• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Ooohh.... very nice!
Maybe consider noting that the WinterWight can only grapple two creatures max, and that it can't make 4 claw attacks when grappling (or does it just attack 4 times with one claw then?) Can the winterwight make claw attacks when grappling two creatures? If not, Rend suddenly isn't that useful (only one rend per round). So maybe this needs some thought?

Also, you've completely skipped the Winterwights drain ability? (not saying con drain is a good idea, but maybe life drain a la standard 5E ability?)

dave2008

Legend
Ooohh.... very nice!
Maybe consider noting that the WinterWight can only grapple two creatures max, and that it can't make 4 claw attacks when grappling (or does it just attack 4 times with one claw then?) Can the winterwight make claw attacks when grappling two creatures? If not, Rend suddenly isn't that useful (only one rend per round). So maybe this needs some thought?

Yes, that could use a little clarification - I got a little lazy/rushed to get this out before I had other chores to attend to (dishes):) Do you have to use an action to end a grapple? I will need to look that up.

Also, you've completely skipped the Winterwights drain ability? (not saying con drain is a good idea, but maybe life drain a la standard 5E ability?)

Not completely, I re-imagined it as the blightfire ranged attack. I gave it ongoing hp damage + exhaustion to represent life drain. For some reason I didn't like the idea of it being on every attack. I can re-think that if you feel it is an essential part of the winterwight.

Yes, that could use a little clarification - I got a little lazy/rushed to get this out before I had other chores to attend to (dishes):) Do you have to use an action to end a grapple? I will need to look that up.
No action.

Not completely, I re-imagined it as the blightfire ranged attack. I gave it ongoing hp damage + exhaustion to represent life drain. For some reason I didn't like the idea of it being on every attack. I can re-think that if you feel it is an essential part of the winterwight.
Nah :)

dave2008

Legend

I've updated the Winterwight to clarify the grappling. In addition, the way I see it working is: if it maintains the grapple it does limit its ability to attack additional foes (it can still attack the grappled target 4x though). My thought is that it wouldn't maintain the grapple though. It attacks, when it hits twice it makes the rend attack and the releases so it is free to make the rest of its attacks. Now if the the last two attacks hit, it could maintain the grapple through the start of its next turn so that it would get the bonus action first.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Hunefer from the Epic Level Handbook to the Undead section. For those that are unfamiliar (because I was), the Hunefer is essential a mummified demigod.

I've updated the Winterwight to clarify the grappling. In addition, the way I see it working is: if it maintains the grapple it does limit its ability to attack additional foes (it can still attack the grappled target 4x though). My thought is that it wouldn't maintain the grapple though. It attacks, when it hits twice it makes the rend attack and the releases so it is free to make the rest of its attacks. Now if the the last two attacks hit, it could maintain the grapple through the start of its next turn so that it would get the bonus action first.
Much clearer. Thank you.

I have added the Hunefer from the Epic Level Handbook to the Undead section. For those that are unfamiliar (because I was), the Hunefer is essential a mummified demigod.
Very cool. Maybe the dead foe arising as a mummy should keep all abilities in life in addition to mummy powers? Otherwise, a CR3 mummy will be irrelevant at the levels you meet the Hunefer.

Remove ads