• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A 10 level Prestige Class that gets 1d6 Sneak Attack damage every level: Unbalanced?

Is the 10-level PrC that gives Sneak Attack every level (see below) unbalanced?

• Underpowered

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Balanced

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Slightly too Strong

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Significantly Overpowered

Votes: 88 82.2%

Technik4

First Post
As for repentance, you'd be surprised at how merciful deities of mercy can be.

I would guess there would still be a heavy penance, not to mention learning the rites of the faith, etc. And, regardless, if I (as the DM-Deity) believed it was done in a premeditated manner to gain some numerical advantage...let's just say it would be easier to continue to be evil and they would have to work hard to truly repent. [/Bastard DM]

Technik

Rystil Arden

First Post
Technik4 said:
I would guess there would still be a heavy penance, not to mention learning the rites of the faith, etc. And, regardless, if I (as the DM-Deity) believed it was done in a premeditated manner to gain some numerical advantage...let's just say it would be easier to continue to be evil and they would have to work hard to truly repent. [/Bastard DM]

Technik
Oh, as a DM, I completely agree that I would be angry if a player tried to pull this. But as for a good character / deity, they are supposed to view any non-evil-outsider, no matter how evil, as a possible subject for redemption.

Crothian

First Post
Technik4 said:
If you kill someone with the intention to repent afterwards, how much weight do you think such repentance would have with a Deity?

I would say it doesn't matter. The assassin class does need need a diety or do any of the requirements. A character can also change alignment without need of diety interference.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Crothian said:
I would say it doesn't matter. The assassin class does need need a diety or do any of the requirements. A character can also change alignment without need of diety interference.
'strue, could be a good-aligned atheist.

Crothian

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
'strue, could be a good-aligned atheist.

not even that. It calles into question how active are the dieties. If a character has no divine spells or powers, then there is little the diety can take away. So, the character could kill and redeem himself while still paying respect to certain gods.

Now if he worshiped an evil good and switched to a rival good god, there may be some other penalities. But it is role playing stuff and not mechanical mostly.

Technik4

First Post
A character can also change alignment without need of diety interference.

True. In this case the DM (who is a god-like force in the game) would have to determine whether or not the character had truly changed. Evil characters do good things, its the motives that make them evil. If a character who had remorselessly killed someone to join an assasins guild and then later wanted to repent, it would still be a while before they could attain even Neutral status, IMC. Actions speak louder than words in life and in campaigns.

Technik

Crothian

First Post
Technik4 said:
True. In this case the DM (who is a god-like force in the game) would have to determine whether or not the character had truly changed. Evil characters do good things, its the motives that make them evil. If a character who had remorselessly killed someone to join an assasins guild and then later wanted to repent, it would still be a while before they could attain even Neutral status, IMC. Actions speak louder than words in life and in campaigns.

I agree, but again that can easily vary from game to game. If you want to have mechanics blanced by role playing in your own games where you are ther law, it is doible,. But in general it just doesn't work.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Taken by a character with no other Sneak Attack progression, such as Fighter, it might be acceptable-- but it's a stretch.

Rogue 9/Assassin 1/Wack PrC 10 would have 16d6 Sneak Attack dice at 20th level, though-- seven more than a straight rogue and six more than the Rogue 10/Assassin 10, which, in my opinion, should be the character build with the greatest Sneak Attack potential.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
Taken by a character with no other Sneak Attack progression, such as Fighter, it might be acceptable-- but it's a stretch.

Rogue 9/Assassin 1/Wack PrC 10 would have 16d6 Sneak Attack dice at 20th level, though-- seven more than a straight rogue and six more than the Rogue 10/Assassin 10, which, in my opinion, should be the character build with the greatest Sneak Attack potential.
Wack Prc is actually a suggested replacement for Assassin.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Wack Prc is actually a suggested replacement for Assassin.

Yeah. I posted before I noticed the connection to the other thread.

There's still no way in Hell I would allow this-- 10d6 at 20th level is already more than sufficient.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads