• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Spells (New & Changes)

Destil

Explorer
Re: [3.5] More Spells

Originally posted by Tharizdun --at last a good 2nd level damaging spell!!
Scorching Ray: lvl sor/wiz 2 --ranged touch att --close range
1 ray + 1 ray per 3 levels, max of 3 rays -- 4d6 damage fire per ray
Have the damage caps in the DMG changed at all? That's 2 dice over the old 10 die cap for single target 2nd level spells...

Also, has Flame Arrow been changed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jalkain
Yes, any player caught using a utility spell will be taken out and shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno...that sounds like houserule territory to me...

It's a "roleplaying" restriction, like the 3.0 Red Wizard :D

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Will Alter Self change anything with the Ability Scores?

Ah, btw: Change Self now is known as Disguise Self.

Jalkain said:

Yes, you're right, Andy really hates shape-shifters. And he made sure that all the people working on 3.5e hate them too. And he wants all wizards to learn nothing but Fireball spells. After they run out of those, they have to charge into melee with their dagger. Andy told me so.

Yes, all the Mystic Theurge's spells are useless. WotC hate wizards, and arcane casting prestige classes, and all the people who play them. Anyone who plays such a character deserves to be made miserable. They will shortly be issuing a press statement to this effect.

Yes, any player caught using a utility spell will be taken out and shot.

You know, I had to double-check the Poster here, for I thought this was posted by Hong :D

Destil

Explorer
Fenes 2 said:

I kinda like this - one less rogue skill that can be replaced with a single 2nd-level spell (Like Alter Self with regards to Climb, Jump, Disguise and Swim).
It's my opinion that if blindsight/sense was done properly, so you could hide from it just fine using skill (though it beats some forms of concealment, which now required to hide) but it trumped the invisibility spell things would be fine. Being invisible is not the end all and be all of stealth by any means, and it's much smarter to use it on a rogue rather than the wizard himself, who can still hide from see invisibility, true sight et cetera, isn't given away by sound as easily and isn't pinpointed easily by something with a very high spot bonus.

Of course the designers decided to go the other way. Invisibility is now just a lower level displacement with some added perks (can't pinpoint) and drawbacks (can't directly attack) for thoes who summon monsters, create illusions, heal et cetera in combat.

Hide is now useless against blindsight/sense :(. I don't know if that's worse or if the decision to include Greater Spell Focus and thus drop down Spell Focus was... one of these is getting my 'worst use of supplemental material in the revison' award.

Destil

Explorer
Tharizdun said:

Yup
Overland Flight: S/W 5 -- Range:personal -- 1 hour/level at 40/30 feet average manouverability

Evards Black tentacles: duration from 1 hour/lvl now down to 1 round/lvl
Overland flight is pathetic. That is NOT a spell that's the same level as teleport [unless teleport is just the caster too]. What's the rest of the party supposted to do? Now if it affected one creature/level it would be great. This is really my biggest problem with most of these duration changes: spell caster's can't really do nearly as much for the rest of the party any more... :mad:

Evards is the first good spell duration change I've seen [the animal buffs were well intentioned but serious overkill], since it now grapples as soon as it's cast. It's not the 1 hour / level field of death to annoy people anymore, it's a good old fasion battle spell. It's been a very long time favroite of mine, so I'm glad to see at least one of these duration changes was good. Now...

A) Does it still not graple small creatures? I always wanted to do an all halfling / gnome party and load up the casters with Evards...
B) Are AoO mentioned in the description?

Tharizdun

First Post
Hardhead said:

Which other thread? And how was it changed?

Another thread in this forum where someone wanted to know if ICE STORM had changed... the info was exactly the same, you are not missing out on any information, these are not the droids you are looking for.

Tharizdun

First Post
rangerjohn said:
What about sylphs, sprites and other fey? Are they not considered humanoid?

sylphs are not described in the MM

a sprite is a fey, a troll is a giant -and although they both might look humanoid, (according to the MM) they are not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads