(5e) Should Rogues be able to sneak attack with all light weapons?

S'mon

Legend
Would it do any harm to let a Rogue sneak attack with a club (d4, light, bludgeoning)? Coshing the victim seems appropriately thematic! How about hand axes? Are there any balance issues?

i_dont_meta

Explorer
The only reason I see for the omission of Bludgeoning weapons from the Rogue is that a number of creatures that are resistant to Slashing and/or Piercing were also typically immune to Sneak Attack in previous editions (undead, oozes, etc.) This might help give it a shout back to the old school, if even in a minor way.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think the reason for the restriction is a legacy one -- this was once the "backstab", and so piercing weapons are conceptual fits.

Three solutions I have toyed with to increase the scope of the rogue:

1. let all simple light weapons be eligible (as you suggest)
2. have a (homebrewed) archetype that at level 3 allows all simple melee weapons to be used with sneak attack (the "Thug" -- a strength-favoring archetype)
3. add to the eligible rogue weapons: the sap--1 hp damage, bludgeoning simple weapon, finesse.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Are there any balance issues?

There are 9 monsters in the entire game that have a vulnerability to Bludgeoning Damage, and most of them are skeletons. There are exactly Zero that have a vulnerability to Slashing Damage Also, there is exactly one monster in the entire game that is resistant to both Slashing and Piercing damage, while not being Resistant to Bludgeoning, and I am 99% sure that's just a typo. More importantly, Rogues can already use Slings (and Boomerangs), which means they can totally exploit Bludgeoning Sneak Attack Damage if they want to! What's more, if they somehow get Scimitar or Whip Proficiency , they can use that for Sneak Attack without house ruling as well. It begs the question of why they know how to use Longswords but not Scimitars.

Even if you look at potential new magical weapons, the only one of note is Berserker Axe. And I doubt a Rogue will be clamoring to wield such a weapon any time soon.

So in short, no there aren't any balance issues. Go ahead and make your Axe Gang.

5ekyu

Hero
Imo as long as it stays on light, I dont see a problem with subbing finesse out for light for sneak. Personally, I would have liked to see a thug sub-class that gave a more strength bashed tough guy rogue option. Of course it can happen now, finesse doesnt require dex after all, just gives the option.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Would it do any harm to let a Rogue sneak attack with a club (d4, light, bludgeoning)? Coshing the victim seems appropriately thematic! How about hand axes? Are there any balance issues?

None at all. I'd also allow a club to be used as a finesse weapon, because canes don't need a whole extra line in the weapon table.

I say no, because "blunt object" and "finesse" do not go together.

Any study of cane fighting disproves this notion entirely.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think it's both a thematic and a balance restriction, but the latter is more about excluding big weapons with a larger base damage. So I don't think there is a balance problem at all if you allow this with a club, which is an inferior weapon, if you are ok with it thematically. Besides, there is no explicit restriction to bludgeoning weapons, in fact I think you can sneak attack with a sling.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases