D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Avandra: I'm not seeing why she would redirect an attack on her owl to herself, seeing it being immune to all damage types and conditions? I don't like that she can summon such a creature (one each round all day? What's the limitation?) that by the description is immune to attacks by most beings in the Omniverse. Something she is not herself.
Also, her unlucky legendary action. If the DM doesn't know all these conditions by heart, she's a nightmare to run if she uses that ability. Also, the target can become invisible?? How does that help Avandra? Also, this ability has no save or attack roll? Very, very powerful.

Kord: Has a Kelmar Smite attack as a legendary action that's not described.
Short put: Does the creature thrown become prone as well? MAybe the creature hit should suffer half damage (a caver troll attack in 4e had the troll bash with a grappled enemy. If the grabbed creature was wearing heavy armor, the creature struck was stunned as well. Might be inspirational).
Sleeper Hold: Was if the creature grabbed doesn't need to breathe or similar?
Now, I know about bounded accuracy, but using his action for the round to summon creatures that are more than 20 CR below his own seems.... well, pointless. Unless he uses it as a buff, since he can apparently use this ability an unlimited numbers of times, filling the world with Berserkers and Hill Giants (i.e. it needs some restrictions on use). This point applies to Lolth as well.

Melora: Multiattack refers to Spear of the Wilds attack, which is not described.
Call of the Wild needs a restriction
Earthen Mistress is harsh on the DM "quick, make up CR 35 abilities that the goddess gets from becoming the land!"
Shape of the Wild needs tightening up, or every new beast, fey or plant added to the game will add to the DM's headache and bring about DruidZilla from editions past.

Lolth Bite attack: Can the save at the end of a creature's turn remove the exhaustion from succesful saves? Are the exhaustion levels cumulative?
Is a creature restrained by impaling leg if Lolth moves after the attack?
Summon: Why would she spend her action on this, unless she did it repeatedly for hours before combat?

Vecna: Undead Casters says included in the aatack at the end. But it cannot be included in his attacks listed, as his spell damage is not listed.
I don't see why the DC for Corpus Liquiface is 30, when it's 36 for all other attacks? How is this calculated?
Spell recall needs not to be random. Using two legendary actions to randomly recall a level 1 or two spell is a losing bet. Bad odds. Even worse, if he hasn't used the low level spells (likely, he's going up against epic characters), the action is wasted. He doesn't even get some benefit! MAybe instead something like recall two spell levels per legendary action or something.
Soul Rend: How can the creature be restored? Besides losing you r epic character on a save or die roll (buh, bad!), there's also the other gods and powerful beings etc. that might be targeted (yeah yeah immune death magic, but still).

This might come off as overly negative. It's not meant that way. I like the designs, and only mention (in short form), what I think can be improved. Apologize if it comes across as blunt or worse.

dave2008

Legend
Domiel of the Hebdomad by MechaTarrasque has been added to the Hebdomad sub-category of the Demigods & Celestials category. Thank you for the contribution MechaTarrasque! Check it out and let us know what you think.

dave2008

Legend
Avandra: I'm not seeing why she would redirect an attack on her owl to herself, seeing it being immune to all damage types and conditions? I don't like that she can summon such a creature (one each round all day? What's the limitation?) that by the description is immune to attacks by most beings in the Omniverse. Something she is not herself.

Just wanted to point out that the owl is resistant to all damage, thus it essential doubles the HP to 38. Not so ominverse beating. That being said, I think it would be best to give it a name then make a separate stat block for it, and just make it tough enough to withstand some damage. I've already made Owl Archons, so I've got a good start. And of course it does need a limitation as well.

Last edited:

szymanski808

First Post
Avandra:
Her owl is resistant to all damage types, not immune.
If you're playing an epic level campaign you shouldn't worry about doing a quick check as to what a status effect does. No lazy DMS. Target becoming invisible is just the hand of fate, they can also be knocked unconscious with no save. I was trying to make it equally random.

Melora:
Call of the Wild should be a 1/day, but if the DM has a problem with it they shouldn't use it, simple as that, if it's headache, then they haven't prepared properly.
I thought Earthen Mistress would allow for a variety of creativity on the DMS part. If the DM isn't creative, they shouldn't use it.

Lolth: I would say no, the creature cannot remove the exhaustion, and yes, they are cumulative.
Summon: Why would she? Because she is able to.

Vecna: Corpus Liquiface: The DC was lowered because it isn't as simple as a power word kill, normal revival spells more than likely wouldn't work, but if you think it should have the same DC that's fine.
I don't see why Spell Recall couldn't be say 2d6 maybe? or 3d4? Or something like that.

I also don't mean to sound hostile, I am also a blunt person. ;P

szymanski808

First Post
Max, I appreciate all the comments. These gods were submitted by a new contributor who had a different approach to the gods. I did a couple passes with him to get them closer to the standard, but there is still room for improvement! I really appreciate the extra eyes to help spot these things because it is easy to miss when your knee-deep into the editing and design trying to get them posted ASAP so you can move on to other things.

I give them another pass to address your comments. One thing to note, some things may not appear to have any value for epic combat (summoning a lot of low CR minions), but I feel they fit the theme of the god/goddess, so they may not change that much.

Also, one thing szymanski808 has brought to the table is some out-of-the-box thinking about deity design which I appreciate. Some things with gods will just be difficult to DM (like Melora's power), and I am OK with that. A DM can always choose not to use that ability/action. It does, however, need to be kept to a minimum.

Thank you for the review and comments!

I think there is an excellent point here "One thing to note, some things may not appear to have any value for epic combat (summoning a lot of low CR minions), but I feel they fit the theme of the god/goddess, so they may not change that much."

This implies that these creatures are not just meant for one-on-one fighting with a group of adventurers. They are gods, and they can influence the world in a way that may not even necessarily be advantageous to combat, but it is part of who they are as NCPs

dave2008

Legend
Also, her unlucky legendary action. If the DM doesn't know all these conditions by heart, she's a nightmare to run if she uses that ability. Also, the target can become invisible?? How does that help Avandra? Also, this ability has no save or attack roll? Very, very powerful.

Kord: Has a Kelmar Smite attack as a legendary action that's not described.
Short put: Does the creature thrown become prone as well? MAybe the creature hit should suffer half damage (a caver troll attack in 4e had the troll bash with a grappled enemy. If the grabbed creature was wearing heavy armor, the creature struck was stunned as well. Might be inspirational).
Sleeper Hold: Was if the creature grabbed doesn't need to breathe or similar?
Now, I know about bounded accuracy, but using his action for the round to summon creatures that are more than 20 CR below his own seems.... well, pointless. Unless he uses it as a buff, since he can apparently use this ability an unlimited numbers of times, filling the world with Berserkers and Hill Giants (i.e. it needs some restrictions on use). This point applies to Lolth as well.

Melora: Multiattack refers to Spear of the Wilds attack, which is not described.
Call of the Wild needs a restriction
Earthen Mistress is harsh on the DM "quick, make up CR 35 abilities that the goddess gets from becoming the land!"
Shape of the Wild needs tightening up, or every new beast, fey or plant added to the game will add to the DM's headache and bring about DruidZilla from editions past.

Lolth Bite attack: Can the save at the end of a creature's turn remove the exhaustion from succesful saves? Are the exhaustion levels cumulative?
Is a creature restrained by impaling leg if Lolth moves after the attack?
Summon: Why would she spend her action on this, unless she did it repeatedly for hours before combat?

Vecna: Undead Casters says included in the aatack at the end. But it cannot be included in his attacks listed, as his spell damage is not listed.
I don't see why the DC for Corpus Liquiface is 30, when it's 36 for all other attacks? How is this calculated?
Spell recall needs not to be random. Using two legendary actions to randomly recall a level 1 or two spell is a losing bet. Bad odds. Even worse, if he hasn't used the low level spells (likely, he's going up against epic characters), the action is wasted. He doesn't even get some benefit! MAybe instead something like recall two spell levels per legendary action or something.
Soul Rend: How can the creature be restored? Besides losing you r epic character on a save or die roll (buh, bad!), there's also the other gods and powerful beings etc. that might be targeted (yeah yeah immune death magic, but still).

This might come off as overly negative. It's not meant that way. I like the designs, and only mention (in short form), what I think can be improved. Apologize if it comes across as blunt or worse.

Accidentally deleted this post, so I thought I would repost:

Matrix, I appreciate all the comments. These gods were submitted by a new contributor who had a different approach to the gods. I did a couple passes with him to get them closer to the standard, but there is still room for improvement! I really appreciate the extra eyes to help spot these things because it is easy to miss when your knee-deep into the editing and design trying to get them posted ASAP so you can move on to other things.

I give them another pass to address your comments. One thing to note, some things may not appear to have any value for epic combat (summoning a lot of low CR minions), but I feel they fit the theme of the god/goddess, so they may not change that much.

Also, one thing szymanski808 has brought to the table is some out-of-the-box thinking about deity design which I appreciate. Some things with gods will just be difficult to DM (like Melora's power), and I am OK with that. A DM can always choose not to use that ability/action. It does, however, need to be kept to a minimum.

Thank you for the review and comments!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Avandra:
Her owl is resistant to all damage types, not immune.

szymanski808, do you mind it I revise the owl summons a bit. I do agree it is a bit clunky. I would prefer she summons her owl and I can make a stat block for it. It will simplify the entry and some more story potential I think.

I think there is an excellent point here "One thing to note, some things may not appear to have any value for epic combat (summoning a lot of low CR minions), but I feel they fit the theme of the god/goddess, so they may not change that much."

This implies that these creatures are not just meant for one-on-one fighting with a group of adventurers. They are gods, and they can influence the world in a way that may not even necessarily be advantageous to combat, but it is part of who they are as NCPs

Then there's the age old discussion about whether such things should be in the combat stat bloc. 4E has spoiled me in this regard, which is also why I don't buy your "the DM is unprepared. The DM has no imagination" handwave argument. If the design forces the DMG to overly long preparation or complicated improvisation, and we're not playing an indie game, change the design.

Edit: and my mistake with the owl :)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Then there's the age old discussion about whether such things should be in the combat stat bloc. 4E has spoiled me in this regard, which is also why I don't buy your "the DM is unprepared. The DM has no imagination" handwave argument. If the design forces the DMG to overly long preparation or complicated improvisation, and we're not playing an indie game, change the design.

Edit: and my mistake with the owl :)

Yeah, one thing that I haven't yet discussed with anyone participating with this thread is the next stage of these epic monster designs: portfolios. I intend to add portfolio abilities (and domain abilities) in the descriptive text eventually, similar to lair actions for dragons (very similar for domain actions, not as much for portfolio checks). It is the portfolio abilities were I intend to move the move free-form actions/traits. It will be something quite different and easily removable if you don't want to use them. So some of the things that are currently in the stat block may move to portfolio checks when I move to that stage.

The big reason I haven't added these yet is that I haven't figured them out yet! That, and it will take a lot of time and effort. Starting with the easier stuff.

dave2008

Legend

We have discussed the owl, but I revised it anyway. Just needed to make stat for Aire now.

I think I DM should now this conditions or have quick reference to them. They are like to come up regularly in high-level and epic games. However, I have added a saving throw. Keeping the invisibility currently (doesn't really hurt Avandra as she has truesight), but that may change.

Anyway a revised Avandra has been posted, thank you for the input.

Remove ads