D&D 5E 5e Sorcerer versus Wizard, which is better?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would go sorcerer. I see people talking about the versatility of wizards but I think that is a smokescreen. Most wizards I have seen rarely swap out spells and if they do It they never swap out more than one or two. Instead, they fill their spellbook with useless trinkets and ribbons like a deranged Pokemon trainer “gotta catch em’ all”.

While that is a very good point, and IME I have to agree most of the time, I would consider the cap on known spells to prepared. At 1st level, when known spells is only 2, prepared is likely 4.

At level 10, the sorcerer will know 11 spells, while the wizard will have 14 or even 15 prepared spells. Those 3 or 4 extra spells choices can be crucial. If the player expects to maybe reach 20th level, the difference is 15 known versus a very likely 25 prepared. Now, you are talking 10 more spells you have the option to cast daily!

5ekyu

Hero
I would go sorcerer. I see people talking about the versatility of wizards but I think that is a smokescreen. Most wizards I have seen rarely swap out spells and if they do It they never swap out more than one or two. Instead, they fill their spellbook with useless trinkets and ribbons like a deranged Pokemon trainer “gotta catch em’ all”.
That will vary greatly from campaign to campaign and the attention the caster puts into it. My campaign experiences see a good amount of swapping- the compiling of several "sets" pre-picked for different objectives or settings - on the road, in town, stealth and sneak, combat, escape etc.

But the biggest gain in my book thsts gonna stsnd out is ritual casting of unprepared rituals. That let's them add a growing list of options to their already big list of available prepared - compared to the sorc.

Zardnaar

Legend
Where do wizard players pick up all these spells?

Most wizard players I see pick up the 2 freebies per level.

More experienced players seem to go out if their way to get more.

It's like rituals. There seems to be an attitude of you get them automatically.

I think I'm determined to go wizard and I'm just trying to get a handle on what I want the race and sub-class and Feats to be but thank you for the breakdown

For race, variant human, high elf and gnome are all very strong choices.

Feat wise, I would be sure to pick up resilient (constitution) at some point. Alert is great for a wizard. Lucky is good for anyone. But I would raise my intelligence first.

Abjuration and Divination are generally considered the top-tier subclass paths. But if you are starting at level 5+, I think evocation is also very good. I have found the ability to toss fireballs, walls of fire and cones of cold and have no worries about catching my party in the AoE has had a big effect on our tactical options.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Where do wizard players pick up all these spells?

Most wizard players I see pick up the 2 freebies per level.

More experienced players seem to go out if their way to get more.

It's like rituals. There seems to be an attitude of you get them automatically.

Sorcerers know 11 spells at level 10. Wizards know 24 at level 10.
Sorcerers can use any of those 11. Wizards prepare 15 (as well as use any of the others as rituals)

Those are significant differences.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I did find a list somewhere that had the Spells at the sorcerer knows that the wizard doesn't in the supposed wizard knows that the sorcerer doesn't and I did post that above. I do like me some fun combos with I think the problem is that as soon as you get a really fun combo off if it breaks the game then the DM gets mad and that's kind of why I'm shying away from sticking with the Warlock sorcerer combo. So I think I'm determined to go wizard and I'm just trying to get a handle on what I want the race and sub-class and Feats to be but thank you for the breakdown

One option I've not heard mentioned: Warwizard is a good middle of the road pick. Going first is important for a wizard. The extra defense and saves as needed are amazing. A little extra damage is always nice. Variant Human with alert is very nice for this setup.

I guess the question is what do you value:
Ability to not blast allies (evocation)
Ability to have extra hp (adjuration)
Ability to have high defense and concentration saves (bladesinger)
Ability to go first (war wizard)
Ability to cause failed or passed saves when you want (divination)

gyor

Legend

I notice this too. A good chunk of the Wizards "Batman" versatility comes from rituals, not swapping spells, and the Sorcerer can snag that with a feat.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Your better off going Shadow Magic Sorcerer, it's the most powerful subclass in the game IMHO. The Hound of Ill Omen is awesome, it's a mix of a divination effect, a summoned creature and Heighten Spell on repeat. Shadow Form is one of the most powerful defensive buffs in the game and it has some utility too. It's Teleporting is twice the range of the Way of Shadows Monk. It's gets a qausi version of Devils sight and Darkvision and the Darkness Spell known for free. It's also hard to kill. This is in addition to normal Sorcerer stuff. Still it's the one Sorcerer subclass where you might use more of your Sorcery points on Class features then Spells or Metamagic, it's that good.
I did see that, it was a contender. I think I really want to go Wizard now though, but this would have been my choice for Sorcerer.

Lucas Yew

Explorer
I personally think that prepared casters should've had "half level + casting mod" spells prepped per day, and spontaneous ones all have at least their level number of spells known for its level (at the very least, much more than what they know as of now)...

Wiseblood

Adventurer
While that is a very good point, and IME I have to agree most of the time, I would consider the cap on known spells to prepared. At 1st level, when known spells is only 2, prepared is likely 4.

At level 10, the sorcerer will know 11 spells, while the wizard will have 14 or even 15 prepared spells. Those 3 or 4 extra spells choices can be crucial. If the player expects to maybe reach 20th level, the difference is 15 known versus a very likely 25 prepared. Now, you are talking 10 more spells you have the option to cast daily!

You took the effort to do the math and you have a very good point. Those extra tools may be handy. IME the wizard has a few go to spells and When those don’t work they turn to their others. Also the Wizard’s archetype incentivizes the use of spells from one school. Which may be why they seem set in their ways.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases