• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Might whip something up myself later today if I can muster up the energy, although I've got chores I really should do today or tomorrow.

Have to wait and see.

Here's a start…

A gray sqaarg is a golem like construct whose stocky humanoid form stands 5 feet tall. It appears to be crudely moulded out of clay but is actually made of solid stone. The creature is sculpted in the shape of naked sexless figure, bald and completely hairless, with broad shoulders and a heavily muscled physique that resembles an oversized beardless dwarf.​

Cleon

Legend
It's a bit wordier than I originally intended, but I came up with the following:

A gray sqaarg is a golem like construct whose stocky humanoid form stands 5 feet tall. It appears to be crudely moulded out of clay but is actually made of solid stone. The creature is sculpted in the shape of naked sexless figure, bald and completely hairless, with broad shoulders and a heavily muscled physique that resembles an oversized beardless dwarf.
 Gray sqaargs are capable of self-repair and effectively heal as quickly as a living dwarf.
Dwarven Guardians. Gray sqaargs were created by a long extinct dwarf dwarf culture. The objects and writings of these dwarves include unmistakable proof that they were evil creatures, who scholars speculate might be ancestors or relatives of the Duergar. Despite their creators' malevolence, the gray sqaargs are protective creatures designed to guard the territory and property of the dwarves by capturing intruders nonlethally.
 There are unverified reports of more types of sqaarg than the grays, with other colors of sqaarg performing different functions in the ancient dwarf society: white sqaarg acted as heavy laborers, red sqaarg were deadly warriors, and so on.
 A gray sqaarg is technically nearly mindless but capable of following complex instructions. Gray sqaargs are assigned a "beat" to patrol, such as the entrance to a mine and its surrounding paths. If it encounters a creature it wasn't told to let pass, which may requires a password forgotten centuries ago, the sqaarg tries to capture the intruder. It then imprisons the intruder and awaits orders from a dwarf master, who are unfortunately all long dead. Captured intruders must thus escape or eventually die of hunger, thirst, or old age: the sqaargs rarely have instructions to give prisoners food or water and are tireless and unaging jailers. If an intruder fights back, the sqaarg uses the "Knocking a Creature Out" rule and tries to render its opponent unconscious. A gray sqaarg only uses lethal force as a final option triggered by preset conditions, such as after being heavily damaged (e.g. at 35 hit points or less) or if the intruder stole a sacred dwarven relic.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Looks good - I might add (for DMing assistance) something along the lines of, "Instructions for grey sqaarg in different locales may differ, for instance one located in the inner sanctum of a temple or treasure-house may resort to lethal combat earlier than one on the periphery." or something like that.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good - I might add (for DMing assistance) something along the lines of, "Instructions for grey sqaarg in different locales may differ, for instance one located in the inner sanctum of a temple or treasure-house may resort to lethal combat earlier than one on the periphery." or something like that.

How's this revision:

 There are unverified reports of more types of sqaarg than the grays, with other colors of sqaarg filling different roles in the ancient dwarf society: white sqaargs work as heavy laborers; red sqaargs are deadly warriors; black sqaargs can speak, read and write many languages and may flawlessly repeat anything they're taught, green sqaargs are implacable and deadly hunter-scouts, and so on.
 A gray sqaarg is technically nearly mindless but capable of following complex orders. The specifics vary greatly depending on the duties performed by the sqaarg. Adventurers most commonly encounter gray sqaargs whose orders assign them a "beat" to patrol, such as the entrance to a mine and its surrounding paths. If the patrolling sqaarg encounters a creature it wasn't told to let pass, which may requires a password forgotten centuries ago, it tries to capture the intruder. The gray sqaarg then imprisons the intruder and awaits orders from a dwarf master, who are unfortunately all long dead. Captured intruders must escape or eventually die of hunger, thirst, or old age, since sqaargs rarely have instructions to give prisoners food or water and are tireless and unaging jailers. If an intruder fights back, the sqaarg uses the "Knocking a Creature Out" rule and tries to render its opponent unconscious. Gray sqaargs generally only uses lethal force as a final option triggered by preset conditions, such as being severely damaged (e.g. at 35 hit points or less) or if the intruder stole a sacred dwarven relic.
 Gray sqaargs with other duties will follow different set of instructions. For example, a gray sqaarg bouncer in the ruins of an exclusive dwarven tavern might try to evict any non-dwarf it encounters on the premises. A gray sqaarg guarding the Dwarf Queen's boudoir could be ordered to kill anyone who enters who isn't dwarven royalty or a Queen's handmaiden.​

I added a couple more rumored variants to the unverified reports, just 'cause I thought the ideas were cool.

Have no plans to stat any of them up. I already have enough ways to spend my spare time!

Remove ads