D&D 5E 5e/Next Cosmology

TwinBahamut

First Post
Yeah, that "D&D is not D&D without the Great Wheel" line is kinda bad. It even seems to flatly go against the tone of "change the cosmology to match what you want!" tone they're trying to go for in the article. How did that kind of thing slip through an editor? Do they edit these articles?

I certainly preferred the elemental chaos and astral sea over the excessively over-designed Great Wheel and Inner Planes, but I honestly would like to see something even more new. Or rather, I really would like to see them abandon the idea of a core planar cosmology entirely. It leads to ugliness where they treat non-setting material as if it were a campaign setting. I hated both the 3E and 4E Manual of the Planes because of that. If they want to make a planar setting, then reprint Planescape and build it for the Planescape fans. Otherwise, make the Manual of the Planes a book for people who don't want to play Planescape, and instead want to create their own fantastical realms.

Of course, I'd be just as happy if they removed all talk of the planes from the main books. Planar adventure isn't exactly essential to the typical D&D experience, and it isn't necessary to explain what happens with spells and effects. Dialing back the reliance on bizarre cosmology might help the game a bit.

If they want to make a planar setting, then reprint Planescape and build it for the Planescape fans. Otherwise, make the Manual of the Planes a book for people who don't want to play Planescape, and instead want to create their own fantastical realms.

Please, no. That's not what Planescape was about. Planescape was about a setting involving factions of "philosophers with clubs" (Zeb Cook's words), all brought together in one central meeting place (a city), and with the Lady of Pain there to ensure that no one faction could bring in a nuke (or a God) and take over. It was a setting where people lined up by ideology rather than god or species. Planescape was Sigil and the Factions.

I'd much rather use something more like Spelljammer for a planar setting - that had a much more exploration-y vibe from what I recall. And now someone's going to say how that wasn't Spelljammer either.

Steely_Dan

First Post
1st Ed has the Great Wheel, what's wrong with considering that D&D?

Interesting how this seems to be a game where some people want it to be a different game than what it is.

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
I don't want the "Great Wheel", I preferred 4e's base cosmology--it's closer to what I was working on in the later days of 3e.

What has me worried, though, is that the Great Wheel will be written into the mechanics like it was in 3e, so that you have to remake various spells to use anything else.

Herschel

Adventurer
The Great Wheel blew. I had gone away from it in previous editions and ended up with something that looked a whole lot like what 4E "introduced".

Ahnehnois

First Post
The Great Wheel is the classic D&D cosmology. That much they have right.

Cosmology shouldn't be assumed more than any aspect of setting though (which is to say, it shouldn't be assumed).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases