• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.X Gamers?

Roughly what percentage of gamers that you know still play 3.X/PF type games?

• 100%

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • 90%

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 70%

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 30%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Herzog

Adventurer
I answered 100%.
I play a lot, and most of the people I play with play in two or more groups.
Although there are several who play 4.0, GURPS, and ADnD, almost all of them play 3.5 as well.

I know of three who are currently not playing 3.5, and if I ran the numbers that would probably put my percentage somewhere between 90 and 100, but I had to choose something...

Thanks. What areas did you houserule?

• Wizards and sorcerors use 1d6 for hitpoints
  • At 1st-level, all character receive (3x their starting hit die) + Con HP
  • Medium BAB is the lowest heroic progression
  • Additional bonus feats for each character at all even levels
  • Saving Throws and AC used the best of two modifiers (Fort: Str / Con; Ref: Dex / Int; Will: Wis / Cha; AC: Dex / Int)
  • Two abilities increased by +1 every 4 levels instead of 1
  • Action points (5 + Level / 2 round down) per level
  • Healing surges
  • Charge as a standard action
  • Additional bonus cantrips for every main caster
  • Skill challenges were used

I'd've also gone to the Saga / 4E skill progression and ditched skill points, but that seemed a little much to get my players on-board with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted 90%.

Currently, our group (variable size, with a hard core of 8), uses 3.5 almost exclusively. We generally do not HR anything.

Personally, I've been trying to incorporate elements from other 3.X games into my campaign W.I.P., but I don't know if I'll ever run it. Its a conservative group- in the past decade, the only non-D&D that has been run was a 6 month RIFTS campaign and my M&M Supers game set in a Space:1889-esque 1914 that was even shorter.

We currently have two 3.5 games on hiatus while our newest member is running 4Ed, giving the 2 other DMs a rest. Only a fraction of the group is actively participating.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Most of the gamers I know play D&D in one form or fashion. About half are playing 4e and the rest are playing 3.5 or PF. So I voted 50%. Everyone once in a while I stumble upon a group playing some other game, but my FLGS is packed full of D&D ads.

...of course you'd think that would make finding a game easier, but it isn't. Everyone has really tight schedules and a very particular vision for the game. It's kind of disheartening.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hm. Roughly 40%, I guess. :hmm: And that 40% would be overwhelmingly Pathfinder, or a house-ruled variant thereof.

None of the rest is 4e - not even the gamers that the gamers I know, know. :lol: The vast majority of the remainder is in fact totally non-D&D.

But the thing is, it's a variable ratio. This is only a snapshot. At times, the entire "extended family" :D has been mostly D&D (and/or D&D-ish), for example.

Note: I mightn't have seen this poll for some time, if at all, if it hadn't been visible from the main forum page, as it was just now. Would it be a better idea to run it in the general RPG forum, and make it so that voters' usernames show up? That would be my choice, anyway.

Remove ads