D&D 5E 3d6 in Order

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Sometime just after the New Year, I rolled up this set of stats with 3d6 in order:

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 6
Int 17
Wis 7
Cha 14

With the high Str and Int, I thought Eldritch Knight, so I wanted to get Str up above Int. Mountain Dwarf also helps with the low Con, so after racial bonuses I have:

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 8
Int 17
Wis 7
Cha 14

Starting with only 9 hit points at first level, and expecting to continue to be behind on HP due to low Con, I chose the Defense fighting style, which along with chainmail and shield gives my Mountain Dwarf an AC of 19.

I chose the Hermt background. My concept, influenced somewhat by Elric of Melnibone, is that this dwarf's sickly nature has driven him into the wilderness to seek out rare herbs with which he can bolster his health. In keeping with this story, I've chosen Athletics and Survival for his class skills. He fights with longsword and shield. He'll drop the shield when he gets his archetype at third level and maybe move up to greatsword.

I started this thread because I find this to be a fun way to generate a character that I wouldn't necessarily thought of if I didn't have to work around some low stats. I also like using 3d6 because I like the idea of populating my world with characters that potentially have the same average baseline as any other typical humanoid.

I plan on posting a new character here about once a week and encourage others to do the same. All I ask is that posted characters are generated with 3d6 in order under the honor system. I'd like to see the variety of 5e characters we can create this way.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I remember doing something similar when the PHB first came out, only I also random rolled race and class as well. I had to explain why my rogue had a 5 Dex, so I figured maybe he fell out a window during a job and broke his leg badly and it never healed right.

I'll bite...

Str 10, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 7, Cha 10

Rather amazingly average results, though definitely pointing to Wizard. This has the feel of a High Elf sage, with a tendency to pry into things better left un-pried. Random roll comes up Astronomer, so now I see him as someone who's searched the heavens for signs of the celestial alignment that will free the Old Ones. Rolled randomly for his background bits and his spells, too. I'd expect to go into School of Divination or possibly Conjuration with him.

Finrael (High Elf Astronomer Sage Wizard)
Lawful Neutral
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 7, Cha 10
AC: 12; hp 6 (1d6)
Skills: Arcana, History, Investigation, Religion
Height: 5' 2", Weight: 98lbs
Personality: Never uses a short word when a long one will do, and is happy to tell you why and what it means.
Ideal: Logic. Never let emotion cloud your thoughts.
Bond: Searching for the answer to the question: What will happen when the stars align.
Flaw: Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the price of a civilization.
Spells (Save DC 12, +4 Attack)
Cantrips: Chill Touch, Mending, Ray of Frost
1st Level(2 slots, prep 3)
Spellbook: Chromatic Orb, Longstrider, Witch Bolt, Ray of Sickness, Burning Hands, Identify

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This was our standard way of doing it back in 1st edition. It led to some very memorable characters.

Yeah, I hear that. In AD&D 2ed we did in order, but we did three sets and pick which one you wanted. I remember a bard with either a 17 ro 18 Con (non-fighters didn't get extra HPs past 16 Con) who ended up being able to drink people under the table. Or the high Dex, high Int, high Chr paladin that I played as an urban swashbuckler of law.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This was our standard way of doing it back in 1st edition. It led to some very memorable characters.

It really does. Not to take away from, or criticize array, but with that method, most every PC looks the same, from a stat context. When you increase the randomness with things like rolled stats, it opens the door for increased role-playing and background like what Kahless mentioned above. IMO, PCs are much more colorful and flavorful, and don't all feel the same. And therefore by extension, tend to be more memorable.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Average Joe
1st-level Human Bard (Folk Hero)

Rolled Stats
averagejoestats.jpg

Adjusted Stats
Str 11, Dex 11, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12

Sole survivor of the Great Cackle Fever Outbreak of 847 with an inspiring story to tell.

Remathilis

Legend
I had a player complain about using point buy in the last few games I DM'ed. He showed us this video (caution: language might be a little NSFW, and VERY long and rambling) to prove his point.

[video=youtube;pBmEFgd_4ho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmEFgd_4ho[/video]

Of course, he was opting for the "standard" method we've used (4d6, drop lowest, arrange) but after showing the video, I told him my next game would be 3d6, in order. I also mentioned I'd considered rolled hp (including first) and rolled starting cash.

Not the answer he was looking for. :devil:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Blinndursprokken, Rock Gnome Illusionist

Rolled Stats:
S: 12
D: 11
C: 13
I: 14
W: 6
Ch: 13

Racially Modified Stats:
S: 12 (+1)
D: 11 (0)
C: 14 (+2)
I: 16 (+3)
W: 6 (-2)
CH: 13 (+1)

Background: Entertainer (Juggler)

"Blinn" always enjoyed pranks and juggling, and spent his youth entertaining (and annoying) others with his special talents. Blinn's biggest drawback is a lack of common sense, and he often does not realize that his pranks are leading to dangerous situations for him and others.

Remove ads