D&D 5E 5e has everything it needs for Dark Sun

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Except in Dark Sun. Dark Sun cares too much about where it comes from. Dark Sun wants to ban divine, corrupt arcane, limit primal and others and exalt psionics. Which doesn't work with 5e because there is no link between these terms and how the game handles magic
Dark Sun is a official setting where hard defined supernatural and mundane power sources are 100% canon. Possibly it and 4e Nentir Vale are the only ones.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You're not interacting with an thinking rock. You are using your thoughts to create energy which has the ability to interact with matter and lift it.

It's either that or midichlorians. Take your pick or force-arm wrestle it out.

ChaosOS

Legend
I will say, I don't get why people feel a terrible need to shoehorn 5e FR cosmology (The Weave, Shadowfell/Feywild) into Dark Sun. Dark Sun is not FR, the core books present the FR cosmology as a starter set of assumptions because it hews closest to "classic fantasy" assumptions. The Grey is the Grey, the Black is the Black. I will say I like how 4e incorporated "the lands between the wind" for the feywild and some of the primordial/god lore as possible backgrounds, but Dark Sun is explicitly not a setting that's intended to feature great bouts of planar travel.

Remathilis

Legend
Because the real definition of divine magic is that it can be taken away. If you don't do what your God wants or you break your oath your power goes away. The divine soul sorcerer has that divine spark inside of himself so that power cannot be taken away.

Ignoring for DM fiat, there is no rule in D&D for losing your class powers. Not for clerics, druids, paladinr or warlocks. It's a fine house-rule, and it's kinda implied sorta-in Oathbreaker paladins, but RAW there is no mechanic in play that takes away your spellcasting.

Which is part of the problem with this exercise; we're still applying definitions to spellcasting that no longer is universally applicable. When Dark Sun was created, there were only two Spellcaster groups: Priest and Wizard so it was easy to lump everything arcane into the Wizard group and everything Divine under Priest. Likewise, 3e precisely defined Arcane and Divine as having innate qualities (like Arcane Spell Failure or Divine Focus components) and 4e lived and died by power-source and role. But 5e has no such structures and even less consistency.

Dark Sun is going to have to force that structure onto 5e, and it's not going to be an easy fit. It will either have to do that class by class (and ignore areas where power-source changes, like the aberrant mind or divine soul) or do so by subclass and be outdated the minute a new book with subclasses in it is released. Neither is as clean as the older editions, but that's the price we paid for having 14 classes try to do the job of 30+ from editions past...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I will say, I don't get why people feel a terrible need to shoehorn 5e FR cosmology (The Weave, Shadowfell/Feywild) into Dark Sun. Dark Sun is not FR, the core books present the FR cosmology as a starter set of assumptions because it hews closest to "classic fantasy" assumptions. The Grey is the Grey, the Black is the Black. I will say I like how 4e incorporated "the lands between the wind" for the feywild and some of the primordial/god lore as possible backgrounds, but Dark Sun is explicitly not a setting that's intended to feature great bouts of planar travel.
The Weave exists everywhere in the 5e multiverse per RAW. It might not be called the weave, and might interact differently, but it exists in Dark Sun unless specific beats general when(and if) they put the book out.

Remathilis

Legend
Ironically, the only place the words Arcane and Divine are used to describe spellcasting and spellcaster classes is in a subsection called "The Weave of Magic"

Yaarel

He Mage
You are using your thoughts to create energy which has the ability to interact with matter and lift it.
Heh.

Once one asks, "How do thoughts create energy?" "What is this energy?" "Where does this energy come from?" "How do thoughts inside ones skull create this energy at a distance?"

The answer goes back to, mind is everywhere.

Remathilis

Legend
The Weave exists everywhere in the 5e multiverse per RAW. It might not be called the weave, and might interact differently, but it exists in Dark Sun unless specific beats general when(and if) they put the book out.
I'm going technically disagree; it's a default assumption about the Multiverse of D&D, but it's not a rule, its lore/fluff. There are no inherent rules in the game directly tied to the concept of the Weave, it is merely the default assumption to explain how magic works. (Akin to the Great Wheel being the default assumption of how the Multiverse is arranged).

Less Rule As Written, more Default Lore Concept.

Remove ads