D&D (2024) 6E When?

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, for everyone (including me) focusing on the current success of 5e as a reason we won't see a new ed, it's interesting to reflect that, at the height of D&D's fad-years popularity, there were 3 editions in print, /concurrently/, and TSR essentially, though with no fanfare, rolled rev on Basic D&D a couple times.

The strategy is different now, it might be WotC will, in even greater contrast to the fad years, decline to roll to a 6e even /after/ 5e plateaus or falls off.
The rev-roll-to-goose-sales strategy was born of a time when the pool of players was small, dedicated and relatively stable. Now that it's larger and more casual, a different strategy may be called for in the face of a drop off in sales.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, for everyone (including me) focusing on the current success of 5e as a reason we won't see a new ed, it's interesting to reflect that, at the height of D&D's fad-years popularity, there were 3 editions in print, /concurrently/, and TSR essentially, though with no fanfare, rolled rev on Basic D&D a couple times.

The strategy is different now, it might be WotC will, in even greater contrast to the fad years, decline to roll to a 6e even /after/ 5e plateaus or falls off.
The rev-roll-to-goose-sales strategy was born of a time when the pool of players was small, dedicated and relatively stable. Now that it's larger and more casual, a different strategy may be called for in the face of a drop off in sales.

"Past results are not indicative of future performance," as they say. The TTRPG industry is so young, as industry goes, that definitive pattern recognition is unlikely.

darjr

I crit!
Hmmm to that point they do employ game designers. They want to design. But I don’t think Hasbro or WotC would want to redo or iterate a version just because. And I dint think WotC would get tired of publishing a bestseller.

Oofta

Legend
Hmmm to that point they do employ game designers. They want to design. But I don’t think Hasbro or WotC would want to redo or iterate a version just because. And I dint think WotC would get tired of publishing a bestseller.

Which is part of the reason their core staff is kept relatively small. The initial cost of developing the PHB has long since been recouped, why would they make that investment again until they absolutely have to do so?

Add in a subscription model for tools like DndBeyond and you have a steady cash stream for the foreseeable future.

Remove ads