• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] TWF + rogue = overpowered?

S

shurai

In a nutshell, some folks think that the new version of Two-Weapon Fighting, when taken by rogues, will be overpowered. What do you all think? Will too many rogues take the new version of the feat?

It certainly has the ring of realism. In real life, the kind of non-military anything-goes fighting that rogues prefer certainly has precedent. Most small-weapon fighting systems or styles have use of the off-hand and feet integrated into them, and that could easily be construed as use of TWF with an unarmed attack and Improved Trip or the like.

Likewise, fighting with two weapons, matched or not, is a known roguish tendency that's well-supported by lots of swashbuckling & adventurous literature, such as various characters fighting rapier-dagger or rapier-main-gauche. In addition, it seems to be supported by historical evidence as well.

What about game balance? It's true that rogues will gain a pretty significant new ability, but I don't think it's necessarily the case that every time some class gets a new benefit that it will be 'broken.' For instance, most of the time the advantages are overestimated, and the drawbacks are seldom evaluated. In this case, it's true that although rogues will gain an extra attack, the loss of attack bonus is a bigger deal for them because they generally hit less often than a fighting class.

The real advantage, as many have said, is the extra sneak attack. But, this will only occur during the following subset of situations the rogue is likely to encounter: 1) the rogue is getting a full attack, and 2) the rogue is getting a sneak attack. So mostly this new change will effect rounds in which the rogue begins in a flanking position and doesn't move.

But, most rogues only have a good chance of hitting with Weapon Finesse, which is impossible before 3rd level. So taking the -2 to hit and getting the extra attack will end up sacrificing quite a bit, given the rogue's already-low attack bonus. However, after 3rd level, with both TWF and Finesse, the rogue is dealing a lot more damage at low levels. Later on, I expect that fighters will catch up and pass the rogue in number of attacks and hit probability. It's important to remember that a human rogue could very easily have precisely the same setup by 3rd level in 3.0, for one extra feat, yet not that many people complain about the overpowered dual-shortswording human rogue.

So anyway, I think that although we'll definitely see lots more rogues fighting with two weapons in Edition 3.5, I think this is probably okay, though I'm still mulling over the subtleties. Truly I think the real problem will be with nonhuman rogues, like those who get dex bonuses. Halflings, for instance, will now be much nastier around fourth and fifth level while flanking and full-attacking than they once were. Still, the rogue still has disadvantages, and outside this special situation the rogue will be the same as always.

What do you all think? Is any of my analysis off the mark? Anything I've missed? Do I over-use question marks?

-S

-S

Destil

Explorer
3eR two-weapon types will have one extra feat to use vs. the 3E equivelent for early levels. Later on they can still take improved two weapon, as well as the new two-weapon feat.

Since I don't have any idea what the new two-weapon feat does I don't think I can really say, though. I've never had a problem with rogues or anyone else using two-weapon style in 3e, though.

Murrdox

First Post
I don't see why anyone would have a particular problem with ROGUES and two weapon fighting...

Certainly more Rogues will try it, since they don't get as many feats as a Fighter, and don't get it for free as a Ranger... a Rogue has a lot of other things in 3.0 that he can do with two feats rather than go for TWF and Amb. Now that he only needs ONE to get it, certainly he will.

In fact, I bet you'll see a lot more classes IN GENERAL taking TWF. Barbarians will finally be able to use Double Axes with greater effeciency... think, that in 3.0, that's THREE FEATS for a Barbarian... Exotic, Amb, and TWF. If you're talking about a half-orc, then the Barb will be level 6 before he can finally use his weapon effectively as it was meant to be used. Now, he can do the same thing at level 3.

No one EVER took Amb or Two Weapon Fighting individually, which is why I think they were just combined. ONE feat to fight with two weapons. The way two weapons fighting was done in 3.0, it required 2 feats to be effective. Simply taking TWF or Amb individually was nearly worthless.

Witch Doctor

First Post
Murrdox said:
No one EVER took Amb or Two Weapon Fighting individually, which is why I think they were just combined.

I wouldn't say that, my first character (elven rogue, 3e) took Ambidexterity without TWF because he thought he might have his hand cut off one day and didn't want to be hindered too much by it.

S

shurai

I think Murdox's point, Witch Doctor, is that in default D&D there's virtually no chance of ever actually needing the benefit that Ambidexterity provides. After all, it is nearly impossible for a character to lose their hand in play without house rules. In addition, there's also no reason to ever attack with the off-hand unless you're attacking with two weapons.

Granted, in a good game people will ad-lib combat actions that don't have rules equivalents, so it might come up.

Player: I grab his sword-hand so he can't draw!

DM: Okay, roll [this] and [that].

(He does, and makes it)

Player: w00t!

Opponent: Ah hah! I'm ambidextrous! I draw with the other hand!

Player: suxx0r!

And so forth.

-S

RigaMortus2

First Post
So instead of taking 1 level of Ranger, the Rogue can just burn a feat. This is actually much better, as you can stay a "pure breed" Rogue and stay on the same Sneak Attack progession. Where as, if you took 1 level in Ranger (in 3.0 anyway), you'd be behind 1 level for Sneak Attack. Plus you'd also have to worry about multi-class penalities (unless you were Human, Half-Elf, or Halfling).

Duke Frinn

First Post
How about fighters?

I thinks it will be very beneficial for Dwarf fighters... They get to use the dwarven urgosh at -2 -2 for only 1 feat instead of 3!

RigaMortus2

First Post
Witch Doctor said:

I wouldn't say that, my first character (elven rogue, 3e) took Ambidexterity without TWF because he thought he might have his hand cut off one day and didn't want to be hindered too much by it.

Wow, talk about paranoid. You mean to tell me, out of ALL the "bad" things that can happen to a person in the world (of DnD), your character was most afraid of losing his hand? And so, in the extremely unlikely event this were to occur, he made a concious effort to specifically train with both hands so they would work with the same skill/strength as each other?

Sejs

First Post
Sword and Whip fighting styles are a good use for Ambidexterity without Two Weapon Fighting. The whip is primarily there for area-control (tripping people who charge you while they're still 15ft out, or disarming opponents that have reach), but you do not want to attack with it when closed with someone in melee. For low-profile types, sling and dagger also works well.

Sejs

First Post
Wow, talk about paranoid. You mean to tell me, out of ALL the "bad" things that can happen to a person in the world (of DnD), your character was most afraid of losing his hand? And so, in the extremely unlikely event this were to occur, he made a concious effort to specifically train with both hands so they would work with the same skill/strength as each other?

Paranoid nothing, that's good planning. He did say the character was a rogue. A common punishment for being caught stealing in more midevil cultures was the removal of one hand (sometimes just the thumb). Particularly if they didn't have a prison system, or just didn't want to have to deal with the offender for whatever reason. Get caught, hauled before the magistrate with proof that you did the deed, *lop!*, get bandaged up, get a stern reprimand to not do that ever again, get sent on your way.

Remove ads