• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok, let's drop AC to 17 (same as stone golem...aaand..they're both stone). I added Reflexive Grip to statblock.

the evil dwarf was Obmi (Snurre's offsider) in Hall of the Fire Giant King (G3 - 1978)

but yes I was thinking duergar for these.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The AC ratings for statuesque stone entities have been all over the place ever since D&D. So if 5E has standardized this, AC as stone golem seems OK unless you want to emphasize the traditionally 'special nature' of golems.

Cleon

Legend
ok, let's drop AC to 17 (same as stone golem...aaand..they're both stone). I added Reflexive Grip to statblock.

Updating the Gray Sqaarg.

the evil dwarf was Obmi (Snurre's offsider) in Hall of the Fire Giant King (G3 - 1978)

Yes, that's the first guy who sprang to mind.

So where were we.

The Hit Points 72 (8d8 + 40) are way below the normal 131 to 145 hp range for Challenge 5 although the high AC should help compensate for that. We may want to add some more HD later depending on what the CR Calculator says.

EDIT: Hold on, 8d8 + 40 is 76 hit points, not 72. :ENDEDIT

Speed 20 ft. is fine.

I'm happy with DEX 9, CON 20 like a Stone Golem.

Might as well give it the same INT 3 and CHA 1 as a Stone Golem while we're at it.

Hmm, a Stone Golem is WIS 11 but the current rough draft Sqaarg is WIS 8. I'd rather give it WIS 10 so it doesn't have a Perception penalty, which'd be an undesirable feature for a construct that's supposed to patrol for intruders!

We settled on Damage Immunities poison, psychic and Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned.

but yes I was thinking duergar for these.

But were you thinking strongly enough about them to consider adding Undercommon to the Languages it can understand?

I'm thinking Dwarvish comprehension alone is enough.

Updating the Gray Sqaarg.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Okay, I ran some numbers through the CR calculator and the Gray Sqaarg comes to Challenge 5 with the 76 (8d8 + 40) hit points if it has a DPR from 15 to 26, which ought to be easy enough to wrangle, it comes.

Let's say its Crush does 2d6 + double Might and it normally applies a Might from 5 (its Strength bonus) to 8 (its maximum). That's a damage of 17 to 23 which falls neatly within the above ranges.

We need to handwave away how the "half damage on save" affects the calculation (it'd increase the DPR, but then a lower Might would decrease it). But Challenge Ratings are not an exact science, especially with a nonstandard approach to combat like this creature.

Actually, come to think of it it'd might be a bit more complex than that. Once a fight gets bloody, the sqaarg might use Seize on the first round and then Crush on the second and third, which'd reduce the DPR a bit. Then again, it could Reflexive Grip someone and get to use Crush all three rounds of its DPR average calculation.

Hmm, maybe we should increase the number/size of dice and use Might instead of double Might for the Crush to make the damage less swingey due to the changes in Might? Like have the Seize do 2d6 + Might and the Crush 4d6 + Might?

Still, the Waxing Might is really the Gray Sqaarg's schtick, so it should really have a significant impact on combat. Don't want to water it down too much.

Oh well, we can worry about it tomorrow…

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
What would be the problem of using stats and double might...and if CR bumps up by 1 then so be it?

I guess I am more interested in the meaty flavour of the critter...alternatively we could drop HD a little?

Cleon

Legend
What would be the problem of using stats and double might...and if CR bumps up by 1 then so be it?

Yeah, I prefer using Double Might for the Crush.

I guess I am more interested in the meaty flavour of the critter...alternatively we could drop HD a little?

Not in favour of that. They need a pretty good pile of hit points to tank the attacks of people objecting to being captured.

Might as well update the Gray Sqaarg with the stuff we've got above.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'm becoming tempted to add the following:

Strength Exercises. The gray sqaarg increase its Might score by 5 or increase the Might score of another gray sqaarg by 5 by applying its own Strength to the sqaarg's Waxing Might.​

That way it always has the option to apply +5 damage to its Seize or Crush attacks.

Hmm… not sure I like the name. Thought about calling it Flexing or Muscle Flexing (although I'm not sure stone can be considered musculature).

Also am not that fond Seize as the damaging grapple attack's name. What about changing it to Deadly Grapple or Lethal Wrestling?

Remove ads