4ed PDFs - Are you still getting the books?

Are you getting the books, with or without the PDFs?

• No - Now that I've got the PDFs I won't bother.

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • No - But I never was going to buy the hard-copies.

Votes: 25 5.7%
  • Yes - The PDFs do not effect my decision to buy the book(s).

Votes: 275 62.6%
  • Yes - the PDFs changed my mind, or clarified my desire, to buy the book(s).

Votes: 36 8.2%
  • I did not, and will not, download the PDFs and am getting the book(s).

Votes: 95 21.6%

Mercurius

Legend
Let's try this again (ignore previous poll). If you did or did not download, or peek at, the PDF torrents, are you still getting the books?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I recently got a bit of a raise due to a promotion and I am doing my best to support my FLGS, so I'm getting them there and not at Amazon. I choose not to download the PDFs because my job is in law enforcement (though internet crimes are not really my specific jursdiction) and it would be very inappropriate/unethical for me to download illegal copies.

Mercurius

Legend
Part of what I'm trying to ascertain here is, first, if anyone will pick the first option--which is that downloading the PDFs negatively impacted their choice to buy the books--and, secondly, how that relates to the 4th option, which is that the PDFs positively impacted one's decision to buy the books. If 4 is greater than 1, then the PDFs are no big loss for Wizards, even perhaps helpful (based on this limited demographic, at least!).

keterys

First Post
Curiously, I'd expect that the pdf leak won't really hurt sales of the _books_, but will potentially hurt sales of pdfs of the books (directly) and D&D Insider's rules database (somewhat)

I'd be amazed if people who downloaded the pdfs _then_ went and bought the pdfs.

I could not resist downloading the leaked .pdfs, however I have two sets of books coming and I wouldn't think of cancelling those preorders.

If anything, the .pdfs convinced me of the worth of 4th edition and I am seriously considering now to purchase the H1, H2 and H3 adventures, and the Martial Power Book

Edit: I don't usually buy pdf files of large books, because the larger the file, the less economically feasible it is to print it... And I am still on the fence for the D&DI

Last edited:

Argyuile

First Post
I hate PDF's I can't even imagine trying to play the game with only PDF's. Im sure I will probably end up with multiple copy's of the PHB also before this is all over since I have for every edition since 1st.

malraux

First Post
keterys said:
Curiously, I'd expect that the pdf leak won't really hurt sales of the _books_, but will potentially hurt sales of pdfs of the books (directly) and D&D Insider's rules database (somewhat)
I can see it hurting the sales of the pdfs under the old (3e) scheme where the pdfs cost as much as the books. I'm not sure if WotC were to implement the cup of coffee cost for the pdfs after buying the hard copy that people wouldn't be reasonably likely to do that.

As for the rules database, I'd think that these aren't likely to affect it much, but if many of the future books also end up leaking then that'll hurt it.

pogminky

First Post
Getting books. Not getting pdfs.

I wonder what will happen ina few years time when e-books can be read with comfort and convinience of paper books???

sckeener

First Post
For all those that do download the pdfs, scan in a copy of your receipt when you purchase the books and attach it to the pdfs.

Instant legal watermarked pdfs.

Having a receipt is the only way to prove that you own anything.

I always want both a hardcopy and a pdf copy of the books.

(do a search for a thread I started on Enworld about legally scanning pdfs...the short version is) During my divorce I went through a period where I didn't have much shelf space, so I move most of my gaming books to storage....after scanning them in. I work for lawyers and asked my IP attorneys what I would need to do to stay legal....it all came down to having a receipt....which didn't help me with my older stuff, but it did help me in controlling my future purchases. I solved my older books / no receipt by buying at half-price book stores.

I've got space now, so I'm not scanning in my older stuff (w/no receipts)...but I do love my pdfs, so I'm continuing to scan my newer purchases.

Rechan

Adventurer
pogminky said:
I wonder what will happen ina few years time when e-books can be read with comfort and convinience of paper books???
Until they make a computer that is comfortable to read on the toilet, I do not see this day happening.

Remove ads