• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5e D&D Greyhawk] The Sunless Citadel [OOC]

WarShrike

First Post
Mmmmm.... Whisper Gnomes. :)

Oh, and Scout from PHB 2 looks like a good alternative combo to use with Ranger, can`t disarm traps, but good at finding them, and the Skirmish ability is sweet.

Errandir

First Post
Hmm... I did a quick search for different ways to get trapfinding, and apparently there's a ranger variant from Dungeonscape that gets trapfinding instead of track. But as that's not on the list of books the DM gave, probably not helpful.

As for Beguiler and Duskblade, they look like interesting classes (I've run across the Duskblade before) but I'm not sure how they fit in with what we've been setting up so far. I suppose if Mithrandir would rather not take the level of rogue, I could play a beguiler instead. What are the class skills and skill points per level? Would it make an effective rogue substitute, or would the ranger/rogue idea be better?

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Hmm... I did a quick search for different ways to get trapfinding, and apparently there's a ranger variant from Dungeonscape that gets trapfinding instead of track. But as that's not on the list of books the DM game, probably not helpful.
I don't have Dungeonscape, so not too helpful. ;)
Personally I like the Scout idea better, but not my choice.

grufflehead

First Post
Given the plethora of sourcebooks on offer, and some of the variants proposed on page 58 of UA - basically take a class feature from 1 and swap it with something equivalent from another - can we have a houseruled, GM approved Ranger variant then that fits our needs? Sounds like that is what is in Dungeonscape, it's just none of us have it to check ;)

EDIT: OK, having just checked again, the Scout does get Trapfinding (should have read WS post better!), it just doesn't get Disable Device (don't quite see the point of that...) so in fact the proposed Ranger above is in the same boat as far as 'find' but not 'remove' goes.

WarShrike

First Post
There`s always the spellthief. It`s a curious class, from what i read. A thief that has the ability to steal memorized spells from enemy casters and throw them right back, or use the energy to cast a spell of the same level that the Spellthief has prepared without losing it. I find it fascinating. As a pure class it takes a while to get spells, so for a low level campaign, multi-classing is best if you want to cast your own spells, but i find that the ability to steal as many spelis per day as opportuinity provides is better than just the 1/day limit a generic wizard gets.

I will build up a sheet with that in mind and see how it looks.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Given the plethora of sourcebooks on offer, and some of the variants proposed on page 58 of UA - basically take a class feature from 1 and swap it with something equivalent from another - can we have a houseruled,
EDIT: OK, having just checked again, the Scout does get Trapfinding (should have read WS post better!), it just doesn't get Disable Device (don't quite see the point of that...) so in fact the proposed Ranger above is in the same boat as far as 'find' but not 'remove' goes.
Hmmm, away from the books at the moment and I haven't actually opened UA yet. I am not a fan of just customizing classes freely, but I will think about and read the section later.

grufflehead

First Post
Hmmm, progress appears to have stalled. I appreciate the effort from others to be flexible on concepts and I don't want it to seem like I'm dictating - on the other hand, saying we're all happy to do what other people think isn't moving us forward and in the last 3 days we've not actually got any further to even sorting out party composition, let alone why we are adventuring together.

Although I'd obviously like to play, if people feel I'm the stumbling block I can happily step out and you can recruit someone else. I have other games (potentially 3 more starting within the next couple of weeks) so give the chance to someone else looking for a game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads