• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Is the Terminology the Problem?

hong

WotC's bitch
mxyzplk said:
That's a *perfect* example of encouraging metagaming and turning D&D into a combat minis game. "I know how many points should be in the opposing warband, woot."
Eh. It's no different to "the DM would never throw an EL 10 encounter at us, we're only 6th level!"

nick012000

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Yeah I like how it can keep them on their toes as well, sorta like the AICM review:
"It also lets you have a little fun by replacing several of the minions with a regular fighter type of the same monster. Why are there only 13 zombies this time? Because one of them is a level 3 nasty. Guess which one it is before it eats your cleric."

The real fighter is the one that doesn't disintegrate when your cleric runs into the middle of them and uses Turn Undead. ;)

Hussar

Legend
mxyzplk said:
That's a *perfect* example of encouraging metagaming and turning D&D into a combat minis game. "I know how many points should be in the opposing warband, woot."

I'm getting tired of saying this, but...

Ummm, what?

Before 3e, I knew pretty much to the hp how bad that troll was. You didn't add class levels, you didn't have templates, if it looked like a troll, it had X hp's and did about 25 points of damage/round MAX.

In 3e, we have CR. I'm fairly sure that the DM isn't going to be an asshat and whack on 12 levels of barbarian onto that troll when we're 5th level. If we see two trolls, yup, we can likely take them. Why do we know that? Because trolls are CR 5 creatures and we should be able to handle that. Sure, they might be elite, or have a template or something, but, let's face it, you know that those trolls are just trolls 9 times out of 10.

So, how is this different?

Olgar Shiverstone said:
I think it's a bit of an adaptation problem. Most of the language we'll get used to, but there are some ones that rub me the wrong way. "Exploits" for fighter powers, for example, since exploit has a horribly negative connotation elsewhere in gaming.

That's setting aside silly fluff like "Dragon's Tail Cut".

Exploit (verb):
1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor.
3. To advertise; promote.

One out of three definitions is negative. I'm going to guess that they're referring to the first one.

-TRRW

eleran

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Exploit (verb):
1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor.
3. To advertise; promote.

One out of three definitions is negative. I'm going to guess that they're referring to the first one.

-TRRW

Or for the literate out there they might actually be going by this;

Main Entry:

Pronunciation:
\ˈek-ˌsplȯit, ik-ˈ\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English espleit, expleit, exploit furtherance, outcome, from Anglo-French, from Latin explicitum, neuter of explicitus, past participle
Date:
circa 1538

: deed, act; especially : a notable or heroic act

Olgar Shiverstone said:
I think it's a bit of an adaptation problem. Most of the language we'll get used to, but there are some ones that rub me the wrong way. "Exploits" for fighter powers, for example, since exploit has a horribly negative connotation elsewhere in gaming.
You're thinking of "exploit" the verb (pronounced with emphasis on the last syllable). 4E uses "exploit" the noun (pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable).

See above post for definition. It's entirely appropriate for how it's used in 4E.

SaffroN

First Post
mxyzplk said:
4e encounters can be made up of creatures quite higher and much lower than that of 3e so you don't know how many 'points should be in the opposing warband'. Not only can an encounter consist of creatures vastly differing in level, But the encounters may range from trivial to impossible. Not to mention the encounter could contain traps. With these variables it would be hard to guess how challenging the encounter should be or the level of the creatures you are facing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads