Right - I renamed the critter "Shadowdancer", which seems to be fine. Went with speed 50 ft as you suggested so the DnDbeyond version looks like the final version above. Was just looking for an image before publishing but we're there otherwise...
O-kay - now published HereYes, I think we're done with the Dancer.
I guess I should rename the Enworld version to Shadowdancer just for the sake of consistency…
…and I'll need to change every "shadow dancer" in the text to "shadowdancer" while I'm at it.
…plus the credit will need a mention of it's original name.
I'll update the Indexes name to Shadowdancer once we've got a link to the D&D Beyond version.
I agree the permanent gain of 1 hp is tricky - maybe it only gains a hp if the critter it eats has more original hp than it? That would cap it pretty quickly....?
The original has its "consumed and given" spells as one-offs (I guess like a spell scroll or something), which is a way of limiting its power. i.e. it doesn't have slots as such, they just mentally evaporate after being cast.
Maybe spells come as a "package" from the most recent victim - when it eats a new brain, old "package" of spells is erased by new "package" of spells if new victim is a spellcaster. i.e. can only have one array of spells at a time.
There are some class abilities that cannot be obtained by devouring brains, such as a warlock's Pact abilities: a gu'en-deeko lacks the godlike patron required for Pact Magic, Pact Boon, Otherworldly Patron, Mystic Arcanum and Eldritch Master abilities, although it can gain a warlock's Eldritch Invocations and Ability Score Improvement abilities. Other classes are left to the DM's discretion.
- with the eating of a new brain of a humanoid with a level higher than an older brain, you're saying the older skills "fade" by a level...? Might be a good way to have them slowly disappear...?
- maybe rather than automatically go insane, make it a chance? A DC 10 WIS check per brain of victim 7th level or higher? Or DC 10+1/lvl above
7th? If forgone conlusion, the ape might never eat a strong victim, but if a chance then it might risk it for power....?
I like basing the (variable) DC save on proficiency + Cha is cool.
Reading this is pretty complex - am I waiting for you to reformulate now? Or you waiting for more feedback from me...?
Also been busy - missed feedback on nadie-bear. I like. and incorporated (but yet to work on howl...)
but yet to work on howl...
Yes that works - I like the "recharge on X" mechanic as more random than just "every 3 rounds" or whatever as adding some suspense via randomness.
The bottom haunting howl is good - 4-24 nandie-apes seems a reasonable number - substantial enough to be a problem but not huge.
Why is DC 12 in brackets - you thinking it might be better lower or higher? Maybe DC 10 as if hits all creatures could be a might overpowered?
Had missed bite by accident - added now - the 2d6+4 damage represents both claws as that seems the 5e way of doing things
Regarding its stealth - the folklore and 1e lore has it preferring darkness - so maybe make stealth Advantage on low light situations such as night-time.....?
Trying to rework description as follows:
The nandie-bear is a bulky and powerful ape-like creature that dwells in forested or rocky wilderness. Covered in shaggy black hair, it stands around 8-foot tall, though ambles around on four limbs more often than not. Its face has vaguely human-like features with baleful eyes and large jaws and teeth, hinting at its carnivorous diet.
It has developed a taste for human flesh, and at times may venture to pick off villagers or dwellers of isolated homesteads under the cover of darkness.
A nandie-bear invariably heads a colony of nandie-apes, where it lazes about while its subjects hunt and scavenge for it. It will generally only venture forth from the colony in the dead of night, conducting its forays alone. It may also lave the colony on occasion to answer the summons of its nandie-apes, though is always the last to respond.
Call to Arms. A nandie-ape can use its bonus action to make a chattering call. This gives it advantage on melee attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the nandie-ape's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
In addition, any members of the nandie-ape's colony within earshot of Call to Arms (about 300 feet) will come to aid the nandie-ape. Typically, 1d4 nandie-apes will arrive per round for 1d4 + 1 rounds, for a total of between 2 and 20 nandie-apes. If a nandie-ape is close to its nandie colony, 1d4 nandie-apes (or more) will arrive every round until the colony's entire population has turned up.
If more than one nandie-ape uses Call to Arms the number of creatures that arrive does not increase.
For a colony Call to Arms, the smallest nandie colonies contain 10d4 (10 to 40) to 15d4 (15 to 60) nandie-apes; bigger colonies usually have between 10d4+5d6 (15 to 70) and 5d4+5d6+5d8 (15 to 90) apes; the largest colonies can have from 5d4+10d6+5d8 (20 to 120) up to 5d4+5d6+5d8+5d12 (20 to 150) nandies. Always roll the largest dice first when determining how many nandie-apes respond to a colony Call to Arms. For a 12d4+3d6 colony, 1d6 nandie-apes arrive for 3 rounds (1st to 3rd), followed by 1d4 apes for 12 rounds (4th to 15th).
Boss nandie-apes who hear the call always arrive last. A nandie-bear, if present, always turns up after every nandie-apes within range has arrived.
The number of nandie-apes in a colony includes any present when a Call to Arms starts. This may reduce the number of apes who can arrive in response to the call. For example: adventurers stumble upon the lair of a 10d4+10d6 colony and encounter 25 nandie-apes plus a boss nandie-ape. That's roughly equivalent to 8d6 nandies, so 10d4+2d6 apes remain to answer their colony Call to Arms.
I like the idea of the nandie-bear having different attributes from its folklore - hence one version has reddish hair, and even the picture in WD18 has it on all fours. Maybe make it more demonic/aberrant or mutable? Its appearance changes with varying attributes?
Chattering Mobs. [Both nandie-apes and nandie-bears speak a primitive language of bestial chattering and gestures that can only convey simple concepts. The nandie beasts have no name for this language, but other creatures call it Kerit after one of the commonest sounds nandie-apes say, together with koddoelo. Kerit is both a spoken language and a sign-language, or both at the same time (nandie-apes prefer the latter, speaking while they gesture).
Nandie-apes love to chatter and only refrain from talking when stealth is essential. Nandie-bears are silent, they understand spoken Kerit but only communicate in sign-language.
The meaning of a sound or gesture in Kerit varies with the tone it is spoken in or the posture accompanying the gesture. Depending on this emphasis, "Kerit" literally means "Hungry", "Food" or "Feed Me!"; while "Koddoelo" means something like "Come Over Here!", "Here I Am!" or "Look At That!"
Can they speak to other monkeys and apes, or is it just koddoleo and kerits they can talk to?]
(Based on the Nandie in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980), from "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)
BTW here is revised Nandie-ape with first attempt at description
Nandie-apes are simian carnivores related to baboons; similar in appearance, they are much larger in size - at around 5 feet tall - and are as bulky as a dwarf or small human. They have brownish pelts and lack tails, and can walk or fight on two legs or scamper on all fours.
Nandie-apes dwell in rocky hill-country or thick forest/jungle, living in colonies that are usually (75%) headed by a mated pair (5d8) or a nandie bear (25%). The colony will have its lair in ruins or a cave complex, where there will be an additional 80% of young. In a secluded corner of the colony will be their "treasure" hoard, which is a vast pile of glittering shards and objects.
Outside the colony, they are encountered in groups of 2 to 12 adults. They are rarely encountered more than a mile from their colony. If unmolested, there is a 40% chance/3 turns that they will ignore anyone encountering them, a 30% chance/3 turns that they will attack, and a 30% chance that they will follow inquisitively. In encountered in their lair, those present will always screech to summon those that are elsewhere.
Nandie-apes make loyal pets if captured and suitably trained by one skilled in animal training. However, tamed ones lose the natural impulse to summon others.
Nandie-apes have their own language which consists of screeches and chatters - they do this almost incessantly. Their screech to summon others is indistinguishable to all save druids and rangers of at least fourth level, even if they have never encountered nandies before.
Hmm, I'm thinking that could be a lot more succinct. Maybe have the info about nandie-ape colony sizes in their Description section rather than the Call to Arms Special Trait?
Will need to think about it…