• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 half celestial template

Eman Resu

First Post
Know its a little corny but Im trying to re-create the leader of the Hawkmen from the movie Flash Gordon, Prince Vultan. I havent been on these boards for a couple of yrs, I see a few changes? Anyways I'de like to create a spiked chain fighter/barbarian with wings. Yes I'm aware Prince Vultan used a club not a spiked chain. It is a gestalt campaign, dunno if thats a bad word on this site buit if you could advise nontheless. Im looking for feats, classes prestige classes for a non spell orientated gestalt / half Celestial and I'm kinda painted in a corner. I cant find prestige classes for a fighter/barbarian type

any help much appreciated thanks gang

Eman

First of all, what books do you have access to? Complete Warrior has several good PrCs for warrior-types. Tome of Battle makes martial types much more viable because you don't have to rely on your full attack to deal damage. Spellcasters get to move and cast a spell that is likely far better than a single attack, so ToB evens the playing field a bit.

As for gestalt, it's not taboo, but bringing it up does raise a few questions. Are you using fractional BAB and saves? What kind of power level do you expect the campaign to cater to the best? How powerful do you want the character to be? Is LA buyoff allowed?

Apologies if this gets posted more than once. The forum is acting up and is having problems taking a reply.

First of all, what books do you have access to? Complete Warrior has several good PrCs for warrior-types. Tome of Battle makes martial types much more viable because you don't have to rely on your full attack to deal damage. Spellcasters get to move and cast a spell that is likely far better than a single attack, so ToB evens the playing field a bit.

As for gestalt, it's not taboo, but bringing it up does raise a few questions. Are you using fractional BAB and saves? What kind of power level do you expect the campaign to cater to the best? How powerful do you want the character to be? Is LA buyoff allowed?

Apologies if this gets posted more than once. The forum is acting up and is having problems taking a reply.

Greenfield

Adventurer
For a winged race, look up Avariel. It's an Elven subrace, I think it's from Eberon. I might be wrong.

It's a +1 ECL if I recall correctly, so it's easier on the career path than Half Celestial. You don't get the neat spell-like abilities, but then you don't pay +4 ECL either.

Eman Resu

First Post
no ToB
I think all other books available, that is I cant think of any banned?
on wotc official site not the wiki! example the Swiftblade is excepted
Ive looked at the other potential races with wings, they just arent the same, Prince Vultan doesnt have a beak!

feats I have:
combat expertise, jotunbrud, imp trip, magic in the blood,...and whats the name of the feat that gives x2 dam not x1.5 w/ 2 handed?

gestalt and multiclassing we have always made no matter what classes you couple together you cannot bypass the "good" max save; example at 10th level no base save above +7. As far as fractionalized bab, well geez I dunno? if your at 1st level gestalt and your a fighter/wizard you would have a +1 bab...ide rather have same with a 3/4...ohh thats probably what fractioned well there ya go I just answered the question, I guess the power gamers want max bab along with tier 1 casters. ..and this is partially why I wanted to specialize in combat maneuvers eg tripping sundering grappling non of them do. And with a spiked chain and jotunbrood Im somewhere around a 27 trip mod? WOW!

any help suggestions to beef up my gestal non spellcasting class (I do have the half celestial spells all 3x day w/ magic in the blood)
Eman

Hoping to clarify the fractionals a bit in case you're confused:

Fighters of course have 1/1 BAB. Clerics and rogues, etc, have 3/4, and wizards etc have 1/2. Going this route helps a bit if multiclassing is common in the game.

And then there's gestalt. Depending on one's interpretation, going fighter 1/wizard 19//sorc 20 would give a total of +20 BAB. The reasoning behind that is that since both sorc and wizard get 1 BAB every other level, staggering them would mean they got 1 BAB every level, thus 20 BAB. Going fractional fixes that problem because both sorc and wiz are 1/2, so the end result of the aforementioned character would be 10 and 1/2 BAB at 20th (since the fighter grants an extra 1/2 above sorc or wiz).

Saves could theoretically be exploited in a similar way, although I'm not sure of the exact setup right now. Still, saves are either 2 + 1/2xlevel or 1/3xlevel. Preventing them from going above a single-classed Good progression for base saves I suppose might be a way to prevent "abusive" save-stacking tricks so that they aren't trivializing saves, but it's not something I've heard of being used often.

Edit: Actually, that fighter/wiz//sorc one would work for saves too. The character would start with Will +2 on the sorc side and +0 on the fighter. Then at 2nd level the sorc side would get a +1 (ignoring the wizard's +2 start for the purposes of this demonstration). At 3rd level, the wizard side gets a +1 while the sorc side gets a +0, and so they alternate until the character has a base will save of 21 I think at 20th level. Going the fractional route would make both sides simply +1/2 after the +2 starting save for the class.

Shame they didn't put much into the gestalt rules to make sure that BAB or save tricks like avoid could be totally avoided, but considering it's a variant I suppose they really didn't playtest it much or go through their wording to make it absolutely clear what they wanted to convey, if of course they knew what they wanted to convey anyway.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads