5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
okay that looks good - have used so here (too long to screenshot in one hit...):

Looks good, although I was meaning to add a note about their habit of collecting shiny "treasure" in their lairs.

Will amend the initial Description as follows:

A koddoelo, commonly called a nandie-ape, resembles an oversized tailless baboon with mangy black-brown fur. They normally scamper on all fours but can walk and fight on their hind legs, standing around 5 feet tall on average. Male and female koddoelos are equal in size and status. Particularly large nandie-apes are called bosses (see Nandie-Ape Boss) and can exceed 6 feet in height. Nandie-ape colonies are usually led by boss nandies or a loathsome monster called a kerit or nandie-bear (see Nandie-Bear).
 Nandie-apes simians are omnivores who inhabit rocky hills, thick forests and jungles. While they would rather eat meat, most make do with a mostly vegetarian diet supplemented by bugs, lizards, and other small animals.
 A nandie-ape has a magpie-like fascination with anything shiny. Their lairs contain piles of brightly colored or sparkling objects they often squabble over. Few of these "treasures" are actually valuable.

Cleon

Legend
 A nandie-ape has a magpie-like fascination with anything shiny. Their lairs contain piles of brightly colored or sparkling objects they often squabble over. Few of these "treasures" are actually valuable.

Okay, I've updated the Nandie-Ape with the above addition.

I'm wondering if the credit's wording is a little clunky:

(Originally named Nandie, appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980) as part of "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)​

Although it's better than the previous version:

(Based on the Nandie in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980), from "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)​

Would either of the following be better?

(Originally named "Nandie"; first appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980) as part of "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)​
(Based on the Nandie in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980), originally appeared in "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)​

Any preferences?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I think I'd go with:
(Originally named "Nandie"; first appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980) as part of "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)

as we're trying to be faithful to the original. "Based on..." to me implies going off on more of a tangent really....

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd go with:
(Originally named "Nandie"; first appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980) as part of "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)

as we're trying to be faithful to the original. "Based on..." to me implies going off on more of a tangent really....

Yes, that's my preferred version too.

Updated the Nandie-Ape and Nandie-Ape Boss.

Do those look done to you?

If so, we can finish off the Nandie-Bear.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
The only thing that looks a little odd style-wise is flipping between "nandie-ape" and "koddoelo" in the description. I'd stick to the one term throughout the description after the initial mention of the two names. Looks good (and aligned) otherwise

Cleon

Legend
The only thing that looks a little odd style-wise is flipping between "nandie-ape" and "koddoelo" in the description. I'd stick to the one term throughout the description after the initial mention of the two names. Looks good (and aligned) otherwise

They're chaotic aligned. :p

No problem, I'll just swap a few koddoelos for nandie-apes in the Nandie-Ape (Koddoelo) Description…

Done!

Cleon

Legend
Ok - done and shared here

Boss is here

Dammit! I just realized I forgot to include the Proficiency bonus in the Passive Perception of the Nandie-Ape and Boss.

They should both have Senses passive Perception 13.

Also noticed I didn't copy-paste the final version of Call to Arms into the Nandie Boss. Better do that.

They both have a Claws attack, not a Claw attack. Also, the Boss's claws do 7 (2d4 + 2) damage not 6.

The Chaotic Mobs paragraph in the Nandie-Ape's Description needs a line space above and below it.

For the Boss's Description, I just referred to the regular Nandie-Ape with "See the Nandie-Ape (Koddoelo)" as there seemed little point repeating the same text.

Last edited:

Remove ads