3.X Gamers?

Roughly what percentage of gamers that you know still play 3.X/PF type games?

• 100%

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • 90%

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 70%

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 30%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Roughly what percentage of gamers that you know still play 3.X type games (PF-inclusive)?

(Feel free to detail which version it is, please.)

*And from a post of mine below to clarify my interest in creating this poll -

This isn't about 4E or not 4E, really. It's about the percentage that play some 3.X variant (whether they play 4E or not, whether they play GURPS or not, whether they play Amber Diceless or not, etc.). It's fine if you count them as 3.Xers and they also play some other game. I'm also curious of what type of 3.X they play, perhaps they stuck with 3.0 or 3.5 or have taken up PF or play both 3.5 and PF on different nights or at different gamedays or conventions, etc. Perhaps they tried PF and returned to 3.0 because they could gather a group under such conditions. All of that would be interesting to me. 4E (or any non-3.X game), specifically, really doesn't enter the picture in the frame of this poll or thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm fairly exclusive to my group. We never tried 4e; I'm aware there are players out there but I've never met any personally, nor am I old enough to know anyone still playing pre-3.X D&D.

I run a heavily houseruled 3.5 game with PF, TB, and UA rules.

Greg K

Legend
I framed my answer in terms of people that I know play D&D in one form or another (even if they are, currently, playing a non-fantasy game at the moment) and chose 90%. However, since we were supposed to answer roughly, 100% would have been closer since I only know three people that are playing 4e.

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
My group never transitioned away from 3.5. 4ed did not appeal to us.

Edit:

We have played a bit of D20 Modern (Wizards of the Coast), and when I DM, I pull my ideas from whatever modules have a good storyline. I've used 1st Ed, 2nd Ed, 3ed and 3pp modules for inspiration/guidance. Recently I took a break from DMing and one of the other players filled in. He converted the 4ed module Keep on the Shadowfell to 3.5.

I have been looking at Pathfinder, but I'm not certain if I want to invest money in another system.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
This isn't about 4E or not 4E, really. It's about the percentage that play some 3.X variant (whether they play 4E or not, whether they play GURPS or not, whether they play Amber Diceless or not, etc.). It's fine if you count them as 3.Xers and they also play some other game. I'm also curious of what type of 3.X they play, perhaps they stuck with 3.0 or 3.5 or have taken up PF or play both 3.5 and PF on different nights or at different gamedays or conventions, etc. Perhaps they tried PF and returned to 3.0 because they could gather a group under such conditions. All of that would be interesting to me. 4E (or any non-3.X game), specifically, really doesn't enter the picture in the frame of this poll or thread. Thanks.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Well, I am currently involved in three different D&D groups in my circles of friends. One has remained loyal to 3.5, one has moved from 3.5 to Pathfinder, and the third started out with 4e (though I managed to convince them to try out Pathfinder, which worked out so-so for me)

I just feel sad for the third group, since I REALLY prefer 3.5 and Pathfinder to 4e. It just doesn't appeal to me, probably because I started out with 3.5 and that group was even more anti-homebrew than the second one... =_=

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I run a heavily houseruled 3.5 game with PF, TB, and UA rules.

Thanks. (Must spread XP around before giving it to Ahnehnois again :( )

I framed my answer in terms of people that I know play D&D in one form or another (even if they are, currently, playing a non-fantasy game at the moment) and chose 90%.

What forms would those be? (and thanks)

My group never transitioned away from 3.5.

Thanks.

One has remained loyal to 3.5, one has moved from 3.5 to Pathfinder

Thanks.

Last edited:

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
My group of 12 D&Ders at college and 5 D&Ders at home all play 3.X and its variants exclusively, specifically 3e and SWSE at the moment but I ran some Iron Heroes and Arcana Evolved one-shots. That's not to say we don't play other RPGs, but rather when we play D&D they only go for 3.X. I've personally played every edition of D&D, at least sampled every 3.X variant I know of, and have dabbled in GURPS and Riddle of Steel, but only regularly play D&D 1e-3e.

Turjan

Explorer
I don't personally know many people who play D&D, which means that my vote is for a very small sample size. I only know 3.5 players.

Remove ads