5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Also, we were making it so it can use Hypnotic Stare and attack in the same round, either by making its stare a Bonus Action or adding it to Multiattack, like so:

Multiattack. The amiraspian cyclops uses Hypnotic Stare and makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws; or it uses Hypnotic Stare and makes two attacks with its greatclub or rocks.​
OR
Hypnotic Stare. As a bonus action, the amiraspian cyclops's eye becomes a twisting vortex of colors and it stares at a creature within 60 feet. If the target can see the cyclops it must make a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the stare, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0. The effect ends if an affected creature takes any damage, or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor.​
 A target that successfully saves is immune to this cyclops's stare for the next 24 hours.​

Which do you prefer, @Casimir Liber and @ilgatto?

Updating the Cyclops with both options as possibilities.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Also, we were making it so it can use Hypnotic Stare and attack in the same round, either by making its stare a Bonus Action or adding it to Multiattack, like so:

Multiattack. The amiraspian cyclops uses Hypnotic Stare and makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws; or it uses Hypnotic Stare and makes two attacks with its greatclub or rocks.​
OR
Hypnotic Stare. As a bonus action, the amiraspian cyclops's eye becomes a twisting vortex of colors and it stares at a creature within 60 feet. If the target can see the cyclops it must make a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the stare, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0. The effect ends if an affected creature takes any damage, or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor.​
 A target that successfully saves is immune to this cyclops's stare for the next 24 hours.​

Which do you prefer, @Casimir Liber and @ilgatto?

Updating the Cyclops with both options as possibilities.

Question: Does Multiattack in 5E mean that all attacks must be targeted at the same opponent?
5MM says: "A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability. A creature can't use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack."

Cleon

Legend
Question: Does Multiattack in 5E mean that all attacks must be targeted at the same opponent?

A creature can divide its Multiattack between targets however it likes.

5MM says: "A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability. A creature can't use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack."

That rule restricts an opportunity attack (which is a Reaction not an Action) to a single melee attack. So a Cyclops could use its Reaction to make a Bite, Claw, or Greatclub attack, but cannot use Multiattack or toss a Rock.

For clarification, in 5E a creature can make one Action, one Bonus Action, and one Reaction per round. Some abilities can be performed with several of these options. For example, an Opportunity Attack is a standard Reaction option (so all 5E creatures can use it to make one melee attack against an opponent that triggers the option, although it can only do so once per round). The creature uses one of its single melee attack abilities to perform the opportunity attack, but it can also use its Action that round to perform the same single melee attack ability as it opportunity-attacked with, provided said ability is in its Actions options.

Hmm… that's not that clarifying when I reread it, but hopefully you get the idea!

You might notice that the Counterstrike ability I whipped up for the Dragon Warriors rather bends and mangles the above rules, but you've got to show these rules who's boss sometimes!

ilgatto

How inconvenient
A creature can divide its Multiattack between targets however it likes.

That rule restricts an opportunity attack (which is a Reaction not an Action) to a single melee attack. So a Cyclops could use its Reaction to make a Bite, Claw, or Greatclub attack, but cannot use Multiattack or toss a Rock.

For clarification, in 5E a creature can make one Action, one Bonus Action, and one Reaction per round. Some abilities can be performed with several of these options. For example, an Opportunity Attack is a standard Reaction option (so all 5E creatures can use it to make one melee attack against an opponent that triggers the option, although it can only do so once per round). The creature uses one of its single melee attack abilities to perform the opportunity attack, but it can also use its Action that round to perform the same single melee attack ability as it opportunity-attacked with, provided said ability is in its Actions options.

Hmm… that's not that clarifying when I reread it, but hopefully you get the idea!
:)
You might notice that the Counterstrike ability I whipped up for the Dragon Warriors rather bends and mangles the above rules, but you've got to show these rules who's boss sometimes!

Oooooookay. So lemme type out loud here (it's what I do).

That means that my initial thought that it would be strange that the cyclops could use its stare only as a separate action doesn't really apply in 5E. Unless it would be something like an Attack of Opportunity, the opportunity being that a creature moves within range? Probably a bad example, but hey, just thinking.

So that means that having the glare as part of a Multiattack always allows the cyclops to use it against any opponent it can see within range. Which would also be true if we'd make it a Bonus Action.

Soooooo, in essence, since a combat round in 5E is only 6 seconds and since it would probably affect the cyclops' attacks if it would be using its stare against another creature than the ones it is fighting, I'd favor any ruling that would say that it can only use its stare as its only Action in a round.

However, I think we've already covered this upthread in:

So I guess it's just a question of how to phrase it?

Then I'd rather prefer it as a Bonus Action, as per your example:
Multiattack. The amiraspian cyclops makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws; or it makes two attacks with its greatclub or rocks.​

And:

Cleon

Legend

Oooooookay. So lemme type out loud here (it's what I do).

That means that my initial thought that it would be strange that the cyclops could use its stare only as a separate action doesn't really apply in 5E. Unless it would be something like an Attack of Opportunity, the opportunity being that a creature moves within range? Probably a bad example, but hey, just thinking.

So that means that having the glare as part of a Multiattack always allows the cyclops to use it against any opponent it can see within range. Which would also be true if we'd make it a Bonus Action.

Soooooo, in essence, since a combat round in 5E is only 6 seconds and since it would probably affect the cyclops' attacks if it would be using its stare against another creature than the ones it is fighting, I'd favor any ruling that would say that it can only use its stare as its only Action in a round.

However, I think we've already covered this upthread in:

So I guess it's just a question of how to phrase it?

The main difference between the two is, if Hypnotic Stare is a Bonus Action, then it can Multiattack and either Stare OR use a different Bonus Action, while if we include Stare in its Multiattack, it can make multiple melee attacks while using Stare AND use a Bonus Action.

Since it's current Bonus Action possibilities are "we give it Hypnotic Stare or nothing" being able to use Stare as part of Multiattack and then make some non-stare Bonus Action is not terribly valuable. It'd need some other Bonus Action option for it to be really useful!

However, a "Staring Multiattack" would mean a Cyclops cannot Stare while performing some other Action (unless that action is Hypnotic Stare, that is!), so it could not Stare and Cast a Spell*, Dash, Disengage or Dodge on the same turn.

*Unless it's a bonus action spell like expeditious retreat, in which case the Cyclops could cast that and use a staring Multiattack in the same round.

Then I'd rather prefer it as a Bonus Action, as per your example:
I prefer it as a bonus action

Well I did prefer the Mummy approach of including it in Multiattack, but realizing that'd prevent it Dashing or Disengaging on the same turn makes me shift my allegiance to a bonus action eyeballing.

So we're all agreed for once! :)

Updating the Cyclops.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The main difference between the two is, if Hypnotic Stare is a Bonus Action, then it can Multiattack and either Stare OR use a different Bonus Action, while if we include Stare in its Multiattack, it can make multiple melee attacks while using Stare AND use a Bonus Action.
That makes sense.
Since it's current Bonus Action possibilities are "we give it Hypnotic Stare or nothing" being able to use Stare as part of Multiattack and then make some non-stare Bonus Action is not terribly valuable. It'd need some other Bonus Action option for it to be really useful!

However, a "Staring Multiattack" would mean a Cyclops cannot Stare while performing some other Action (unless that action is Hypnotic Stare, that is!), so it could not Stare and Cast a Spell*, Dash, Disengage or Dodge on the same turn.

*Unless it's a bonus action spell like expeditious retreat, in which case the Cyclops could cast that and use a staring Multiattack in the same round.
Ah, yes..., erm..., pray forgive me for inevitable future mistakes/misremembering.:)
So we're all agreed for once! :)

Updating the Cyclops.
Huzzah!

So, what's next? Chieftains coz they may have to be included in the description?

AMIRASPIAN CYCLOPS

Amiraspian cyclopes are violent, one-eyed, man-eating giants, innate foes of humankind that continually raid villages, paralyzing their inhabitants with their hypnotic stare before slaughtering those that resist and taking the rest back to their cave lair to impregnate/violate the women and eat the others.
An Amiraspian cyclops stands nine feet tall and has dull, weathered tan skin and a clump of greenish black, straggly hair. It has powerful arms, clawed hands, and a large, wide maw with which it can inflict horrendous bites. Its single eye is a clear sea-green.
Amiraspian cyclopes can be found almost anywhere, including underground complexes, and they habitually dwell in caves.

(Bullying the Weak/Bullying and Lording It Over/Ruling the Weak/Lording It Over the Weak). Well-versed in the brutal and violent ways of various humanoids and typically speaking many of their languages, Amiraspian cyclopes are frequently found in control of a group of orcs, gnolls, goblins, hobgoblins, and perhaps other, similar humanoids (for svarts)?, dominating them because of their ferocity and strength.
Males Only. Possibly due to genetic deficiencies, there are no female Amiraspian cyclopes. However, they do procreate and they require human women for this purpose, which they capture on their raids and take back to their lair. Consequently, in any lair there will be from one to six pregnant human women, which will be devoured after childbirth. The children of this unholy union are either Amiraspian cyclopes, cyclopean humans with a single eye, or regular humans. Of these, the regular humans are devoured with the mother, the cyclopean humans are cast out to fend for themselves, and the Amiraspian cyclopes join the group.
Man-Eaters. Amiraspian cyclopes eat human flesh, though they prefer the meat of halflings, gnomes, dwarves, and elves. Any such creatures they have not eaten are kept prisoner in their lair, alive only until the day they are eaten. Amiraspian cyclopes dislike the flesh of half-orcs, although they will still kill them as a matter of course, leaving their corpses for scavengers.

Cleon

Legend
So here's a start on the Description…

An amiraspian cyclops stands around 9 feet tall and resembles a man in general shape, with powerful arms and clawed hands. Its face has a single massive eye, eerily human apart from its size and clear sea green in color, as well as a horrible mouth, broad and crammed with fangs. The cyclops's weathered skin is tan in colour, with scattered clumps of straggly green-black hair.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Let me rephrase myself: :)

AMIRASPIAN CYCLOPS

Amiraspian cyclopes are violent, one-eyed, man-eating giants, innate foes of humankind that continually raid villages, paralyzing their inhabitants with their hypnotic stare before slaughtering those that resist and taking the rest back to their cave lair to impregnate/violate the women and eat the others.
[NEW AND IMPROVED AS PER SUGGESTED]An Amiraspian cyclops stands nine feet tall and has dull, weathered tan skin with scattered clumps of greenish black, straggly hair. It resembles a man in general shape has powerful arms, clawed hands, and a large, wide maw crammed with fangs allowing it to inflict horrendous bites. Its face has a single massive eye, eerily human apart from its size and clear sea-green in color.[/NEW AND IMPROVED AS PER SUGGESTED]
Amiraspian cyclopes can be found almost anywhere, including underground complexes, and they habitually dwell in caves.
(Bullying the Weak/Bullying and Lording It Over/Ruling the Weak/Lording It Over the Weak). Well-versed in the brutal and violent ways of various humanoids and typically speaking many of their languages, Amiraspian cyclopes are frequently found in control of a group of orcs, gnolls, goblins, hobgoblins, and perhaps other, similar humanoids (for svarts)?, dominating them because of their ferocity and strength.
Males Only. Possibly due to genetic deficiencies, there are no female Amiraspian cyclopes. However, they do procreate and they require human women for this purpose, which they capture on their raids and take back to their lair. Consequently, in any lair there will be from one to six pregnant human women, which will be devoured after childbirth. The children of this unholy union are either Amiraspian cyclopes, cyclopean humans with a single eye, or regular humans. Of these, the regular humans are devoured with the mother, the cyclopean humans are cast out to fend for themselves, and the Amiraspian cyclopes join the group.
Man-Eaters. Amiraspian cyclopes eat human flesh, though they prefer the meat of halflings, gnomes, dwarves, and elves. Any such creatures they have not eaten are kept prisoner in their lair, alive only until the day they are eaten. Amiraspian cyclopes dislike the flesh of half-orcs, although they will still kill them as a matter of course, leaving their corpses for scavengers.

EDIT: Just noticed that 'giants' in the first sentence no longer applies.

Remove ads