[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

covaithe

Explorer
Just FYI, I am planning on continuing this game. I had hoped to have it up and moving by now, but the time just hasn't fallen into place for me this week. It could be any day now, though.

Thanks again for your continued patience.

renau1g

First Post
No problem Cov, intercontinental move and all, it's definitely more than understandable. I'll be here, Kalas the (hopefully) punching bag.

covaithe

Explorer
Well, there's an update. I handwaved furiously on the flavor text, because it took me a full three hours to do this update before I even started the fluff. So... much... going... on!

I'm definitely going to need to experiment to see if I can't reduce the amount of time these combat updates take. Three hours a round isn't sustainable; I just can't find that kind of time in one block on a regular basis.

By contrast, an encounter for a level 2 or 3 party usually takes me about half an hour for a combat update. Maybe an hour for a big fight. (which this is, to be fair. But small fights just don't cut it against you guys; you're too tough.)

One thing that I'll almost certainly want to try is going back to normal initiative rules, so that the updates are split up into several per round, and aren't quite so monolithic. Any other ideas?

Oni

First Post
Yeah, I didn't realize how complicated high level 4e was before we started this game, there is a lot to keep track of.

renau1g

First Post
One nice thing about PbP is the slower pace helps with all the little stuff, like the +1 here and -2 to hit there. At least I find it easier, but from the DM side it's gotta be difficult.

In L4W, I'm getting nervous to run Paragon games (which we seem to be getting closer to), but also a bit excited. Epic is crazy though.

I think splitting up the initiatives is a good idea. If there's 6 of us (assuming we all survive) not sure if its easier to do 2 groups of 3 or 3 groups of 2. The latter will be more updates, but of smaller size, the former less updates, but a bit larger. Depends on the # of enemies I guess. If there's a lot of them, breaking them up more is probably better for you also.

Remove ads