounds thats 56250 pounds!!

14060 long swords

Have a skill level of say 15 in weponsmith and an Int bonus of +5.

cast wall iron then fabricate

three rounds later rolld20 (result is say 12)
Total=32

SRD on Fabricate.
If the character works with a mineral, the target is reduced to 1 cubic foot per level instead of 10 cubic feet.
So that would be 7 fabricates.

Iron, also, is not the same a steel. The amount of iron needed to make steal is greater (by a fair margin) so you won't have that much steel.

Finally,
material of one sort into a product that is of the same material.
so the DM should say you can make one sword per casting of the spell.

Incidently, you would be better off making masterwork daggers, less metal.

der_kluge

Adventurer
You know, I don't know why any self-respecting mage would even cast wall of iron. Iron rusts. They'd be better off casting wall of aluminum, or wall of titanium. Aluminum is the most common of all metals, and doesn't rust, and titanium is way stronger and lighter than iron, and also doesn't rust.

And, both have atomic weights less than iron (Fe -26) versus Aluminum (13) or Titanium (22).

So if you've got a spell that creates trillions of atoms out of thin air, it seems like it'd be easier if their atomic weights were less.

But wall of iron is a 5th level spell. Surely, something as powerful as an 7th or 8th level spell could create large chunks of atomic weights such as 78 or 79 (platinum and gold respectively). Think of the damage that could be done to an economy if you had wizard's throwing around walls of gold, and walls of platinum.

Devestating.

Xeriar

First Post
die_kluge said:
You know, I don't know why any self-respecting mage would even cast wall of iron. Iron rusts. They'd be better off casting wall of aluminum, or wall of titanium. Aluminum is the most common of all metals, and doesn't rust, and titanium is way stronger and lighter than iron, and also doesn't rust.

Titanium is stronger per unit of weight.

Titanium is not stronger than iron by volume!

It can't hold the edge that steel can, to put simply.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: [3.0] Wall of Iron stupidity

hong said:

Yep. So if you're really WANGER but not quite that WANGER, you can't WANGER it over, but you can WANGER a hole in it. Which makes perfect WANGER to me. A catapult WANGER isn't going to WANGER a castle WANGER topple WANGER, but it can make a WANGER collapse.

I need more practice at this.

--Rogue Spikey

Last edited:

Remove ads