D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

It's late in my part of the world and I have a cold, but come tomorrow I'll make some comments on Lolth and Vecna.
I like their concepts, but think the descriptions for some of their powers need tightening up.

I think it might be simpler for Vecna to do something like:

At will: any spell on the wizard spell list 8th level or lower as an 8th level spell
3/day: any spell on the wizard spell list as a 9th level spell (total of 3 9th level spells per day), any spell on the cleric spell list 8th level or lower as an 8th level spell (total of 3 8th level spells per day)
1/day: any spell on the cleric spell list as a 9th level spell

I am not big on cantrips and low-level spells for gods unless they are casting them as 7th level or above spells. It is fine for a lich to cast the odd 3rd-level spell at a party of PC's, but it should be beneath the dignity of the god of liches to do so.

Some lower level spells might be better used as special abilities. So instead of hex, Vecna might have Mass Hex (1/day): everyone with 200 feet of Vecna that he chooses must make a X DC wisdom save or be affected by a hex spell until their next long rest.

dave2008

Legend
I think it might be simpler for Vecna to do something like:

At will: any spell on the wizard spell list 8th level or lower as an 8th level spell
3/day: any spell on the wizard spell list as a 9th level spell (total of 3 9th level spells per day), any spell on the cleric spell list 8th level or lower as an 8th level spell (total of 3 8th level spells per day)
1/day: any spell on the cleric spell list as a 9th level spell

I am not big on cantrips and low-level spells for gods unless they are casting them as 7th level or above spells. It is fine for a lich to cast the odd 3rd-level spell at a party of PC's, but it should be beneath the dignity of the god of liches to do so.

Some lower level spells might be better used as special abilities. So instead of hex, Vecna might have Mass Hex (1/day): everyone with 200 feet of Vecna that he chooses must make a X DC wisdom save or be affected by a hex spell until their next long rest.

Those are all good points and I tend to agree, that is partially why we reference the "Intermediate Gods" entry which explains that Intermediate gods cast all innate spells at 7th level min. Though I haven't codified it yet, my general design assumption (for Intermediate Gods) is the minimum spell level for innate casting is: at-wills 7th level, 3/day 8th level, and 1/day 9th level . One step lower for lesser gods and one step higher for greater gods.

I still need to work out the higher level magic (10th, 11th, 12th, & 13th level) and then come back to all of these drafts and updated them. I was planning on making my final decision then, but maybe I need to move that timeline up.

And I like the idea of just giving them the list, but I would probably reserve that for "Gods of Magic" I think of Vecna as definitely a spell casting god, but more a god of secret lore, god of (un)death, and not a god of Magic. I did give Corellon something like that though as he is a god of magic. I could see giving him every 7th level and lower necromancy spell as an at-will, every necromancy spell of 8th level as 3/day and every 9th level necromancy spell as 1/day. That might be better as "spell casting" takes up a lot of space and I agree that it doesn't feel very god-like. Sounds like we need a Vecna 2.0!

I also added the enhanced at-will "Finger of Death" for these reasons as well. I definitely like the mass hex idea.

It has been too long since I read the Intermediate Gods section.....

I was going to just go necromancy, but "god of secrets" got me thinking illusion and divination. That being said, necromancy is his big area, particularly for combat.

dave2008

Legend
It has been too long since I read the Intermediate Gods section.....

I was going to just go necromancy, but "god of secrets" got me thinking illusion and divination. That being said, necromancy is his big area, particularly for combat.

Well it is easy to miss. Good point about illusion and divination. Should probably sprinkle in some of those spells as well.

dave2008

Legend
I have posted Avandra the goddess of freedom and luck by szymanski808 in the intermediate gods category. Let us know what you think!

dave2008

Legend
I posted a minor update to Kord and I have also posted the goddess of nature, the Intermediate God Melora! Another submission by szymanski808 - thank you very much for the help! Let us know what you think.

Remove ads