A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Hawthorne, would you like for me to mask our presence again?" Argenti Inquires. "Either way, do you suppose we should start investigating with this first house here, on the left?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"I think Ethian makes sense... that manor looks in best shape and could give us a good view of the rest of the village plus perhaps have the most comfort as a staging area. If that's the tree Ruznami needs too, then it's right there."

He turns to Argenti and gives a little shrug. "If it doesn't tire out your resources too much I suppose we could... but I don't know how necessary it might be if we are the only living beings here. I trust you to make the best call for what you can do."

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Mountain Road
Day 24/Morning
Round 0

“Yes, that seems to be the tree,” Ruznami told the others, consulting Lukas’ map. “That puts the cemetery over there,” he indicated.

Ruznami headed toward the tree. He nodded to Crock John, who had taken up sentry there over the group’s supplies. The dwarf searched for the hollow of the tree and the necklace it was supposed to contain.

Perception: 1D20 = [1] = 1
Investigation: 1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Agents headed up the main road for the old tree and the manor house. As they did, a cold wind blew through the town, causing shutters to rattle like chattering teeth. Between two buildings, they could see a third, larger building with a sign swinging crookedly from a single hook. In better times, it must have been a shop - the sign featured a wand crossed with a blacksmith’s hammer.

Looking at the manor house, Ethian thought for a moment that he had seen a figure standing at a window on an upper floor, but he blinked as a spot of rain hit his eyelash, and it was gone - or perhaps had always been a smudge-mark on the glass in the shape of a man.

Crock Jon and Shedrick placed their supply packs next to the old tree while Ruznami looked about it. On the west side of the tree was a hollow knot, about 5 feet above the ground and filled with dead leaves and empty nut shells. Ruznami dug out the dried decaying mass, and found resting within the hollow, a delicate necklace: a thumb-sized platinum oval pendant threaded on a thin chain inscribed with “For Lorna, Forever” in a careful script.

OldHouse.jpg

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian does a double take on the shadow he may have seen. He raises his hand in a friendly gesture in case he is being observed and says: "Companions, we'll need to be civilized and knock at the door. I think I saw something move inside the manor. If you agree, I'll knock and announce who we are."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Inside the building, you say? Huh. Squatter or figment both seem likely and possible at this point. I agree knocking would be the best course... to let a squatter know we're here and to make a hasty escape if they wish to avoid confrontation. And if it's a figment? A rapping on wood won't make a lick of difference." Hawthorne half-smiles to the high elf.

He then glances over towards the tree as the dwarven wizard digs through the knot opening in the trunk, throwing leaves and other detritus to the ground. When Ruzmadi pulls out the pendant, Hawthorne nods in admiration. "Well, that's one duty taken care of. But I suspect that might end up being the easiest of them all." Turning back to the manor and pulling his coat a little tighter around his neck as the winds blow by... he motions to the manor with his chin. "Let's go see who is home, shall we? I'd like to get out of this cold if nothing else. Maybe get a good fire going in the hearth if the building allows."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian returns Hawthorne's smile and nods. He then proceeds to knock at the door, steps back and says: "Greetings, we are agents of the Black Dragon Gate Mining Consortium. We are here to investigate the disappearance of this town and mine. We seek refuge and information."

He then waits to see if anyone opens the doors and listens to hear any noise coming from the inside.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As the sound of Ethian's rapping knock faded, for a moment, there was nothing but the sound of the wind on the loose tiles of the roof, and the dripping from one of the gutters. Then, suddenly, a blood-piercing scream came from somewhere inside. The others were not as sure, but Ethian and Hawthorne were convinced that it came from the second floor, near the back, on the west side.

Remove ads