(5e) Should Rogues be able to sneak attack with all light weapons?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I straight-out removed the Finesse requirement for Sneak Attack, so it can be performed with any weapon.
I have yet to see any balance issues. Rogues get much less out of a large damage die than say, Fighters do.
I'm fine with my Booming Blade Swashbuckler not being able to use a polearm, but yeah I don't think there's any big deal with rogue weapons in terms of balance. I think it's a combination of narrative, and perception of balance, which Mearls has said is just as important as actual numerically quantifiable balance.

I think that there might be some confusion between the common use of "finesse" - to handle with skill (or similar) and D&D's usage of "Finesse weapon" - a weapon whose damage may not be determined by the speed and force that it strikes with, but rather the grace and balance of its wielder.
Not in this case.

Seriously, look at French cane fighting. It's a rapier without an edge, and it doesn't take brute force to break an enemy's fingers, lower ribs, or face and neck bones, with the end of a light, finely balanced, stick with a steel cap.

It's every bit as much a finesse weapon as a scimitar, and probably moreso.

Horwath

Legend
I was thinking of allowing all weapons to work for sneak attack that you are proficient.

2d6 or 1d12 is not a huge boost over 1d8(rapier) and gives option for str rogues vs all dex rogues.

And str needs more versatility.

I think sneak attack with big weapons might be an issue at low levels (1st-4th), when base weapon damage matters more, and Extra Attack hasn't come into play yet. One game I played in, the rogue consistently dealt significantly more damage than the fighter in this level range.

I think sneak attack with big weapons might be an issue at low levels (1st-4th), when base weapon damage matters more, and Extra Attack hasn't come into play yet. One game I played in, the rogue consistently dealt significantly more damage than the fighter in this level range.

I don't think that there would be a problem. Remember they still need proficiency, and if they want to use a big damage dice, they'll have to split investment in Strength as well as Dex.

aco175

Legend
I have not implemented it, but think that they should be able to SA with anything they are proficient with. I have a dwarf with a handaxe since it feels right. Maybe limit it to 1-handed. Not sure why, but battleaxe does not feel right.

Oofta

Legend
We allow any one handed melee or thrown weapon to do sneak attack in our campaign. I don't see a particular problem with any weapon either.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Update: I'm officially allowing sneak attack with all light weapons! Woot! :)

Woot woot! Cheers all around! My rogue will rejoice!!! :D

Wait a minute... I don't play in your game. Rats! I got all excited for nothing... sigh... maybe I can convince my DM anyway.

Remove ads