• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5 Fighter Archetypes

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6762655]transcendantviewer[/MENTION]. Thanks for supplying specifics. Now I follow.

I think you mentioned somewhere upthread about making this a Warlock subclass in the end. I can see why. Initially, the old-school side of my brain was saying, "This is not a fighter." But the more I thought about it and looked at it through my 5E/newschool lens, I warmed to the idea. Now that subclasses like eldritch knight exist, why can't there be more supernatural fighter subclasses. This reminds me a lot of the 3E Hexblade (something I kind of rolled into the FOrtune Fighter, but felt it could have its own niche).

Probably not worth over-analysing, if this is no longer being used anyway, but I would be tempted to give them more uses initially and only increase when they get to levels of new subclass features.

And not sure that waiting until level 15 to be able to apply to saves is enough. Basically, isn't this like using Bane spell over and more expanded. A little weak. Perhaps increasing the dice to a d6 at the upper levels?

I really like this subclass. It is a very simple subclass. I like the basic mechanic and the concept. Wouldn't it also be cool to actually steal luck from those that have the Lucky feat?

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

I wanted it to be its own thing. It won't interact with the Lucky Feat at all unless the penalty is applied to a roll taken using the Lucky Reroll. And with the bounded accuracy in 5e, even a slight penalty can be a big deal, this subclass lets you literally warp fate at will. A lot. Even if it's just a d4, you get a lot of them that recharge after a long rest. It's the equivalant of a Sorcerer breaking down all his spell slots and just casting Bane all day every day. But bane gives a saving throw. This doesn't.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
It is its own thing. I like it. I just meant, you know, stealing luck from someone that was Lucky - wouldn't that be cool? No need for written rule or anything, but I would give a little benefit on top of things if this ever came up in the game :D

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
No it's not necessary. That's why I wrote, "no need for a rule or anything." Just saying, if that ever came up in a game, it would be conceptually cool and I would probably make up a game effect on the spot. Certainly does not need to be hard-wired into your archetype.

Remove ads