[5e_One Shot] Baptism by Fire

Aridrish nods to the captain. Not being from Unther the dragonborn was unimpressed with the list of titles. At the expectant look Aridrish turns the nod into a more formal bow.

"Well met Captain. I am Aridrish."

Aridrish expression darkens at the mention of the missing patrol.

"Another patrol has gone missing? Was this only the second or have there been others?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Nae secretive, no." Mardoc explained to Fern, "But we shoold be careful who we speak tae, an' who is nearby when we speak. Most folks're trustworthy, t'be sure. But somethin' is oop t'be surer an' oor master still has many enemies from his time in power."

For a dwarf, Mardoc wasn't much of a drinker. He took a pull from his beer and made a face, then continued, "There won't be much t'discover here, I expect. But along th'way to the fort, we ooght t'keep an eye oot. As to a plan, well. I ken we shoold start by speakin' to the officer what sent oot that patrol. After that... we will see."

HP: 18/18
AC: 14 (Leather)
Bardic
Inspiration:

3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots:
1st: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Pass Per: 13
Pass Inv: 12
Pass Ins: 11
SPELL SVE
DC: 13
Arcana: 4
Deception;7
Disguise :5
Cantrips
Minor Illusion;
Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-
DEX:16+3
CON:12+1
INT:14+2
WIS:12+1
CHA:16+3
SAVES:
STR:-1
DEX:+5
CON:+1
INT:+2
WIS:+1
CHA:+5
Perform: 5
Persuasion:5
Perception:3
Sl of Hnd: 5
Stealth: 5
Thief Tool:5
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,

"I'm sure our contact Lorella knows a thing or two."

Fern lowers his voice to a whisper,

"By the way, I noticed that she and the Captain were talking some kind of double-speak. I don't know what they were saying but it wasn't what it seemed they were saying....if you know what I mean..."

Bardic
Inspiration:

3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots:
SPELL SVE
Deception;7
Cantrips
Minor Illusion;
Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-
SAVES:
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,

Fern was surprised Mardoc would be unconcerned that their contact might be a smuggler. On the other hand, Delenir had entrusted Lorella to help the group on the mission. Fern relaxed, adding to Mardoc's plan,

"We probably want to talk to those grey-skinned gnomes but, if they're not around, Delenir said the Knight was on a one month patrol in the mountains. I imagine we should find out their route was and follow it and track down the gnomes. Maybe we'll see what they stumbled upon. What do you think, Darrok?"

Fern thinks for a minute,

"We'll probably need tents and rations...do you think we need a donkey to carry supplies for that kind of trek? Maybe we can take our horses. The Knight probably had a horse. We should find that out too. Oh...and maybe warmer clothes? Will it be cold in the mountains? I've never been camping before...unless you count a public park... Do you think I'll need better armour?"

Mardok, If we get a donkey, can I pick his name? Although, I suppose he'll already have a name. Do animals have their own names that people don't know? Like, maybe he will have a person name and a donkey name?"

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Aye, it will be cold in the mountains," said Mardoc, trying not to sound like he thought it was a stupid question, "An' we shoold be fine with horses, as long as we doon't take a wagon along."

As the boy blathered on, Mardoc did his best not to get annoyed. He picked something from the rant that he could focus on and replied, "Aye, animals have their own names. Ye won't ken them, though. They don't think in words, y'see. They think in smells; tastes; noises. They can't speak each oothers names, nor e'en their own, but they ken them."

Helmsman01

Explorer
Aridrish nods to the captain. Not being from Unther the dragonborn was unimpressed with the list of titles. At the expectant look Aridrish turns the nod into a more formal bow.

"Well met Captain. I am Aridrish."

Aridrish expression darkens at the mention of the missing patrol.

"Another patrol has gone missing? Was this only the second or have there been others?"
"No, no Aridrish." Captain Torngrim says in ernst. "It's the same patrol. Their destination was Fort Wheelan, and I was just asking the Lord Commander if there was any word."

Belrion looksing serious his smile gone says. "Nothing from the short patrols I sent out. And no one from the original patrol has come down the pass. They are a tenday late so I expect none are alive to return."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Amil joined the boy, the artificer, and the dwarf after he extricated himself from the workers. He caught the end of the conversation about the animals and preparation for the mountains.

"Even if we go with the horses, a mule or some such beast of burden could be useful if we're going to carry tents and stuff. You'll know better what we need, Mardoc. I have complete faith in your abilities. And yours too, Darock. Fern, I already know to be capable, no faith required."
He stops for a moment, meditating and then delivers something in a sing-song, sounding as part of a mass rather than normal conversation.
"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
He finishes with
"We are stronger as a group."

"Also, Fern, you're thinking too small. EVERYTHING has a name. This table has a name, it is combination of the name of the tree it was made of, it's purpose and position. There is a whole dogma about sooth ounn, or true naming things."

Bardic
Inspiration:

3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots:
SPELL SVE
Deception;7
Cantrips
Minor Illusion;
Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-
SAVES:
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,

"Even if we go with the horses, a mule or some such beast of burden could be useful if we're going to carry tents and stuff. You'll know better what we need, Mardoc. I have complete faith in your abilities. And yours too, Darock. Fern, I already know to be capable, no faith required."
Fern smiled with pride but said nothing.
"Also, Fern, you're thinking too small. EVERYTHING has a name. This table has a name, it is combination of the name of the tree it was made of, it's purpose and position. There is a whole dogma about sooth ounn, or true naming things."
"That may be true but Mardoc can't talk to tables....." Turning to Mardoc, "You can't talk to tables, right?"

Fern waives shyly at the pretty elf as a way to invite her to the table

Last edited:

Bardic
Inspiration:

3/3 (1d6)
Skills
Spell Slots:
SPELL SVE
Deception;7
Cantrips
Minor Illusion;
Vicious Mockery
STATS:
STR:
8-
SAVES:
Known Spells 1st
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages,
Detect Magic,
Heroism,
Sleep,

She has a genuine smile on her face but some you are sure she is sizing the lot of you up.
There's young boy with them. Maybe he's someone's page? He is about 4.5 feet tall and thin - around 70lbs. He's wearing traveling clothes and, with some difficulty, is carrying a backpack that's stuffed full. He's sporting a freshly quaffed head of brown hair and everything he owns is new: new bag and new cloak, new boots. Underneath, you get the glimpse of (new)leather armour. Everything he wears fits 'with room to grow'. On his hip, he carries a new rapier that has a red gem in the hilt. It hangs awkwardly low and, when he walks, he's constantly pulling it up or tripping on it.

Sorry about the double-post. It's early in the morning and I don't have to be a work for a couple of hours yet and this is too fun.

For the record, I made a deception of 24 to make Fern look even more useless than he is.

Last edited:

Remove ads