D&D 5E 5e witches, your preferred implementation?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

There was this whole thread discussing witches, along with why they never make it into official lore.

It was in Dragon mags 5, 20, 43, and 114 at least, it was used as a sample 'variant spell list' in the 3e DMG, and in Pathfinder as a core class, and I remember at least four d20 treatments of it (Citizen Games' "The Way of the Witch", Mongoose's "The Quintessential Witch", Green Ronin's "The Witch's Handbook", and The Le Games' "Unorthodox Witches"). There was a version of it in the Palladium RPG, an indie modern RPG called Witchcraft by C.J. Carella, the Verbena in Mage: the Ascension (and its possibly more relevant Dark Ages version) would certainly count, there's a witch class among many others in Shadow of the Demon Lord, and you could even count the Buffy RPG. So the topic's been popular over the years.

Tim Brannan's webpage has more witches than you can shake a +5 broom at:

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
The best treatment of witch class that I have seen for any edition was Steve Kenson's was in Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin) for 3e. However, the best witch that i have seen for 5e (and I have seen KibblesTasty's Witch and several others) has been by the Witch by Walrock's Homebrew which has a 4.7 out of 5 stars (67 votes) including a 5-star review from Timothy Brannan whom has written several popular witch classes for OSR games and worked on rpgs such as Angel, Buffy, and Ghosts of Albion.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
From what I've seen the witch is usually somewhere between a druid and an enchanter-subclass wizard--outdoor-focused, some healing, lots of debuffs particularly of the mental variety.

Yaarel

He Mage
From what I've seen the witch is usually somewhere between a druid and an enchanter-subclass wizard--some healing, lots of debuffs particularly of the mental variety.
That is why Bard works so well.

The elementalism of the Druid works less well, and the enchantment of the Bard works so well.

Both have a plants and animals thing going on, for the nature aspect.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I dunno. Bards are supposed to be charismatic, and in many cases the witch is an ugly (this is a big part of many tales), marginalized outsider.

So it kind of fits, like everything else.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I can't think of anything that normal witch lore has that is so "radical" it needs to be covered as a new class, the current ones can handle it just fine.
From a game design standpoint, "witch" occupies a much clearer conceptual space than "sorcerer" or "warlock" does and is more immediately familiar and understandable to a new player and the general public than almost any other class. (The general public will give you a blank stare when you mention "cleric" or "druid," for example.)

It might be that witches should have been introduced decades ago, and they've been elbowed out of the picture by this point, but they're arguably one of the biggest concepts in fantasy pop culture that doesn't have a clear specific analogue in D&D. (And no, "you can play it if you take something named something else and then adjust it in several ways a newbie wouldn't know how to do" isn't the same thing.)

For myself, I would prefer it be either a core class (replacing the sorcerer, perhaps, which has really lost a lot of its reason for being in 5E, with the wizard and warlock dividing up its 3E role) or as a PHB-level subclass of either the wizard, warlock or druid.

My wife is playing a transmuter hexblood, which is as close as she can get as a relative D&D newbie to capturing a classic Wizard of Oz wicked/Halloween witch vibe. It's not tremendously satisfying, honestly, so I might see if she's interested in playing a Witherbloom wizard instead. (She's got a real bias against druids after playing EverQuest.)

Remove ads