D&D 5E 5e Spawn of Kyuss

Tormyr

Hero
Okay, so I changed this to a CR3 creature. I have already lowered the hit dice, dropped the damage dice, and lowered the Constitution score and proficiencies, but I need to remove some traits, and I am kind of attached to them. :) I figure I probably need to remove 2 of the 3 underlined items in the description. So which traits or actions do you think I should remove?

EDIT: If Regeneration is removed, I will probably add another 2 hit dice.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Okay, so I changed this to a CR3 creature. I have already lowered the hit dice, dropped the damage dice, and lowered the Constitution score and proficiencies, but I need to remove some traits, and I am kind of attached to them. :) I figure I probably need to remove 2 of the 3 underlined items in the description. So which traits or actions do you think I should remove?

EDIT: If Regeneration is removed, I will probably add another 2 hit dice.

I think you should remove turn resistance - which I think was the consensus even before your CR change. I'd keep the other two since the Spawn has traditionally had both. However, even though I'd keep regeneration I'd get rid of the resistance to non-magical weapons. I don't have the 3e or 3.5e stats in front of me, but I know the 2e version didn't require magical weapons to hit.

Tormyr

Hero
I think you should remove turn resistance - which I think was the consensus even before your CR change. I'd keep the other two since the Spawn has traditionally had both. However, even though I'd keep regeneration I'd get rid of the resistance to non-magical weapons. I don't have the 3e or 3.5e stats in front of me, but I know the 2e version didn't require magical weapons to hit.
I think I added that in because of what other similar CR undead had. I will have to check the Mummy and Wight now that I have changed it to CR3.

Enricorix

First Post
I found this topic searching for Age Of Worms conversions. I am working in some conversions myself, since the Age of Worms is about an epidemy, first of all I am treating the Kyuss worms as a vector. The green worm that carries and transmits the infectious pathogen known as The Gift of Kyuss. That disease is a magical and powerful curse as well. The gift of Kyuss infects primarily the living creatures transforming them into undead. As said only a living tiny, small, medium or large creature can be transformed into a spawn of Kyuss; larger creatures become normal zombies. Secondly the worms empowers some undeads making them resistant to turning undead for example. So my approach to this in therms of game statistics is adopt a Template: The Spawns of Kyuss.

As the Yuan-Ti I came with 2 Types of Kyuss Spawns: Spwnlings and Spawns.

Spawnling

When a tiny or small creature becomes a spawnling of Kyuss, it retains its statistics except as described below. The creature loses any trait, such as Amphibious, that assumes a living physiology. The creature also loses any class and spellcasting ability. It still understands the languages it knew in life but can't speak.

Type. The spawn of Kyuss's type changes to undead, and it no longer requires air, food, drink, or sleep.

Damage Resistance. The spawn of Kyuss has resistance to necrotic damage.

Damage Immunities. The spawn of Kyuss has immunity to poison. It also retains any immunities it had prior to becoming a spawn of Kyuss.

Condition Immunities. The spawn of Kyuss can’t be charmed, frightened, paralyzed, or poisoned. It also doesn’t suffer from exhaustion.

Kyuss Worm. Each worm deals 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing demage plus 2 (1d4) necrotic damage The worm is a tiny vermin with AC 10 and 1 hit point. Worms cannot survive outside of a host for more than 1 round, during this time, the worm can be killed by normal damage or the touch of silver.

New Reaction: Shroud of Worms. Any creature that touches a spawn with an unarmed strike or other natural weapon is immediately attacked by 1d4 worms.

Curative Destruction. Lesser Restoration and remove curse spells destroys the spawnling automatically.

Gift of Kyuss. If the spawnling hits a creature with its melee attack, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be infected by a Kyuss worm. On the spawn’s next turn, the worm burrows into the flesh of the target, making its way toward the brain and causing 2 (1d4) necrotic damage per round until it reaches the brain 3 (1d4+1) rounds later. Once the brain is infected the target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 10 (3d6) and for every 24 hours that elapse. If the infestation reduces the target's hit point maximum to 0, the host dies and rises as a spawn of Kyuss 7 (1d6+4) rounds later. The infestation lasts until removed by the lesser restoration spell or other mean. A DC 20 Wisdom (Medicine) check extracts the worm and kills it.

Spawn

When a medium or large creature becomes a spawn of Kyuss, it retains its statistics except as described below. The creature loses any trait, such as Amphibious, that assumes a living physiology. The creature also loses any class and spellcasting ability. It still understands the languages it knew in life but can't speak.

Type. The spawn of Kyuss's type changes to undead, and it no longer requires air, food, drink, or sleep.

Damage Resistance. The spawn of Kyuss has resistance to necrotic damage.

Damage Immunities. The spawn of Kyuss has immunity to poison. It also retains any immunities it had prior to becoming a spawn of Kyuss.

Condition Immunities. The spawn of Kyuss can’t be charmed, frightened, paralyzed, or poisoned. It also doesn’t suffer from exhaustion.

Regeneration. The spawn regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If the spawn takes radiant damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of the spawn’s next turn.

Turn Resistance. The spawn has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

Multiattack. If the creature had a single melee attack in life it gains an extra melee attack. If the creature already had multiattack, all its natural melee attacks such slam, bite and claws can transfer a Kyuss worm per hit.

New Action: Slam. If the target is a living creature, a Kyuss worm is transferred to the target creature.

New Action: Wormsling. A spawn can attack a single living creature using Kyuss worms as a ranged weapon at the range of 10 ft./20 ft. If hits a living creature a Kyuss worm is transferred to the target.

Kyuss Worm. Each worm deals 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing demage plus 2 (1d4) necrotic damage The worm is a tiny vermin with AC 10 and 1 hit point. Worms cannot survive outside of a host for more than 1 round, during this time, the worm can be killed by normal damage or the touch of silver.

New Action: Horrifying Visage. Each non-undead creature within 40 feet of the spawn that can see it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to this spawn’s Horrifying Visage for the next 24 hours. The DC is 8 + double Base Creature’s Proficiency Bonus + Base Creature’s Charisma Modifier.

New Reaction: Shroud of Worms. Any creature that touches a spawn with an unarmed strike or other natural weapon is immediately attacked by 1d4 worms.

Curative Transformation. Greater Restoration and remove curse spells remove the spawn’s Regeneration, Turn Resistance, Horrific Appearance, Kyuss Gift, Kyuss Worm, and all resistances and immunities except for poison and poisoned.

Gift of Kyuss. If the spawn hits a creature with its slam attack or Kyuss worm attack, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be infected by a Kyuss worm. On the spawn’s next turn, the worm burrows into the flesh of the target, making its way toward the brain and causing 2 (1d4) necrotic damage per round until it reaches the brain 3 (1d4+1) rounds later. Once the brain is infected the target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 10 (3d6) and for every 24 hours that elapse. If the infestation reduces the target's hit point maximum to 0, the host dies and rises as a spawn of Kyuss 7 (1d6+4) rounds later. The infestation lasts until removed by the lesser restoration spell or other mean. A DC 20 Wisdom (Medicine) check extracts the worm and kills it.

Spawnling template adds +1 on the Base Creature's Challenge/ XP (if the base creature is CR 1/2 or lower it becomes CR 1)

Spawn template adds +3 on the Base Creature's Challenge/ XP ( if the base creature is CR 1/2 or lower it becomes CR 3, it the base creature is CR 1 it becomes CR 4, so and on)

What do you think?

Im sticking with the original CR5 for my version. I want it to be scary.

Upped the AC, HD, proficieny bonus, HP, and damage with slam. Simplified the worm attack to a Con save (it was too finicky as written), and shortened the time to death, while including a debuff, but lowered the Medicine DC to remove to 15 (20 was waaaay too high for 5e). Made it immune to necrotic, gave it the single attack (to avoid multiple worm infestations).

Spawn of Kyuss
Medium undead, chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 84 (13d8 + 26)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 9 (-1) 14 (+2) 6 (-2) 11 (+0) 15 (+2)
Saving Throws Con +6, Wis +4
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +3
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison, necrotic
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)

Regeneration. The spawn regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If the spawn takes radiant damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of the spawn’s next turn.

Turn Resistance. The spawn has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

Curative Transformation. Remove curse or remove disease or more powerful effects that duplicate these effects remove the spawn's Regeneration, Turn Resistance, Horrific Appearance, Create Spawn, Kyuss Worm, and all resistances and immunities except for poison and poisoned.

Create Spawn. If a spawn hits a living creature with a Slam attack or Kyuss Worm attack, it transfers a Kyuss Worm to the creature. The creature must make a DC 14 Con save. On a failure the creature gains the poisoned condition as the worm burrows into the flesh of its target, making its way toward the brain. This causes 1 point of necrotic damage at the start of the creatures turn until it reaches the brain 1d4+1 rounds later. When inside a victim, the worm can be destroyed by remove curse or remove disease (or spells that duplicate these effects); dispel evil or neutralize poison delays its progress for 10d6 minutes. These spells affect multiple worms within the same victim. Worms cannot survive outside of a host for more than 1 round. A DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check extracts the worm and kills it.

Once the worm reaches the victim’s brain, it reduces the targets HP to zero. A creature infected with a Kyuss worm automatically fails death saving throws. If the host dies it rises as a spawn of Kyuss 1d6+4 rounds later. Small, Medium, and Large creatures become spawn as described above; smaller creatures quickly putrefy rather than becoming spawn; larger creatures become normal zombies. Spawn (and spawned zombies) are not under the control of their parent but usually follow after whatever spawn created them.

Any creature that touches a spawn with an unarmed strike or other natural weapon is immediately attacked by a worm and must make the same saving throw.

Actions

Multiattack: The spawn uses its Horrifying Appearance and then makes one attack: either a Slam attack or a Kyuss Worm attack.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 10 (3d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a living creature, a Kyuss worm is transferred to the creature.

Kyuss Worm. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 30 ft, one target. Hit: A Kyuss worm is transferred to the target.

Horrifying Appearance. Each non-undead creature within 40 feet of the spawn that can see it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to this spawn's Horrifying Visage for the next 24 hours.

Last edited:

Fion

Explorer
Nice but you've created a monster with abilities, reisstances & traits far beyond what a CR5 monster should have. I see you've sheared down Hit Points significantly in an attempt to balance but there are CR: 10 monsters who don't have that comprehensive a list of resistances & immunities. Turn resistance on a CR 5? Even true vampires don't have that. Sure you put in a way to shut down its most powerful abilities (like instant- unsavable death in 1d4+1 rounds) but they require a precious 3rd level spell slot. Beyond that there IS no 'remove disease' spell, that's wrapped up into Lesser Restoration.

This would be a great foe if it were CR: 10+ and a mid-campaign BBEG but it isn't, it's a very common enemy in the adventure path.

At CR 5 this should be severely trimmed back in my mind. A party of level 2 or 3 characters who encountered this wouldn't stand a chance in hell. IMHO Kyuss Spawn is best as a template that applies one or two of these traits while having powerful versions and less powerful versions of each.

Nice but you've created a monster with abilities, reisstances & traits far beyond what a CR5 monster should have. I see you've sheared down Hit Points significantly in an attempt to balance but there are CR: 10 monsters who don't have that comprehensive a list of resistances & immunities. Turn resistance on a CR 5? Even true vampires don't have that. Sure you put in a way to shut down its most powerful abilities (like instant- unsavable death in 1d4+1 rounds) but they require a precious 3rd level spell slot. Beyond that there IS no 'remove disease' spell, that's wrapped up into Lesser Restoration.

This would be a great foe if it were CR: 10+ and a mid-campaign BBEG but it isn't, it's a very common enemy in the adventure path.

At CR 5 this should be severely trimmed back in my mind. A party of level 2 or 3 characters who encountered this wouldn't stand a chance in hell. IMHO Kyuss Spawn is best as a template that applies one or two of these traits while having powerful versions and less powerful versions of each.

They'll be bumping it at 5th level (and I grant them an extra feat at 1st level). There are 4 of them (Swashbuckler, Moon Druid, Bear Barbarian, Evoker Wizard).

I upped it to CR 7, but decreased its PB to +3, and slightly increased the damage of its attacks. Silver weapons now harm it, and it's DC's are reduced. Turn resistance was nixed.

Spawn of Kyuss
Medium undead, chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 85 (13d8 + 26)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 9 (-1) 14 (+2) 6 (-2) 11 (+0) 15 (+2)
Saving Throws Con +5, Wis +3
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +2
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that arent silver
Damage Immunities poison, necrotic
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 7 (2,900XP)

Create Spawn. If a spawn hits a living creature with a Slam attack or Kyuss Worm attack, it transfers a Kyuss Worm to the creature. The creature must make a DC 13 Con save. On a failure the creature gains the poisoned condition as the worm burrows into its flesh, making its way toward the brain. This causes 1d6 points of necrotic damage at the start of each of the creatures turns until it reaches the brain 1d4+1 rounds later. When inside a victim, the worm can only be destroyed by remove curse, dispel evil, or greater restoration. Lesser restoration delays the worms progress for 24 hours, halting any continuing damage, but not removing the poisoned condition. These spells all affect multiple worms within the same victim. Worms cannot survive outside of a host for more than 1 round. A DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check also extracts the worm and kills it.

Once the worm reaches the victim’s brain, it reduces the targets HP to zero. A creature infected with a Kyuss worm automatically fails death saving throws. If the host dies it rises as a spawn of Kyuss 1d6+4 rounds later. Small, Medium, and Large creatures become spawn as described above; smaller creatures quickly putrefy rather than becoming spawn; larger creatures become normal zombies. Spawn (and spawned zombies) are not under the control of their parent but usually follow after whatever spawn created them.

Any creature that touches a spawn with an unarmed strike or other natural weapon is immediately attacked by a worm and must make the same saving throw.

Actions

Multiattack: The spawn uses its Horrifying Visage and then makes one attack: either a Slam attack or a Kyuss Worm attack.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a living creature, a Kyuss worm is transferred to the creature.

Kyuss Worm. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 30 ft, one target. Hit: A Kyuss worm is transferred to the target.

Horrifying Visage. Each non-undead creature within 40 feet of the spawn that can see it must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to this spawn's Horrifying Visage for the next 24 hours.

Last edited:

Remove ads