D&D (2024) 4e (DnD: Tactics) remake wish list.

Haplo781

Legend
Classes can take any power in their power source.
If you want to completely erase the meaning and purpose of roles, sure I guess.
If 4e was remade, possibly as a VTT project, in addition to 1DnD.

What would you want to see kept and changed?
Math fixes. Feats and powers pared down (trap options eliminated entirely and taxes given for free). Original classes redesigned along the lines of the good essentials classes (gaining additional features at higher levels while still adhering to AEDU structure). Essentials classes without AEDU reworked to use AEDU. Essentials classes without hybrid options given hybrid options.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
you want to completely erase the meaning and purpose of roles, sure I guess.
So... have 4 classes then?
What about the different ability scores?
That's the thing most people forgot.

You get 80% of your role from your class for defenders, leaders, and strikers. Only controllers are based on powers.

If your rogue took all fighter powers, they'd still be a bad defender since your mark and toughness comes from the class.

Haplo781

Legend

You get 80% of your role from your class for defenders, leaders, and strikers. Only controllers are based on powers.

If your rogue took all fighter powers, they'd still be a bad defender since your mark and toughness comes from the class.
So why bother?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So why bother?
Reduce power bloat.

A lot of 4e's valid criticism stem from it forcing every class to have their own set of powers and a different set of powers for each build.

If classes within the same source shared powers, a lot of the redundant, fiddly, and bad powers could be cut. This would have allowed for more emphasis on race and class features, more interesting builds, easier onboarding, and faster appearances of new classes and races.

Haplo781

Legend
Reduce power bloat.

A lot of 4e's valid criticism stem from it forcing every class to have their own set of powers and a different set of powers for each build.

If classes within the same source shared powers, a lot of the redundant, fiddly, and bad powers could be cut. This would have allowed for more emphasis on race and class features, more interesting builds, easier onboarding, and faster appearances of new classes and races.
Ugh, no. This is best done by cutting bad powers not diluting class identity. There is zero reason for a rogue or warlord to ever take the fighter's Come and Get It, and giving the fighter access to something like Startling Offensive would be a balance nightmare.

Frankly this reads like a suggestion from someone who fundamentally doesn't understand the game.

mellored

Legend

No. 80% of your power was feats and equipment.

For instance. I made a wizard who only uses basic attacks with a 2 hander.

That said, I'm perfectly fine if they reduce the effect of magic items. Needing to upgrade your sword 6 time is a bit ridiculous. Get rid of most +'s from feats is good too.

Really, deflate all the numbers.

mellored

Legend
Reduce power bloat.

There is definitely overlap and some things could be consolidated. But I don't think it should be wide open.

Having a martial "hit and run" power would be fine for sharing.

But "stay hidden on a miss" should be rogue only power.

Remove ads