• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5-foot step and Huge Monsters

Random Axe

Explorer
In fully generic terms:
A PC with BAB +7/+2 can make two attacks in one round if his only move is a 5' step. If he moves 10' or greater, he can only make one attack.

What about a Huge size monster? Is a Huge creature (Space/Reach is 15/10) also limited to a 5' step in order to make a full attack? Or is it able to move a greater distance proportional to its size while still enjoying the benefit of a multiple attack?

frankthedm

First Post
Yep. It is bad enough the game rigs too many creature's movement speeds to be on par with slow humans, but then they make a medium bases' adjustment the defayult for every size.

Nail

First Post
Random Axe said:
Is a Huge creature (Space/Reach is 15/10) also limited to a 5' step in order to make a full attack?
Yes.

A creatures size (or movement rate!) has no effect on the "5-foot step"...unless the creature's movment rate is normally 5 feet or less.

The 5-foot step is a "adjustment", rather than an actual step. It's not about how long your legs are. :)

phindar

First Post
Yeah, I like the Single Step rule in which each size cat's free move is the size of its base. I've never been wild that a Tiny housecat, a Large dire lion and a Colossal cat all make the same position adjustment of 5', but changing has a pretty big impact on the way the game is played.

It makes big creatures scarier and they more easily dominate in melee, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. (I mean, it is for the smaller opponents, but then that's the point.) To me, it has a more Sword-and-Sorcery feel to it, where an ogre is a terrifying sight to behold.

Erywin

First Post
I definitely like your idea phinder, I too like the idea of larger monsters actually being more formidable in melee :) Maybe I will try out a new game with this house rule :)

Korak

First Post
Feel free to playtest it, but I think you'll find that huge and larger creatures will get full attacks much more often, and that spring attack will no longer be much of a tool for keeping a safe distance. Think about the enlarged fighter standing adjacent to his huge sized mount, quick mounting, having the mount 15' step, and quick dismounting on the diagonal. The fighter could travel 60' and still full attack.

lukelightning

First Post
Erywin said:
I definitely like your idea phinder, I too like the idea of larger monsters actually being more formidable in melee :) Maybe I will try out a new game with this house rule :)

I think this is a bad bad bad idea. Larger monsters are already more dangerous, with their reach and (often) high strength and damage output. Now you can have an 8-headed hydra make 8 attacks on someone and then move 15 feet away...anyone who tries to close will get 8 attacks of opportunity. Game over, no fun.

phindar

First Post
As an idea, I don't think its inherently good or bad. I think it has applications. But I'd agree its a substantial change to the combat system. D&D is probably the best system out there for getting into a boxing match with Godzilla. Size and speed tend to break down at the extremes anyway. The tarrasque can't even get out of its own footprint with a single move (30' base, 20' move).

The 5' Step is an essential abstraction to D&D combat as written. That's not to say there's no benefit to exploring alternatives. In an S&S style game, fighting a Tyrannosaurus migh tbe considered an epic encounter. Trying to kill that monster from Jurassic park in a toe to toe fight with nothing more than a yard of edged steel does seem like a type of insanity that the D&D rules don't really reflect.

Remove ads