D&D (2024) 4e (DnD: Tactics) remake wish list.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Bonded accuracy, fewer feats with tiny fiddly little bonuses.

Clean up all the feat taxes remaining after the above.

Change MC to allow power swapping if you have any MC feat, and introduce follow up MC feats that give you more of the second classes shtick.

You can use a given power more than once.

Each class has options built in to forgo encounter or daily powers in exchange for something simple and “always on”, or a simplistic power they can just use over and over.

Reduce monster HP and general HP and damage bloat.

Make implements more like weapons, with each having damage dice and other properties, so that using a wand is different from using a tome. Also put tome as an implement from the start.

Allow power scaling in place of higher level power swapping.
<---This.

Just do this.

I myself would just remove Feats, instead going with:

Lvl 1: 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, 1 daily
lvl 2: Utility
lvl 3: Encounter
lvl 4: Skill power or Ancestry Power
lvl 5: Daily
lvl 6: Utility
lvl 7: Daily
etc

You gain a number of Encounter and Daily uses equal to your Encounter or Daily powers ''known'', so you can use the same one if you want.

Reduce the number of classes, but allow each class to cover more than one role by selecting appropriate powers clearly identified by Role (ie: a Cleric could have a power list composed of cleric/avenger powers ).

Fighter (Fighter + Warlord powers + Knight/Slayer stances )
Rogue (more Controller power ala Knock Out or Blinding Barrage)
Wizard (Increase the damage of damage only powers, support powers from Artificer)
Cleric (Invoker + Cleric + Rune priest)
Bard (as-is, already a controller-leader)
Barbarian (Barb+ Berserker's stance + Warden + Thrown Seeker)
Ranger (Scout + Ranger + Hunter + Bow Seeker)
Paladin ( Paladin + Cavalier + Blackguard + Avenger)
Druid (Druid + Shaman + Protector + that other one from Essentials)
Warlock (Warlock + Hexblade + Binder)
Monk (Monk + Battlemind)
Psion (Psion + Ardent)
Assassin (Executioner at-wills + Shrouds + Assassin powers)
Swordmage (Swordmage + Bladesinger)

Give the weapon users ''stance'' at-wills ala Essentials to modify their Basic attacks to differentiate from the at-will powers of Implement users.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
On one hand, I like that you had to use different powers. Spamming the same thing gets boring.

On the other, having some simple options is good too.

Otherwise I agree.
Yeah I do think that spamming is already pretty common, so if you get annoyed by others at the table doing that, I can see why you'd be reluctant to make that change.
<---This.

Just do this.

I myself would just remove Feats, instead going with:

Lvl 1: 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, 1 daily
lvl 2: Utility
lvl 3: Encounter
lvl 4: Skill power or Ancestry Power
lvl 5: Daily
lvl 6: Utility
lvl 7: Daily
etc

You gain a number of Encounter and Daily uses equal to your Encounter or Daily powers ''known'', so you can use the same one if you want.

Reduce the number of classes, but allow each class to cover more than one role by selecting appropriate powers clearly identified by Role (ie: a Cleric could have a power list composed of cleric/avenger powers ).

Fighter (Fighter + Warlord powers + Knight/Slayer stances )
Rogue (more Controller power ala Knock Out or Blinding Barrage)
Wizard (Increase the damage of damage only powers, support powers from Artificer)
Cleric (Invoker + Cleric + Rune priest)
Bard (as-is, already a controller-leader)
Barbarian (Barb+ Berserker's stance + Warden + Thrown Seeker)
Ranger (Scout + Ranger + Hunter + Bow Seeker)
Paladin ( Paladin + Cavalier + Blackguard + Avenger)
Druid (Druid + Shaman + Protector + that other one from Essentials)
Warlock (Warlock + Hexblade + Binder)
Monk (Monk + Battlemind)
Psion (Psion + Ardent)
Assassin (Executioner at-wills + Shrouds + Assassin powers)
Swordmage (Swordmage + Bladesinger)

Give the weapon users ''stance'' at-wills ala Essentials to modify their Basic attacks to differentiate from the at-will powers of Implement users.
You'll never see me agreeing with shrinking the class numbers, but I do agree with letting some classes choose between two roles, and folding a lot of the essentials and PHB stuff into single classes rather than having 3 rangers, 2 rogues, etc.

I could do a whole thread about how to improve the 4e assassin and make it incredible to play. fix the issues with getting shrouds on a target quickly, and it's a great mechanic. Combine that with better math on the powers, and executioner at-wills, and fold the poisons into the assassin daily power list, and I'm happy.

MwaO

Adventurer
I would definitely want bounded accuracy in 4e.

That would eliminate the need for having boss, regular, and minion versions of the same monster.
Bounded Accuracy doesn't exist. It is just 4e/2 math made deliberately obscure. You get +9 to hit instead of +18, +6 to important skills instead of +12.

Having monsters transform from boss to regular to minion as the PCs gain levels just means that a 7th level monster is easy to use at 11th/19th. Instead of being weird depending on its abilities, meaning each monster had to specifically looked at and making CR kind of useless.

mellored

Legend
Bounded Accuracy doesn't exist. It is just 4e/2 math made deliberately obscure. You get +9 to hit instead of +18, +6 to important skills instead of +12.
4e math was roughly +1 per level. With combination of proficiency bonus, equipment bonus, and stat boosts.

That means any creature a few levels below/above you can't hit/miss you.
Having monsters transform from boss to regular to minion as the PCs gain levels just means that a 7th level monster is easy to use at 11th/19th. Instead of being weird depending on its abilities, meaning each monster had to specifically looked at and making CR kind of useless.
If the scaling is reduced to say... +1 every 3 levels. Then a 7th level monster can still hit a level 19 PC, just not as often.

I said role not power.

Defenders got their main marks from their class.
Strikers got their damage bonus from classes.
Leaders got their main heal from class.

Letting the fighter take a ranged weapon attack and a tactical move or letting warlocks, sorcerers, and wizards all have fireball wouldn't change their roles.

It would be the best of 5e and 4e combined.
The Barbarian didn't have a damage bonus, and for the ranger Hunter's Mark was almost inconsequential compared to the power of Twin Strike and other multi-attacks. Meanwhile the Paladin might have got their "main mark" from their class - but their main mark was very weak and they got their defender-ability from their ability to spam more minor marks half way across the battle line. As for the "main heal" that depends whether you are playing a laser cleric or a warlord.

Letting a melee cleric have paladin powers would make it a pretty decent defender and letting a warden take barbarian powers would be ludicrous.

So what would I want to see fixed? Let's start with multi-attacks. And the ability to turn on or off the half-level scaling in the character builder.

Remove ads