[5e_One Shot] Baptism by Fire

HP: 18/18
AC: 14 (Leather)
Bardic Inspiration:
3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots: 1st: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Pass Perc: 13
Pass Inv: 12
Pass Ins: 11
SPELL SAVE DC: 13Arcana: 4
Deception(race); 7
Disguise Kit: 5*
Cantrips
Minor Illusion; Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-1
DEX: 16 + 3
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 14+2
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:16 +3
SAVES:
STR: -1
DEX:+5
CON: +1
INT: +2
WIS: +1
CHA:+5
Performance: 5
Persuasion: 5
Perception (feat): 3
Slight of Hand: 5*
Stealth: 5*
Thief Tools: 5*
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,


The way to the boat was pleasant and Fern was excited about traveling with his new companions.
@FitzTheRuke
"Are you really a druid from the Emerald Enclave? I've never met one before. Can you talk to animals and stuff? This is Benny," Fern reaches into a pouch and pulls out a small mouse which sits on his shoulder as he feeds it, "I rescued him when the Tower Cook found a nest. He's an orphan. His full name is Benny2 because I used to own a mouse when I lived in the city and his name was also Benny.

Old Blind Bart - he wasn't really blind, he just pretended to be blind to make more money begging - Old Blind Bart would say, 'Oh, look, if’n it ain't Benny and Fern.' and I'd say, 'It should be Fern and Benny because I'm his owner.' and he'd say, 'No lad, big folk have all the advantages so you gots to raise up the little folk and put'em first whenever you can.'

I really miss Old Bart…I read that a mouse only lives for two years. Is that true?"


@Kobold Stew
Darrok hands the stone to give to the archmage, Fern listens in amazement as Darrow explains how it works. Before Fern leaves to deliver it, he pauses,

"Why are your knees backwards? Does that help you run and jump? Are you really fast? Maybe we can have a race later!"

* * * Later * * *

As Fern removes his small travel chest from the cart, he looks at the boat upon which they will travel. With some effort he hauls the chest to the boat and, with a bit of dismay watches as Captain Scrinner tries to balance the boat. Fern sighs and opens the chest. He he puts one of the books into his bag, then his dress clothes, cramming them in as he hears the sound of his dried rations getting crushed. He tests the weight of his bag as his sword and spellbook swing awkwardly at his sides. Seemingly satisfied, he puts the chest, with whatever items he'd chosen to leave behind, back into the wagon and his backpack into the boat. Still, despite his lightened load, it was more items he'd ever owned when he lived on the streets of the Capital.


 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad


FitzTheRuke

Legend
I really miss Old Bart…I read that a mouse only lives for two years. Is that true?"

The dwarf listened while the child rambled on. He had never been very good at the art of conversation, and he was out of practice. When he realized that there was a question in there somewhere he mumbled, "Oh, er... nae if they're in the wild. 'Tis closer to five years if they don't get eaten first. City life is hard on a wee fellow such as Benny - too much bread an'cheese; nae enoof healthy seeds. Too many cats. I suppose I coold talk t'him, but it's nae the sort of magic I tend t'work with. But here's a trick I'd think ye'd enjoy:"

He stood and held up a small twisted tree, cut as a club, but with the roots still hanging from the bottom. Peering at the mouse as if he needed to see what one looked like, he brought the club down on the ship's deck with a thump. For a brief moment, there was a cloud of dirt that obscured him and then was gone. Then, sitting there on the deck was a small, chubby red mouse (about twice the size of Benny) and the Dwarf was gone. The mouse ran toward the boy then stood up on its hind legs and ducked its head in a bow.
 

Aridrish stands to the side watching the soldiers mustering to leave. The dragonborn keeps out of the way and tries not to draw to much attention. With the war going on he did not feel it wise to bother the Untheran soldiers. He waited as they made their way out the gate. As the gate guard mentions the troubles to travelers he turns.

"Have there been many problems with attacks on the road between the forts? "
 

HP: 18/18
AC: 14 (Leather)
Bardic Inspiration:
3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots: 1st: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Pass Perc: 13
Pass Inv: 12
Pass Ins: 11
SPELL SAVE DC: 13Arcana: 4
Deception(race); 7
Disguise Kit: 5*
Cantrips
Minor Illusion; Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-1
DEX: 16 + 3
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 14+2
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:16 +3
SAVES:
STR: -1
DEX:+5
CON: +1
INT: +2
WIS: +1
CHA:+5
Performance: 5
Persuasion: 5
Perception (feat): 3
Slight of Hand: 5*
Stealth: 5*
Thief Tools: 5*
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,


"A race?" The Harengon looks down at the child, and feels indulgent. "I've not raced for a while, but when we get to the fort, we'll see how quick you are."
@Kobold Stew

Fern's face light's up, "YES! I'm fast! I beat the butler's son every single time and he's, like, fourteen. Woo hoo! " He runs off to do his errands. To Darrok, the boy doesn't look particularly fast...at all...


The dwarf listened while the child rambled on. He had never been very good at the art of conversation, and he was out of practice. When he realized that there was a question in there somewhere he mumbled, "Oh, er... nae if they're in the wild. 'Tis closer to five years if they don't get eaten first. City life is hard on a wee fellow such as Benny - too much bread an'cheese; nae enoof healthy seeds. Too many cats. I suppose I coold talk t'him, but it's nae the sort of magic I tend t'work with. But here's a trick I'd think ye'd enjoy:"

He stood and held up a small twisted tree, cut as a club, but with the roots still hanging from the bottom. Peering at the mouse as if he needed to see what one looked like, he brought the club down on the ship's deck with a thump. For a brief moment, there was a cloud of dirt that obscured him and then was gone. Then, sitting there on the deck was a small, chubby red mouse (about twice the size of Benny) and the Dwarf was gone. The mouse ran toward the boy then stood up on its hind legs and ducked its head in a bow.
@FitzTheRuke

As the dust settles and the form of Mardok is replaced by a mouse, Fern's mouth falls open,

"WHAAAT?! No way! That is the most amazing example of transmutation I've ever seen. You're, like, going to be Benny's best friend."

Fern gingerly places Benny next to Mardok, "Benny, Mordok. Mardok, Benny."

That's when the questions start:

"Is that a spell? If so what circle of power is it? Is the transconfiguration of the body a common practice amongst the elite of the Emerald Enclave or is this a requisite for membership? Do you want me to pick you up and spin you around like a ride?....."

The questions range from simple to incredibly, metaphysically complex. There are many and they keep coming as long as Mardok deigns to answer them.



@Neurotic
This whole time, Fern has been avoiding Amil and it isn't until they get into the boat and have shoved off from shore that he speaks to the Archivist.

"So....did Delenir ask you to keep tutoring me while we traveled? I mean...I love the History lessons but, you see....my chest was really heavy and I had to leave it behind and I could only fit so much in my bag.....I was REALLY waffling over bringing my History of Faerun [1080-1200] but...you know how heavy it is....so I left it behind. So, I'm not really sure we'll be able to do that."

There's an anxious look on his face.



 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
This whole time, Fern has been avoiding Amil and it isn't until they get into the boat and have shoved off from shore that he speaks to the Archivist.

"So....did Delenir ask you to keep tutoring me while we traveled? I mean...I love the History lessons but, you see....my chest was really heavy and I had to leave it behind and I could only fit so much in my bag.....I was REALLY waffling over bringing my History of Faerun [1080-1200] but...you know how heavy it is....so I left it behind. So, I'm not really sure we'll be able to do that."

There's an anxious look on his face.
"I don't think you will have to study history, Fern. What I hope to show you is making history, doing something and in turn discover why exactly it is very important to know why something happened before and how can it be avoided. If more people knew their history, less wars there would be on your...our...world."
 

Helmsman01

Explorer
OOC: missed all this

"Have there been many problems with attacks on the road between the forts? "
The guard is only slightly startled, but quickly gains his composer being address by the dragoborn. "Umm... ur no the highway has had no trouble. And the mountains were quiet until this recent attack on the patrol."

The other guard elbows the speaker as if he has said to much. "He just hopin' whatever got the patrol stays in the mountains." the second guard states with a look to shut up his companion.
 

Helmsman01

Explorer
Aridrish stands to the side watching the soldiers mustering to leave. The dragonborn keeps out of the way and tries not to draw to much attention. With the war going on he did not feel it wise to bother the Untheran soldiers.
OOC: The war ended 2 years ago, but relations are still strained. The mountains between the border is patrolled by both sides.
 
Last edited:

HP: 18/18
AC: 14 (Leather)
Bardic Inspiration:
3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots: 1st: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Pass Perc: 13
Pass Inv: 12
Pass Ins: 11
SPELL SAVE DC: 13Arcana: 4
Deception(race); 7
Disguise Kit: 5*
Cantrips
Minor Illusion; Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-1
DEX: 16 + 3
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 14+2
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:16 +3
SAVES:
STR: -1
DEX:+5
CON: +1
INT: +2
WIS: +1
CHA:+5
Performance: 5
Persuasion: 5
Perception (feat): 3
Slight of Hand: 5*
Stealth: 5*
Thief Tools: 5*
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,


"I don't think you will have to study history, Fern. What I hope to show you is making history, doing something and in turn discover why exactly it is very important to know why something happened before and how can it be avoided. If more people knew their history, less wars there would be on your...our...world."

You see Fern physically relax at the mention of not having to study History. He's quiet for a moment as he mulls over Amil's words.

"It would be really neat to be in a book - to make history.... The problem with History books is most everyone in them is already dead when they're written. Maybe I should write one now - while we're alive...did you know Mr. Rocksinger can turn into a mouse! That should definitely be written in a book. Thanks Amil."

Fern shuffles to the front of the boat and opens his spellbook flipping the pages to the middle. Looking pensively over the water, he starts to write.


I'm ready to move on when everyone else is!
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
You see Fern physically relax at the mention of not having to study History. He's quiet for a moment as he mulls over Amil's words.

"It would be really neat to be in a book - to make history.... The problem with History books is most everyone in them is already dead when they're written. Maybe I should write one now - while we're alive...did you know Mr. Rocksinger can turn into a mouse! That should definitely be written in a book. Thanks Amil."
"Well, here is a history lesson for you. History books aren't what you think they are. They aren't written long after everyone is dead. They are usually compilation of contemporary writings such as diaries, journals, official documents and eye-witness accounts and stories. They are penned in a format that gives the opinion of the author or as dry account of things related to other events at that time, but mostly, they are short version of multiple sources."
Amil realizes he started a a lecture and summarizes it quickly
"What I meant to say is that if you write a journal it will become part of a history book later. You don't write history while it's happening. That is called a journal or travelogue. It only becomes history once the events are in the past. But you can help your future self write a proper history. When you write be clear and concise. And remember that what you think is common knowledge may be forgotten in fullness of time. So, instead of writing only the king, write His Majesty King Karl-Franz in the year of"
 

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top