• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Annoyances for those who like 4e

I get annoyed at magic items that still feel to mandatory...

I dislike many utlity powers

but my biggest thing is that 'power gamers' (optmizers min maxer's...whatever) try to limit choices based on what is 'good'.... haven fobid I take linguastics, or sure strike...or scorching burst....but I MUST take expertise, and paragon def, and weapon prof, and X and Y...

kaomera

Explorer
1. In-play record-keeping, especially conditional modifiers / effects, is a nightmare.

2. Classes / builds are too specific, I'd really like more flexibility.

hailstop

First Post
Hmm...

Death mechanic: negative bloodied or three failed saves in one encounter...not lethal enough...less danger leads to feelings of grind.

4e is a rather innovative so I expected some hangups and ideas that didn't quite work as intended (e.g. skill challenges). I think 5e is going to be amazing if they focus on ironing out the bugs in the system.

Yeah, I agree with this. Earlier editions were too deadly at low levels...and ironically at high levels (ie save or die). However, it's tough to actually kill a PC now...especially if they're a well honed unit with a good Cleric. :)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
More than anything, I hate the masterworking for armors. Why does cloth armor magically become "feyweave" when it hits +4 enchantment? What's wrong with regular cloth becoming magical? Couldn't they have made it so you could make an armor out of feyweave as an option at any level and give it some interesting material power or bonus?

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I don't like V-shaped classes.

I feel like the skill system is still too much like 3e's. Given what they want to do with Skill Challenges and the like, I think the skill system needs to be rethought from the ground up.

The grind. I only rarely experience it--the circumstances have to be exactly right--but tonight, through no real fault of the DM's, I experienced the most perfect example of "the grind" that I've ever seen since the day I started playing 4E. :(

I've almost never used any major house rules in 4E, but I'm suggesting that he consider the "25% fewer HP/25% greater damage" option for solos and elites, just to see how it plays.

Also, I sometimes wish there were more non-combat-focused utility powers, and a lot more cheap rituals.

Last edited:

I second the flavor text. It's amazing that it's the same company that makes magic.

Also I really don't like the base setting and the cosmology. I don't like the words feywild or shadowfell, and I don't like the elemental chaos being all mixed together. It made for some cool hybrid elementals, though, so I guess it'll do. Still, I don't like how the base setting bleeds so much into the mechanics.

Also I used to really hate the Angel's aesthetic but the MM2 made them look pretty sweet.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Extended rests, though we house ruled those.

Power blinds. I think there is a tendancy to look at powers and think those are the only options you have.

Jack99

Adventurer
I've almost never used any major house rules in 4E, but I'm suggesting that he consider the "25% fewer HP/25% greater damage" option for solos and elites, just to see how it plays.

It's -25% hit points / +33% damage, if you want things to balance out mathwise. Although I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads