• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Spells (New & Changes)

pppo

First Post
Overland Flight

Overland Flight
Well I do not all the details about this spell and may be I missed something but the duration is very long (1h/lvl). A Wiz or Sor can fly nearly all day long with this spell. This makes it easy for him to stay out of melee. I would not call that useless.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Teleport won't help you if you're looking for something. Sure, overland flight is nothing a sorcerer will likely choose, but it has its uses.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Re: Overland Flight

pppo said:
Overland Flight
Well I do not all the details about this spell and may be I missed something but the duration is very long (1h/lvl). A Wiz or Sor can fly nearly all day long with this spell. This makes it easy for him to stay out of melee. I would not call that useless.

Definately not useless! Gives you a nice perk to your speed, too - Not as potent as 90 feet per round, but at that speed it was admittedly a little over powered. What I'm wondering is this - Can I cast this spell, fly a few hundred feet in to the air, drop an Endure Elements: Cold, and take a nap?

Ooh, now THERE's a use for Preconscious Power...

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Can someone with the new books please tell me if they have clarified what Silent Image (and their more powerful counterparts) can and cannot do? One of many questions I would like answered is whether you can create multiple objects/creatures/etc. The spell is rather vague on what you can and cannot do.

mmu1

First Post
Destil said:

Evards is the first good spell duration change I've seen [the animal buffs were well intentioned but serious overkill], since it now grapples as soon as it's cast. It's not the 1 hour / level field of death to annoy people anymore, it's a good old fasion battle spell. It's been a very long time favroite of mine, so I'm glad to see at least one of these duration changes was good. Now...

I disagree... I've seen more high-level parties royally screwed by a 1st level Entangle or 2nd level Web than 4th level Evard's Black Tentacles. The tentacles were easily killed, didn't do much damage, and the extremely long duration was pretty much the only thing it had going for it when judged by 4th level standards. (if you actually applied the rules for how many of the Large tentacles could grapple a creature at a time...)

The change is just another example of the "Back to the dungeon." a.k.a. "Let's only make things useful in combat." school of thought.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Overland Flight

Anabstercorian said:

Definately not useless! Gives you a nice perk to your speed, too - Not as potent as 90 feet per round, but at that speed it was admittedly a little over powered. What I'm wondering is this - Can I cast this spell, fly a few hundred feet in to the air, drop an Endure Elements: Cold, and take a nap?

Since your maneuverability is average, you have to move at least half of your base speed to stay in the air. I'd say that taking move actions precludes sleeping and vice versa.

J

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
To any holders of the PHB - what does the new 2nd level arcane spell "touch of idiocy" do?

Okay, I can't resist a straight line like that (damn poor Will saves!).

Take your pick:

• Ensures that the target will buy another revision in 2 years
  • Guarantees that the target will like the idea of randomly packaged miniatures
  • Makes certain that the target will purchase repackaged splat books
  • Causes the target to buy multiple tickets to Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie 2, in advance
  • Causes the target to spend time bemoaning revisions to a game they don't have to buy
  • Makes the target post dumb jokes on the Internet
  • Causes the affected creature to become the preferred target of creatures of type "Hong"
  • Ensures that creatures of the type "kreynolds" will post strange feats mocking the target

Last edited:

Metalsmith

First Post
coyote6 said:

Take your pick:

• Ensures that the target will buy another revision in 2 years
  • Guarantees that the target will like the idea of randomly packaged miniatures
  • Makes certain that the target will purchase repackaged splat books
  • Causes the target to buy multiple tickets to Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie 2, in advance
  • Causes the target to spend time bemoaning revisions to a game they don't have to buy
  • Makes the target post dumb jokes on the Internet
  • Causes the affected creature to become the preferred target of creatures of type "Hong"
  • Ensures that creatures of the type "kreynolds" will post strange feats mocking the target

[Claps Hands and Shouts with Joy!]

I couldn't agree more.

Jalkain

First Post
Can someone with the books please confirm that Power Word Stun and Power Word Blind have swapped levels (i.e. Stun has gone from 7th to 8th, and Blind the other way). It's just that Power Word Stun is something of a signature spell for a PC, and it looks like he won't be able to cast it any more!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads