• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E needs to be pro-moldbreaking

jadrax

Adventurer
I think more than stating 'The GM can do what he wants' the DMG needs to be offering practical information on world building. That sort of advice has been very much missing from the last two editions.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
These all sound like fine DRAGON articles. :)

I'd like the core to set the baseline game, and a few common sense ideas on how to change things (the 3e DMG does this really well). I really don't want to see half-fiendish ochre jelly PCs again, so if we put weird stuff in supplements and focus on the baseline or common options in core, we can strike the right balance.
We'll have to accept some things come later.

Not everything has to be in the core book.
But some of it must be.

It's like handing someone a deck of cards and the instructions for Poker, and then saying "You don't have to play Poker."

You can't give the DM the belief that he or she can do whatever he wants
then wait 6 months to hand him or her the tools. The DMG and MM needs some customization tools up front.

This portion was stated several times in the 3e DMG and, apparently, many people either ignored it or skipped over it. I also don't think it is enough for it to be just in the DMG. It needs to be stated in the PHB as well so that the players are made aware.

I think more than stating 'The GM can do what he wants' the DMG needs to be offering practical information on world building. That sort of advice has been very much missing from the last two editions.

Exactly. Customization needs to be an open and hard to miss section of the book.

---

It also helps with the sense of wonder and mystery issue. Many of us know all the monster and cultures and items and personalities.

If the DM can shift a minotaur from Melee to Magic, the players can feel that sense of surprise again. No one expect Desert Elves hopping out the sand and firing a spray of arrows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads