Gaiden

Explorer
1 rogue
1 ranger
2 fighter

stats

str18
chr18

feats cosmopolitan: iaijutsu focus, exotic weapon: crescent knife, combat reflexes, expert tactician, quick draw

skills

iajutsu focus - 11
bluff - 11

Must catch opponent by surprise:

surprise round: 4 attacks at +7 that each deal 1d3+4+4d6 (3d6 from iaijutsu focus assuming average roll) points of dmg (crescent knife allows two attacks in place of every single normal attack). Avg dmg = 78 (must draw each crescent knife meaning would attack with one hand and then use other hand for second attack with expert tactician at no penalty because of ambidex from ranger).

Assuming you win initiative you would then get six attacks all at +5 to hit. Assuming all hit avg dmg = 117 dmg (you would have to draw each crescent knife and drop it after each attack so you could draw a fresh weapon). The opponent is flatfooted for all of these attacks meaning he does not get dex bonus. (I am ignoring criticals right now).

Dmg total is 195 - pretty darn close for a 4th level! If you include criticals avg total dmg is above 200 if all attacks hit!

Assuming you are actually fighting an opponent at 4th who has a high AC, lets say 20, then avg total damage for surprise round and first round of combat = 66 (not including crits).

Let's say fighting Barb 1, Rang 1, Fighter 1, Paladin 1 with toughness, dwarf's toughness, and giant's toughness who rolled max on hit points and is a dwarf with a 20 con and full plate and a large shield. That character has 80 hit points. You have just managed to bring him down to 14 before he can touch you. Chances are he will not be able to kill you next round. That is when he dies because you bluff as your standard action next round catching him flatfooted again and draw your final crescent knife for the last attack at +7 for 1d3+4+4d6 dmg = avg of 19 killing the creature with the most possible hit points of anything that is CR 4.

MonkeyBoy

First Post
That's an interesting concept of "Core Rules" you have there, Gaiden.

I'd assumed he meant PHB, DMG, MM - them being the Core Rule books :D

MonkeyBoy

First Post
I like the Half-Orc Barb1/Rngr1/Ftr2.

18 Str -> 20
16 Con

Ex Weapon B'Sword
Weapon Focus B'Sword

Masterwork B'Swords x2

Dual wield for
Primary; +7 d10+5 19-20/x2
Off; +7 d10+2 19-20/x2

Single Wield for
Single; +11 d10+7 19-20/x2

Still have feats free for power attack / whatever.
PCGen gave avg HP as 47.

All those hit + damage scores are WITHOUT rage :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Half-orc Ftr2/Clr2 of St. Cuthbert (Strength and Destruction domains)

Str: 20
W. Focus (Greatsword)
Power Attack
Masterwork Greatsword

Normally:
To hit: +10 (+3 BAB, +5 Str, +1 W. Focus, +1 Masterwork)
Dmg: 2d6 + 7 (2d6 greatsword, +7 Str)

When Smiting (+4/+2 hit/dmg), Power Attacking (-3/+3 hit/dmg) and doing a Feat of Strength (+2 Str) at the same time:
To hit: +12 (+3 BAB, +6 Str, +1 W. Focus, +1 Masterwork, +4 Smite, -3 Power Attack)
Dmg: 2d6 + 14 (2d6 greatsword, +9 Str, +2 Smite, +3 Power Attack)

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
[Edit] Move along... nothing to see here. ;) Y'know, it's not very nice to point and laugh at me. It's not like you're never wrong! :D [/Edit]

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
Gaiden said:
1 rogue
1 ranger
2 fighter

stats

str18
chr18

feats cosmopolitan: iaijutsu focus, exotic weapon: crescent knife, combat reflexes, expert tactician, quick draw

skills

iajutsu focus - 11
bluff - 11

Must catch opponent by surprise:

surprise round: 4 attacks at +7 that each deal 1d3+4+4d6 (3d6 from iaijutsu focus assuming average roll) points of dmg (crescent knife allows two attacks in place of every single normal attack). Avg dmg = 78 (must draw each crescent knife meaning would attack with one hand and then use other hand for second attack with expert tactician at no penalty because of ambidex from ranger).

Assuming you win initiative you would then get six attacks all at +5 to hit. Assuming all hit avg dmg = 117 dmg (you would have to draw each crescent knife and drop it after each attack so you could draw a fresh weapon). The opponent is flatfooted for all of these attacks meaning he does not get dex bonus. (I am ignoring criticals right now).

Dmg total is 195 - pretty darn close for a 4th level! If you include criticals avg total dmg is above 200 if all attacks hit!

Assuming you are actually fighting an opponent at 4th who has a high AC, lets say 20, then avg total damage for surprise round and first round of combat = 66 (not including crits).

Let's say fighting Barb 1, Rang 1, Fighter 1, Paladin 1 with toughness, dwarf's toughness, and giant's toughness who rolled max on hit points and is a dwarf with a 20 con and full plate and a large shield. That character has 80 hit points. You have just managed to bring him down to 14 before he can touch you. Chances are he will not be able to kill you next round. That is when he dies because you bluff as your standard action next round catching him flatfooted again and draw your final crescent knife for the last attack at +7 for 1d3+4+4d6 dmg = avg of 19 killing the creature with the most possible hit points of anything that is CR 4.

I would assume the crescent knife works like shuriken, and only allow sneak attack damage on ONE of the two attacks. I guess, since I don't have OA, so I have no idea how that iaijutsu focus works either...but it should work the same as sneak attack I think. Why would you just attack once with this weapon? Note, that it's also hard to hide in melee, which you would need to do in order to surprise someone. Also, your attacks are at +5 because you still get a -2 penalty for TWF, even with the feats. So, average damage is 51 during an optimal surprise round...against AC 20, it drops to 38.25. Still, not bad for 4th level. That iaiijutsu focus sounds completely broken imo.

Geo

First Post
you can actually bluff someone as a standard action, then sneak attack them if they fail the bluff with your attack action. It's pretty cool. basically a feint, and they fall for it, so you stab them in the groin.

Iku Rex

Explorer
RogueJK said:
Actually, as a 4th level character, he would get a +4 enhancement bonus from the Strength domain. The Feat of Strength ability is based off of character level, not just cleric level.
Nope.

It's a class ability and based on class level.
(This is also the Sage ruling.)

Remove ads